• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Irish combat troops prohibited from playing soccer as it's "too dangerous"

40below

Inactive
Reaction score
Imagine what they'd think if they ever saw a CF ball hockey game.

CHAD may rank among the most hostile missions Irish troops have ever embarked on, but it is no place for soccer or volleyball.

Despite the soldiers’ extreme training at Camp Ciara in order to prepare for combat situations, the defence forces have decided contact sports are a step too far.

Defence Minister Willie O’Dea said the decision was made for health and safety reasons. "The reality in Chad is that the ground is extremely hard. Some of the sports are played out on open ground and when people fall, it tends to have a much greater impact on their bodies than falling in a field in Ireland, where the ground is not nearly as hard," he told the Dáil.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/soldiers-primed-for-chad-combat-but-contact-sports-get-marching-orders-91194.html

And just because, for some reason, I have this in my Bucket:

633719418346043060-chickens.jpg

Wow you know what else is hard? The steel toe of a soldiers boot going up the defence ministers *** once they get pissed off enough that they have nothing else too do.

Maybe make them wear some hockey equipment...

Old War Story:

While at RCSofI in '66 we were not allowed to play Football (Canadian Style)...Too Dangerous!!....BUT were allowed to play Soccer. I still have ridges on my shins from colliding with Boots,High,Black,Composition Sole!!

Cheers,

tango22a

Maybe the Green Irish among us may not appreciate this being in the British Military forum.

Soldiers primed for Chad combat... but contact sports get marching orders
By Conor Ryan Political Correspondent
Thursday, May 07, 2009
CHAD may rank among the most hostile missions Irish troops have ever embarked on, but it is no place for soccer or volleyball.
Despite the soldiers’ extreme training at Camp Ciara in order to prepare for combat situations, the defence forces have decided contact sports are a step too far.

Defence Minister Willie O’Dea said the decision was made for health and safety reasons. "The reality in Chad is that the ground is extremely hard. Some of the sports are played out on open ground and when people fall, it tends to have a much greater impact on their bodies than falling in a field in Ireland, where the ground is not nearly as hard," he told the Dáil.

Labour’s Brian O’Shea said the troops had lost a good way to let off steam.

But he was told an assessment found the risk of a soldier being sent home with a sports injury was too great.

The minister said he could not dictate which sports were allowed while safely ensconced in Dublin.

Fine Gael’s spokesman, Jimmy Deenihan, had reservations on the choice of games. "Volleyball is not a physical contact sport."

Mr O’Dea said while soccer, volleyball and other physical sports on the solid Chad sod were dangerous, there was wriggle room once contact was avoided.

"While rugby probably is not allowed, as it is a very physical game, football kickabouts are allowed," he said, adding: "Personnel can engage in running."

* Irish troops in Chad flanked dozens of evacuated aid workers after reports of rebel movements.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/soldiers-primed-for-chad-combat-but-contact-sports-get-marching-orders-91194.html

Wow I thought our safety programmes were over the top!  Guess we can't make fun of the US military anymore for their "extreme" force protection measures (we will but the Irish will definitely be mentioned).  Someone from the Irish Defence Minister's office should come out for broom-i-loom with the PPCLI.

Back