• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Info on LdSH vs RCD

kimbrian

Inactive
Reaction score
Didn't start the post for people to argue about which one is better!

Just for people to give as much info as possible of goods and bads about both regiments

so that those who are wondering which to pick when asked.
(I requested CT for 12blinde by the way. The franco regiment. Because I love French language)

Please share about:

Shacks
Off base residence
Mess
Environment
People
Weather/ landscape etc.

Thanks!

I'm biased in my choice of going LdSH(RC) being from the Edmonton area.

Shacks
Shacks are on the nicer side of military housing that I've seen. There's a fair number of single-occupant and two-person rooms. All of the rooms in the shacks have in-suite bathrooms.

Off base residence
You have a city of nearly 1 Million people at your doorstep, literally a 5 minute drive from base. Sky's the limit for housing choices.

Mess
To be honest, haven't set foot in the place after clear-in yet.

Environment
The work environment in the tank barns, recce, maintenance and transport lines, are always alive and busy, and there's always a lot of maintenance going on.

The Strathcona's hold particular pride in their regimental history, so much so that we have a privately funded Regimental Society than maintains the Strathcona Mounted Troop, complete with real horses, for ceremonial occasions, and a Historical Vehicle Troop, with many fully functioning antique vehicles from WW2 and beyond. These regimental organizations are maintained by non-public,  donated funds, many of which come from the willing donation of the regiment's current serving soldiers. As a result, appropriate knowledge of regimental history is expected from the CO all the way down to the newest Trooper.

People
The Edmonton area is home to many tradespeople, oilworkers, and business types thanks to the ever-present oil industry in the province. Again, being from the area, I'm biased into thinking we're not too bad.  :nod:

Weather/ landscape etc.
Very hot summers, and very cold winters. Luckily for us humidity isn't much of an issue, so those weather extremes are very bearable. Winter and summer we get lots of sunshine.

Back