• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Sleep System-Use and Temp Range

nawk

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering how cold it needs to be before you find it necessary to bring along the 2nd sleeping bag for winter exercises.  Would I need to bring it for a weekend exercise in Meaford for example in February or can most people tough it out?

That depends on alot of things.Some people get colder faster than others in a sleeping bag(ie they sweat more),is it a matter of too much kit to hump???Most units require a basic winter kit list.Are you sleeping in quarters/tent/trench.Your best bet is bring all parts in case cause for the extra few pounds its better to have the option of adding more kit.

I'd say the biggest factor is what you're going to be doing.

When I did my final BIQ field ex in Meaford and in February, I only took my inner - but, IIRC I never got the chance to use it anyways. On that ex, most guys just just racked on their thermal rests with maybe a ranger blanket. No one bothered to strip down and hop in the sack. On the other hand, I spent the past week living in a heated mod tent on a cot (Able Bear). It wasn't nearly as cold as Meaford, but I brought both sleeping bags. Even though I wasn't actually in my outer, I had it in my bivi mag and used it as another layer to sleep on top of.

My best advise: ask the other guys in your platoon. Different units and different trades have different requirements.

I always take only one piece of my sleeping bag, I never use the second one. My sleep system is as follows.

Cobat MuMu (The New Thermal Blanket that replaced the Sleeping bag Liner and The Ranger Blanket)
Sleeping bag outter
Bivey Bag

I am always warm no matter what, I used this past week and will next week on the mattawa. And I was comfortable.

I always take only one piece of my sleeping bag, I never use the second one. My sleep system is as follows.

Cobat MuMu (The New Thermal Blanket that replaced the Sleeping bag Liner and The Ranger Blanket)
Sleeping bag outter
Bivey Bag

I am always warm no matter what, I used this past week and will next week on the mattawa. And I was comfortable.

I'd just like to emphasise the fact that Meaford in February is quite a bit less comfortable then the heated mod tents we have on the Mattawa.

You had heat? well we had a heater, that was filled with gas instead of diesel. So we didnt have heat for too long at all.

I was wondering: are both the inner and outer sleeping bag used at all times? or sometimes during the summer months is just one or the other used..

Thanks.

2332Piper said:
you would be well advised to pick up a good quality ultra lightweight fleece bag to use during the summer and as a liner to replace the crummy issued one.
The new poncho liner (AKA: Ranger Blanket) replaces both the old woodland pattern poncho liner and the sleeping bag liner.  No more ties to fasten to the inside of the sleeping bag. 

Proper military sleeping will be done at command. You will deploy the issued sleeping pad (be it the modern - allegedly self-inflating - pad, or the wonderful Goodyear rubber air matress) and all parts of the sleeping bag - the inner, outer, flannel liner and hood. You will sleep on your back.

Any deviating from the above regulations will be subject to section 999 subpara q of the NDA, which allows a maximum punishment of life in a ten-man tent, or lesser punishment.

;D

Acorn

2332Piper said:
But on exercises etc (if your unit allows) you would be well advised to pick up a good quality ultra lightweight fleece bag to use during the summer and as a liner to replace the crummy issued one.
I'm confused. Sleeping on Exercise? Explain, please.

;)

paracowboy said:

;)

lol

I just used the CADPAT ranger blanket and my bivvy bag this month, was warm and toasty for the hour or so of sleep I got each night. I leave the sleeping bag inner and outer in the shacks. I've put the shitty cotton liner in the bottom of a kitbag since I was issued it in January.

paracowboy said:

;)

Lol, i agree. I've always been told I can sleep when I'm dead. Oh how i've wished to be dead at times...  :D

I'm not sure if I've got this right....

The 'new' Ranger blanket is very similar, if not identical, to the US one that troops used to buy at a US PX (like me). Or is there a new 'new' Ranger Blanket?

Second, the fleece/cotton liner for the sleping bag is discontinued and replaced by the ranger blanket?

The new poncho liner/ranger blanket is pretty much the same as the US woodland one, except its CADPAT and has a zipper going around it so you can zip it  up like a sleeping bag. Saw it in ASU Chilliwack, looked pretty good.

There is also a zippered flap in the centre that opens into a hole to fit your head through.  (Imagine that, a poncho liner that can actually be worn like a ponch & in so doing it could act as a liner to a poncho!)

The Ranger Blanket is on the New Kit list for all new recruits (i would have one but base supply ran out and still is)

I, like so many other people, purchased an old sleeping bag from an army surplus store. I have had it about 10 years.

My simple question, What is the tempurature rating of each piece? I have the liner, and the outer bag. I think the entire setup has a rating of -45C.

Thanks

Navy Stoker,

Perhaps when it was new...

Assemble the bag, lay it on the floor and wait for it to loft. When it has lofted, measuer the hieght of the bag in inches and let me know what the measuerment is and I can give you a survival rating based on the loft.

Kind Regards
Brian Kroon
Drop Zone Tactical

Back