• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran Super Thread- Merged

One thing that always impressed me was the speed and efficiency of the US Navy in raising the ships hit and sunk during Pearl Harbour. I was surprised at how inefficiently the process of raising the Helga Ingstad was and how they wrote off the entire ship. Yup - a whole lot of more complex equipment ... but still.

🍻

One thing that always impressed me was the speed and efficiency of the US Navy in raising the ships hit and sunk during Pearl Harbour. I was surprised at how inefficiently the process of raising the Helga Ingstad was and how they wrote off the entire ship. Yup - a whole lot of more complex equipment ... but still.

🍻
What's the cost of the electronic components of a modern warship compared to the cost of the hull. If all the electronics have to be replaced anyway and they are wired right into the structure of the ship then it's probably cheaper/easier to start again from scratch rather than repairing.

Not much electronics on a WWII battleship and I doubt much of the electrical was built into the structure from what I remember of the few times I've been aboard de-commissioned ships...lots of overhead exposed conduit, etc. if I recall.

I must admit, my last time on a warship (not counting the Missouri) was a Brit frigate in the 70s. And yes, cabling and piping was all exposed to facilitate repair and damage control. I've only seen photos of the interior of the CPF and it seems that was still the standard then.

I look at it from the time factor and related labour costs. How long does it take to build a hull from scratch v stripping the hull of components requiring replacement? Installation of components should be a wash.

As an aside, I can see the problem with refitting a CPF from scratch because I've seen the tapes that have all the plans in the LAC facilities in Halifax and that besides the fact that they are disintegrating, there is no computer at hand to read them anyway. :confused:

🍻

🍻
Pour yourself a cold one and enjoy

🍻
I doubt it can be done today. How many sea going cranes can the US operate? I remember reading about people complaining about that on the internet when that boat hit that bridge

Couldn't have happened to a nicer navy.....

GBYDFiubsAASvze.jpg:large

Back