• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a Canadian citizens Militia?

danno84

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if there is a organized militia group in Canada that is not in service to the Canadian army?  I am thikng of a group similar to the citizens militia in the states.  Thanks!

No. Any form of military or paramilitary organizations here in Canada are linked directly to the Canadian Forces. Citizens can join the Primary Reserves if they do not wish to join the Regular Force. Any form of paramilitary organization that is not part of the CF is strongly discouraged, and is infact violating the law. Bearing arms is not a right here in Canada. Using a fire arm for other then its allowed purpose by law is a Criminal Code offence. Hope that answers your question.

If you try "militia" search in the home page you will get 51 pages of links...

Bearing arms is not a right here in Canada. Using a fire arm for other then its allowed purpose by law is a Criminal Code offence. Hope that answers your question.

And rightly so. There's to many damn guns everywere these days.

Now if we can just get the illegal weapons out of the criminals hands, we'd all be a happy bunch.

danno84 said:
Hi I was wondering if there is a organized militia group in Canada that is not in service to the Canadian army?  I am thikng of a group similar to the citizens militia in the states.  Thanks!

There was/is a mob in Alberta, which did not go down so well. An organised (word used lightly) group of grown men running around in camouflage, webbing, fighting knives with rifles in Canada definatly draws attention, and a ERT visit. Doing such could be thought to be an act of subversion, and in this day in age with Terrs etc, you might end up in serious trouble.

Want to join a Militia, join the Reserves.

My two cents.

As has been seen in many other countries, there are those who declare themselves as a protective force, and give themselves the label of 'militia', but few of them are linked to or supported by the government of the land they form themselves in.

danno84 said:

Like those clowns down at Ruby Ridge?  If there are, they are very few and deep underground.

The only militias I know about are the re-enactors...

MedTech said:
Any form of paramilitary organization that is not part of the CF is strongly discouraged, and is infact violating the law. Bearing arms is not a right here in Canada.

Section 70 of the Criminal Code (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II-gb:s_70//en?noCookie) reads:

Unlawful Drilling
Orders by Governor in Council

70. (1) The Governor in Council may, by proclamation, make orders

(a) to prohibit assemblies, without lawful authority, of persons for the purpose

(i) of training or drilling themselves,
(ii) of being trained or drilled to the use of arms, or
(iii) of practising military exercises; or

(b) to prohibit persons when assembled for any purpose from training or drilling themselves or from being trained or drilled.

General or special order

(2) An order that is made under subsection (1) may be general or may be made applicable to particular places, districts or assemblies to be specified in the order.

Punishment

(3) Every one who contravenes an order made under this section is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Haggis said:
70. (1) The Governor in Council may, by proclamation, make orders

(a) to prohibit assemblies, without lawful authority, of persons for the purpose

(i) of training or drilling themselves,

Sorry, I get a mental picture of someone with a Black and Decker in their hands, performing trepanation on himself.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Sorry, I get a mental picture of someone with a Black and Decker in their hands, performing trepanation on himself.  ;D

Not me. I'm going to start one up all by my lonesome. I too, am having visuals of the uniform of said militia, and of our mode of transport; it may get chilly in winter. 2 wheeled friggin' warriors ... Harley owners only need apply. Perfection.

ArmyVern said:
I too, am having visuals of the uniform of said militia, and of our mode of transport; it may get chilly in winter.

Hmmmm.....a**less chaps?  ;)
My visual was not of the uniform, but of someone "drilling" themsleves.  It just sounds funny.... ::)

danno84 said:

Why do you want to know?

Just general interest or would you seriously want to join such an a**-clown group?

PMedMoe said:
Hmmmm.....a**less chaps?  ;)
My visual was not of the uniform, but of someone "drilling" themsleves.  It just sounds funny.... ::)

What is the obsesion with chaps some people here have?!

Besides arn't all chaps a**less, if they were not wouldn't they be pants?

Teflon said:
What is the obsesion with chaps some people here have?!

Besides arn't all chaps a**less, if they were not wouldn't they be pants?

Yes, you have discovered the secret!! All chaps are indeed assless; ergo the obsession and the awesomeness of such-said uniform.

ArmyVern said:
All chaps are indeed assless; ergo the obsession and the awesomeness of such-said uniform.

That might depend on who's wearing them.  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Yes, you have discovered the secret!! All chaps are indeed assless; ergo the obsession and the awesomeness of such-said uniform.

THREAD HIJACK ALERT!

Haggis said:
THREAD HIJACK ALERT!

Oh puhhhhhhhleeezzze

Was there ever any doubt it was going to be?? It's radio chatter -- it's about a Canadian non-military militia --

If it wasn't me who did it -- Journeyman would have come along and looked after it.  >:D

ArmyVern said:
Oh puhhhhhhhleeezzze

Was there ever any doubt it was going to be?? It's radio chatter -- it's about a Canadian non-military militia --

If it wasn't me who did it -- Journeyman would have come along and looked after it.  >:D

Yeah, true.  I'm just miffed that somebody beat me to it.  :(

I just love steering these types into JTF2/ninja/sniper/babySEAL/wannabe areas.

Back