• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iraq in Crisis- Merged Superthread

ISIS is now declaring a Caliphate over the territory it controls in Syria and Iraq. If it were up to me I would allow Iran and Syria to expend their resources fighting ISIS, and let the Gulf States spend whatever they want supporting them. The carrier battle group in the Arabian Sea and one in the Med would be best employed to keep the fighting contained in the region, and prevent it from spreading beyond the Middle East.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/isis-declares-creation-of-mideast-caliphate/

ISIS declares creation of Mideast caliphate across Iraq and Syria

BAGHDAD - The al Qaeda breakaway group that has seized much of northern Syria and huge tracks of neighboring Iraq formally declared the creation of an Islamic state on Sunday in the territory under its control.

The spokesman for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), Abu Mohammed al-Adnani, made the announcement in an audio statement posted online. Islamic extremists have long dreamed of recreating the Islamic state, or caliphate, that ruled over the Middle East for hundreds of years.

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, commander of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIs), is shown in a U.S. State Department wanted poster handout image. U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT/REUTERS
Abu Mohammed al-Adnani said the group's chief, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, is the new leader, or caliph, of the Islamic state. He called on those living in the areas under the organization's control to swear allegiance to al-Baghdadi and support him.

"The legality of all emirates, groups, states and organizations becomes null by the expansion of the caliph's authority and the arrival of its troops to their areas," al-Adnani said.

Al-Baghdadi rose through the ranks of the organization before becoming emir some time in 2010-2011. The group relies on a handful of senior decision makers, but al-Baghdadi has the final word, according to the intelligence official. Most of its funding comes via robbery, extortion and smuggling, with a small percentage coming from donations. ISIS has also reportedly looted banks in some of the cities its seized.

Al-Adnani said that with the creation of the caliphate, the group was changing its name to just the Islamic State, dropping the mention of Iraq and the Levant.

Play VIDEO
Iraqi military's anti-ISIS offensive stalls in Tikrit
The Iraqi military's offensive against ISIS stalled over the weekend during an assault on the jihadist-held city of Tikrit, reports CBS News correspondent Charlie D'Agata.

While the situation is fluid, the military's largest-yet offensive was pushed back and is the latest in a series of failures against the militants, D'Agata reports.

Play VIDEO
Questions surround Iraqi army’s advance on Tikrit
It was unclear what immediate practical impact the caliphate declaration would have on the ground in Syria and Iraq, or among the wider global jihadi community.

Former CIA Director Michael Morell told "CBS This Morning" earlier this month that ISIS' first goal is "to set up that caliphate and, it's not just in Iraq and in Syria."

"Their second goal then is to use that as a safe haven to attack the United States," he warned.

Play VIDEO
Solving the Rubik's cube of Iraq violence
Despite that prospect, the creation of a safe haven isn't the only concern for U.S. intelligence officials, Morell said. They also have concerns about ISIS sparking a very bloody sectarian war that could create a massive humanitarian crisis and even more chaos in the region along Shia and Sunni sectarian lines.

U.S. advisers have been part of the recent offensive against ISIS, according to Iraqi officials, helping to coordinate resources. U.S. officials also announced recently they are flying armed drones over Iraq.

Despite the threat of a caliphate safe haven, and the Iraqi military's thus-far ineptitude against ISIS, there is unlikely to be much immediate wider American involvement in the conflict.

Both the Obama administration and members of Congress have expressed repeated concerns about the functionality of the Iraqi government, currently headed by Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Lawmakers of both parties increasingly say al-Maliki needs to depart from office if there's any chance of a political reconciliation to stabilize the country and curb the growing threat from ISIS.

"He needs to put together a government. We know that Sunnis and Shias alike have come out against him, but if you're going to want the Kurds, the Sunnis and the Shias working together, it cannot work with Maliki," said Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday. "He's going to continue to go to others to prop him up. We see the Russian planes coming in, and he continues to go to Iran."

Play VIDEO
Joe Manchin: U.S. "military might" will not fix Iraq
In separate interviews on "Face the Nation" Sunday, Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., and House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Mike McCaul, R-Texas, reached the same conclusion.

"I don't think this can happen with Maliki in power. The good news is they have to finalize their government at the end of this month, and I do think the Shias are starting to move towards that direction to a new leader," McCaul said.

Manchin, for his part, predicted that Iraq's Shiite prime minister will not "change his ways," and went so far as to predict that his fall from power could lead to a change in national boundaries within the Middle East.

"The lines that were drawn 100 years ago won't be the lines when it's all finished. And we, for some reason, don't want to accept that," Manchin said.

Barrasso also said it's possible that Iraq breaks into three different states drawn along religious lines, especially because the current destabilization gives the Kurds an opening to establish a long-sought independent area.

"I think it's in the best interest of the United States to have a stable Iraq, but we're not there now," he said.

Play VIDEO
Flash Points: Why are foreign fighters gathering in Iraq and Syria?
CBS News Senior National Security Analyst Juan Zarate, a national security adviser under former President George W. Bush, said recently the threat has the potential to reach U.S. soil.

ISIS "is not just a threat in Baghdad or even Syria. It's a real threat to the West, because it's able to recruit fighters, train them, send them out, and then possibly redeploy them back West," Zarate said.

The concern is that the foreigners recruited by ISIS could become more radicalized after their time on the battlefield and return home to "attack their fellow citizens in the West," Zarate said Wednesday.

The fighters "turn in [their] passport, get paid for it, the passports then get reconfigured and sold to others heading back west," he said. "There's an entire infrastructure to getting people in and out, money in and out, and it's very easy then to have people hidden in that mix. The challenge then is: who's coming out to potentially attack [other] countries?"

Thucydides said:
ISIS is now declaring a Caliphate over the territory it controls in Syria and Iraq. If it were up to me I would allow Iran and Syria to expend their resources fighting ISIS, and let the Gulf States spend whatever they want supporting them. The carrier battle group in the Arabian Sea and one in the Med would be best employed to keep the fighting contained in the region, and prevent it from spreading beyond the Middle East.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/isis-declares-creation-of-mideast-caliphate/

The dilemma of any popular movement in the Arab world as described by Alexander:

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

a.k.a. This too shall pass......

They have a 5 year plan to include Spain, the Balkan states, the Middle East, North Africa and large areas of Asia.  Good luck with Israel in particular.  There's a photo in the article of Russian warplanes at Baghdad setting up on Saturday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674736/ISIS-militants-declare-formation-caliphate-Syria-Iraq-demand-Muslims-world-swear-allegiance.html#ixzz367okIfsS

Curious that their map doesn't show the parts of Sherwood Park, various sub divisions and university campuses in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa? bad staff work there ISIS, you took your own forward elements off the OP.  Your Loggies wont be able to send over the necessary rations, tight fitting jeans and running shoes.

whiskey601 said:
Curious that their map doesn't show the parts of Sherwood Park, various sub divisions and university campuses in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa? bad staff work there ISIS, you took your own forward elements off the OP.  Your Loggies wont be able to send over the necessary rations, tight fitting jeans and running shoes.

BA DUM TIS

Still boggles my mind why none of these Middle Eastern States have bomb the F#@$ out of these guys yet, They are infringing on their borders. Middle East needs to start handling its own shit.

Maybe it's time for the US Government to accuse them of having WMDs.  *wink wink*

Actually, I think that is not the way to go.  I think we should just slam the door in their faces and let them sort themselves out. 

Do we need their oil?  Not really. 

George Wallace said:
Actually, I think that is not the way to go.  I think we should just slam the door in their faces and let them sort themselves out. 

Agree completely. Besides, if/when we do need their oil it'll still be there for the taking (or should I say "purchasing").

George Wallace said:

No, but the oil companies need the excuse of "regional instability" in order to drive up the price of oil that we don't even get from there... Follow the money...

There is a great hope among many people (and not just in the region) that ISIS will burn itself out. Their barbaric practices will most certainly reduce the level of popular support, so as they start receiving pushback from Iran and Syria (and their proxy Hezbollah army), not to mention the Kurds, they will discover that getting supporters and new fighters from the "Caliphate" won't be quite so easy. Of course things won't work out quite as neatly as we would like.

I suspect the real reason the Jordanians, Kuiwaitis and Sauds have not taken to the field against ISIS has more to do with the well founded fear of the Salafist radicals are active in their own countries. For the Gulf States in particular, exporting their own radicals along with financial and logistic support is a way of killing several birds with one stone; they get rid of the most radical people, they can identify others who remain and these radicals are fighting the Gulf States own proxy war against Iran, and Iran's proxies and allies. If they can get the Americans to fight for them as well, then bonus!

Thucydides said:
There is a great hope among many people (and not just in the region) that ISIS will burn itself out. Their barbaric practices will most certainly reduce the level of popular support, so as they start receiving pushback from Iran and Syria (and their proxy Hezbollah army), not to mention the Kurds, they will discover that getting supporters and new fighters from the "Caliphate" won't be quite so easy. Of course things won't work out quite as neatly as we would like.

I suspect the real reason the Jordanians, Kuiwaitis and Sauds have not taken to the field against ISIS has more to do with the well founded fear of the Salafist radicals are active in their own countries. For the Gulf States in particular, exporting their own radicals along with financial and logistic support is a way of killing several birds with one stone; they get rid of the most radical people, they can identify others who remain and these radicals are fighting the Gulf States own proxy war against Iran, and Iran's proxies and allies. If they can get the Americans to fight for them as well, then bonus!

I believe they have spread themselves too thin and their actions far exceed what the regional players are prepared to ignore. I'm betting they are about to get schwacked.

Transporter said:
I believe they have spread themselves too thin and their actions far exceed what the regional players are prepared to ignore. I'm betting they are about to get schwacked.

Oh please let there be a smiting.... Along with the ones that leave here to wage jihad.

A prelude to a larger US buildup in the region? And wouldn't a better title for this thread be "Iraq Crisis (2014)" since this ISIS threat involves a larger part of Iraq?

Military.com

US Sending 300 More US Troops to Iraq

Associated Press | Jul 01, 2014 | by Josh Lederman

WASHINGTON — The U.S. is sending another 300 troops to Iraq to beef up security at the U.S. Embassy and elsewhere in the Baghdad area to protect U.S. citizens and property, officials said Monday.
That raises the total U.S. troop presence in Iraq to approximately 750, the Pentagon said.

The State Department, meanwhile, announced that it was temporarily moving an unspecified "small number" of embassy staff in Baghdad to U.S. consulates in the northern city of Irbil and the southern city of Basra. This is in addition to some embassy staff moved out of Baghdad earlier this month,

Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the Baghdad embassy "will be fully equipped to carry out" its mission.

(...EDITED)

Military.com

Bataan Amphib Heads to Persian Gulf

Jun 30, 2014 | by Richard Sisk
The U.S. amphibious assault ship Bataan with 1,000 Marines aboard was headed to the Persian Gulf Monday as part of the buildup of U.S. forces in the region to protect Americans and counter the threat to the Iraqi government from Islamic extremists.

Pentagon officials confirmed that the 844-foot Bataan, based in Norfolk, Va., had left the Mediterranean and was expected to join six other Navy warships in the Persian Gulf, including the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush.

Until earlier this month, the Bataan and the Marines from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, based in Camp Lejeune, N.C., were on standby off the coast of Libya in case of an emergency at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.

The other warships already in the Persian Gulf were the destroyers Arleigh Burke, Truxtun, and O'Kane, the cruiser Philippine Sea, the dock landing ship Gunston Hall, and the amphibious transport dock Mesa Verde.

(...EDITED)

One of my first clear memories of an international news event was the fall of Saigon in 1975.  Can the US afford to abandon the Green Zone in Baghdad if ISIS proves capable of moving on the city?  The images of fleets of helicopters ferrying American personnel out of danger and leaving their "client" government to face the music on their own would have a huge impact on world opinion of the USA's ability and willpower (already in question by many). 

Is the alternative...direct US military intervention by air attacks or even ground troops to maintain control of the city...a much better alternative?  You might as well put up billboards saying that the Iraqi government of Nouri al-Maliki is totally illegitimate and is only being kept in power against the will of the country's own people by the power of the US military. 

I agree with others that have suggested that possibly the best long term solution for Iraq (and other ethnically split areas) is for the Sykes-Picot borders in the region to be abandoned and more "natural" borders between the various groups be allowed to take their place (understanding that this will NOT be a smooth or peaceful change).

Is this clip from the above article a possible precursor to full embassies in an independent Kurdistan and a new Shiite state around Basra?

The State Department, meanwhile, announced that it was temporarily moving an unspecified "small number" of embassy staff in Baghdad to U.S. consulates in the northern city of Irbil and the southern city of Basra. This is in addition to some embassy staff moved out of Baghdad earlier this month,

We are not dealing with a "Western" society and any hopes of winning hearts and minds along with "Reconstruction" as seen at the end of WW II is a fantasy.  WW II ended with "civilized" nations arriving at a peaceful end to world conflict with mutual understandings.  We can not hope to achieve the same results dealing with "barbaric" cultures who are still stuck in near pre-historic times.  We can not achieve anything by trying to impose our will and power over these states.  Even aiding them is not achieving positive results.  Let God (or Darwin) sort them out.

The Darwin Awards have already been awarded to some failed classes of suicide bombers.  Let us award more.

From Sarajevo to Baghdad: The Lessons of War

My purpose here is not to throw stones, lay blame, or provide a justification, of any sort, for the horrendous violence and fanatical ideology of the jihadis, whose promised land is a sectarian, sexist dictatorship—a totalitarian negation of the Enlightenment. My point, on this anniversary, is simply to restate an elementary lesson of history that we’ve recently relearned to our cost. Wars are terrible things, and they have terrible, unpredictable consequences.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2014/07/from-sarajevo-to-baghdad-the-lessons-of-war.html

George Wallace said:
We are not dealing with a "Western" society and any hopes of winning hearts and minds along with "Reconstruction" as seen at the end of WW II is a fantasy.  WW II ended with "civilized" nations arriving at a peaceful end to world conflict with mutual understandings.  We can not hope to achieve the same results dealing with "barbaric" cultures who are still stuck in near pre-historic times.  We can not achieve anything by trying to impose our will and power over these states.  Even aiding them is not achieving positive results.  Let God (or Darwin) sort them out.

The Darwin Awards have already been awarded to some failed classes of suicide bombers.  Let us award more.

Agreed. Has anyone heard about s*** happening in Rwanda in the past 20 years? No? Hmmm....

George Wallace said:

Saw a patch the other day that said:

"Only God can judge our enemies: we'll arrange the meeting"

The difference between terrorism and insurgency
(STRATFOR security weekly)

By Scott Stewart

It is not uncommon for media reports to refer to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/ISIS) as a terrorist group. While the group certainly does have cadres with advanced terrorist tradecraft skills, they are much more than a terrorist group. In addition to conducting terrorist attacks in its area of operations, the group has displayed the ability to fight a protracted insurgency across an expansive geography and also has engaged in conventional military battles against the Syrian and Iraqi militaries.

It is because of this that the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant is much more accurately referred to as a militant group; that is a group which uses terrorism as one of its diverse military tools. We have taken some heat from readers who view our use of the term "militant group" to be some sort of politically correct euphemism for terrorism, but militant group is really a far more accurate description for groups like the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (or ISIL/ISIS as it is sometimes abbreviated), al Shabaab, and al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which all have the capacity to do far more than conduct terrorist attacks.

Terrorism and insurgency
First, it is important to recognise that terrorism is only one tool used by organisations that wage asymmetrical warfare against a superior foe. Terrorism is often used to conduct armed conflict against a militarily stronger enemy when the organisation launching the armed struggle is not yet at a stage where insurgent or conventional warfare is viable. That said however, also there are instances where state-sponsored terrorism can be used by one state against another in a Cold War-type struggle.

Marxist, Maoist and focoist militant groups often use terrorism as the first step in an armed struggle. In some ways, al Qaeda also followed a type of focoist (revolution through guerrilla warfare) vanguard strategy. It used terrorism to shape public opinion and to raise popular support for its cause, expecting to enhance its strength to a point where it could wage insurgent and then conventional warfare in order to establish an emirate, and eventually a global caliphate. Terrorism also can be used to supplement insurgency or conventional warfare. In such cases, it is employed to keep the enemy off balance and distracted, principally by conducting strikes against vulnerable targets at the enemy's rear. The Afghan Taliban employ terrorism in this manner, as does the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.

Once a group becomes more militarily capable, the group's leaders often will switch strategies, progressing from terrorist attacks to an insurgency. Insurgent warfare, often referred to as guerrilla warfare, has been practiced for centuries by a number of different cultures. Historical commanders who employed insurgent tactics have ranged from the Prophet Mohammed to Mao Zedong to Geronimo. Simply put, insurgent theory is based on the concept of declining battle when the enemy is superior, and attacking after amassing sufficient forces to strike where the enemy is weak. The insurgents also take a long view of armed struggle, seeking to live to fight another day rather than allow themselves to be fixed and destroyed by their superior enemy. They may lose some battles, but if they remain alive to continue the insurgency while also forcing their enemy to expend men and resources disproportionately, they consider it a victory. Time is on the side of the insurgents in this asymmetrical style of battle, and they hope a long war will exhaust and demoralise their enemy.

This style of warfare is seen very plainly in the history of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant. In 2004, when the group was called al Qaeda in Iraq, it attempted to progress from an insurgent force to a conventional military, seizing and holding territory, but it suffered terrible losses when facing the United States in clashes which included the first and second battles of Fallujah. In 2006, the group, known then as the Islamic State in Iraq, suffered significant losses in the battle of Ramadi, and the losses continued during the Anbar Awakening. However, the group persevered, abandoned its efforts to hold territory, and reverted back to a lower-level insurgency, and so continuing its pursuit of a long war. The group's persistence paid off. Now known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, the militants’ regained strength after the US withdrawal from Iraq, and through their involvement in the Syrian Civil War. Today, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant is arguably the most powerful jihadist militant group in the world. The group has even been able to progress militarily to the point where it can engage in conventional military battles simultaneously both against the Syrian and Iraqi armies. The group is clearly more than just a terrorist group; and its military capabilities are superior to those of many small countries.

Constraints
All that said, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant also is constrained as to how it employs its military power. Its first constraint is the projection of that power because force projection is a challenge for even large national militaries. It requires advanced logistical capabilities to move men, equipment, munitions, petroleum, and other supplies across expanses of land, and it becomes even more difficult when substantial bodies of water must be crossed. The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant is aided by the fact that it can operate along internal supply lines which cross the Iraq-Syria border, so allowing them to move men and material to different areas of the battlefield as needed. Mostly this movement is achieved by means of trucks, buses, and smaller, mobile technicals (pickup trucks) and motorcycles.

For the most part, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant is practicing a mobile `hit-and-run’ style of warfare aided by sympathetic Sunni forces, but in some places, such as Mosul, Ramadi and Baiji, they are conducting more conventional warfare along fixed battle lines. The militants have not shown the capability to project their conventional or even insurgent forces very far into the Kurdish and Shi’ite-controlled areas of Iraq, where they lack significant local support. In the past, they have been able to conduct terrorist operations in Kurdish and Shi’ite areas, including Arbil, Baghdad and Basra, but in recent years the group has not conducted terrorist attacks outside of its operational theatre.

Back in 2005, the group carried out bombing and rocket attacks in Jordan, including the 9th November 2005 suicide bombings against three hotels in Amman, but it has not conducted an attack in Jordan for many years now. Local supporters often facilitate the group's terrorist operations in Iraq, Syria and Jordan, even when foreign operatives conduct a suicide bombing or armed assault.

Historically, it has been fairly unusual for a militant group to develop the capability to project power transnationally, but developing such a capability without state sponsorship is even more unusual; and the transnational groups such as Hezbollah, Black September and the Abu Nidal Organisation all received significant state sponsorship. It is far more common for militant groups to confine their military operations within a discreet theatre of operations consisting of their country of origin and often the border areas of adjacent countries. In many cases, the militant group involved is a separatist organisation fighting for independence or autonomy, and its concerns pertain to a localised area.

In other cases, militant organisations have more global ambitions, such as the jihadist or Marxist visions of global conquest. These groups often will try to accomplish their global goals via a progression that begins with establishing a local political entity and then expanding. This initial local focus requires a group to commit its military resources toward local targets rather than transnational targets. This is likely why, for example, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant has not yet attempted to conduct transnational terrorist operations directed against the United States and the West. The group has more pressing local and regional targets to hit.

The militant groups face another constraint on the projection of military power in the form of transnational terrorism: The tradecraft required to plan and orchestrate a terrorist attack undetected in a hostile environment is quite different from the skill set needed to operate as a guerrilla fighter in an insurgency. In addition, the logistical networks needed to support terrorist operatives in such environments are quite different from those required to support insurgent operations. These constraints have shaped our assessment that the threat posed by foreign fighters returning to the West from Syria, is real but limited.

Amongst the things which made the al Qaeda core organisation so unique was its focus on the "far enemy" (the United States) first rather than the "near enemy" (local regimes). Al Qaeda also developed the capability to train people in advanced terrorist tradecraft in camps like Deronta and to create the logistical network required to support terrorist operatives operating in hostile territory. Following the 9/11 attacks, al Qaeda lost its training camps and logistical networks. This has made it much more difficult for the group to conduct transnational attacks, and explains why the long-awaited follow up attacks to the 9/11 operation did not materialise. Indeed, in 2010 the al Qaeda core group jumped on the bandwagon of encouraging individual jihadists living in the West to conduct simple attacks where they live rather than travel to other countries to fight.

Among the al Qaeda franchise groups, such as al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and al Shabaab, tensions have erupted between members of the organisation who favour the al Qaeda-like focus on the far enemy, and those who want to focus their military efforts on the near enemy. For the most part, the regional franchises also are under heavy pressure from the local authorities, and are struggling to survive and to continue their struggles. In such an environment, they have very little extra capacity to devote to transnational attacks.

Even a local franchise group like al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which has adopted more of a transnational ideology, can be constrained by such factors. Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has not been able to launch an attack directed against the US homeland since the November 2010 printer bomb attempt and moreover, it is important to recognise that al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula launched the attacks targeting the United States from its base of operations in Yemen, rather than sending operatives to the United States to plan and execute attacks in a hostile environment. The group did not have operatives with the requisite tradecraft for such operations, and also it lacked the logistics network to support them. Therefore, the al Qaeda franchise was limited to executing only the transnational attacks which it could plan and launch from Yemen.

So far, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant has not demonstrated a focus on conducting transnational attacks against the far enemy. It also has not shown that it has operatives capable of travelling to foreign countries to plan and conduct sophisticated terrorist operations there. However, the group retains a robust terrorist capability within its area of operation, and consistently has been able to acquire weapons and explosives, to fabricate viable explosive devices, and to recruit and indoctrinate suicide operatives.

The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant is far more than a terrorist organisation. It can launch complex insurgent campaigns, and even conduct conventional military operations, it is able to govern areas of territory, administer social services and collect taxes. Thus simply labelling the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant solely as a terrorist organisation underestimates the group's capabilities, and this can give it the element of surprise when it launches a major military operation just like the one resulting in the capture of a significant portion of Iraq's Sunni-dominated areas. It is a potent foe.

Back