• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iowa man recovering after being shot by hunting dog in freak accident

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Iowa man recovering after being shot by hunting dog in freak accident
Published: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 | 12:02 PM ET Canadian Press: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Article Link

DES MOINES, Iowa - A hunter is recovering after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger, an official said Tuesday.

James Harris, 37, of Tama, Iowa, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season, said Alan Foster, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

"He had surgery and is doing pretty well," he said. "He took between 100-120 pellets in about a four-inch (10-centimetre) circle to his calf."

Harris was listed in good condition Tuesday, officials at University Hospitals in Iowa City said.

Harris was hunting with a group about five kilometres north of Grinnell. The group shot a bird, and when Harris went to get it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, his hunting dog stepped on the gun, Foster said.

The gun was about a metre away from his leg.
More on link

I heard this on the radio. They said that stuff like this happens several times a year throughout Canada and the U.S..

There was a segment in Bowling for Columbine where there was a news story about a hunter who dressed up a dog in a hunters outfit for a photograph and the gun apparantley slipped and the hunter was shot.

This reminded me of that haha

Maybe it really wasn't an "accident" on the dog's part..... >:D

Silly bugger, makes me get up at oh dark stupid to go hunting....I'll show him.....grrrrr!!

At least he was not shooting with Dick Cheney.

Not stealing the thunder from the other Cheney post, ha!

Cheers,

Wes

Back