• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Sleep System-Use and Temp Range

Stoker... when the CF sleeping bag is combined Inner + outer + liner + Hood... you mighta gotten to -45C when it was new.

IIRC, there was a "silk" outer shell to the darned thing when issued in the late 60s / early 70s

geo said:
... you mighta gotten to -45C when it was new.
  If lucky and you were properly clothed/unclothed/dry in the thing.

IIRC, there was a "silk" outer shell to the darned thing when issued in the late 60s / early 70s

There "may" have been an additional thin shell available at one time, perhaps on a trial basis.  However, it was probably not generally issued at least not by the mid 70's.  But I do recall seeing such an item and "using" it during some trials done in the 70s by eggheads from one of the research establishments.  A few of us were used a guinea pigs for cold weather trials of equipment in Calgary, specifically at the UofC.  We had to spend time in what was basically a really big fridge hooked up to temperature monitors that measured skin and core temps while wearing different types of clothing or using different variations/combinations of the sleeping bag.

So.... Still no answer.

1 outer bag, 1 liner, about 4 inches. Roughly how good would i be able to go down to, wearing hooded sweatshirt/sweat pants? would -20C be too cold?

Thanks

You will be better off without sweatshirt/sweatpants as layers of clothing make you sweat and you will just wake up cold.

ok, buck naked.... how cold could the average person be comfortable with the bag I have?

navy stoker said:
ok, buck naked.... how cold could the average person be comfortable with the bag I have?
-25C to -30C...but you won't be super comfortable...you'll know you ARE camping in the winter...

I wouldn't rate it much past -10 C. 

Don't forget that there is also an insulation factor for the air space between the inner and outer bags, not just the bags.  Next question would be whether or not you are using them alone or with a bivie bag or in any sort of tentage/shelter.  What type of mattress are you using?  Everything will add up in calculating the insulation offered.

If I am camping in -30 weather.... I wont need to be reminded, I will know. I just dont want hypthermia!!

navy stoker said:
If I am camping in -30 weather.... I wont need to be reminded, I will know. I just dont want hypthermia!!

Like I said, I'd only rate an outer with liner up to -10 C.  If I had both the inner and outer, the liner, a bivie bag, the hood, and the old black Betty, and naked, I would be warm as toast at -45C and perhaps a little more.  With only one, inner or outer, I have been cold at +5C.

George Wallace said:
Like I said, I'd only rate an outer with liner up to -10 C.  If I had both the inner and outer, the liner, a bivie bag, the hood, and the old black Betty, and naked, I would be warm as toast at -45C and perhaps a little more.  With only one, inner or outer, I have been cold at +5C.

I have used it at about -5, possibly colder, and wearing hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants, I was toasty.

I am just trying to figure out how low I can go. Maybe I will see about spending a night in a deep freezer.

I was using the assumption that you were using inner and outer and liner...I wouldn't say you would be comfortable at -45C, they really aren't that great...  I would say you would be comfortable until -30C.  As well, as George states, using an air mattress is a must.  Without it, you could use a sleeping back thats rated to -100C (figuratively) but would be still be cold due to the frozen ground in direct contact with you.  When planning your sleep, think air spaces as much as you can.  The more the better (warmer).

Making sure it is cleaned properly can also help increase the loft and thus the temp rating.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/gear/expert/042501.htm

As mentioned, a good mattress is a must.  You can get a pretty good air matress with down incorporated into it from various camp stores and it packs quite small too.

Quag said:
I was using the assumption that you were using inner and outer and liner...I wouldn't say you would be comfortable at -45C, they really aren't that great...  I would say you would be comfortable until -30C.  As well, as George states, using an air mattress is a must.  Without it, you could use a sleeping back thats rated to -100C (figuratively) but would be still be cold due to the frozen ground in direct contact with you.  When planning your sleep, think air spaces as much as you can.  The more the better (warmer).

If you can dig a decent snow hole, you only need a bag rated to -15 or so. Snow holds lots of air! Not always possible though.

Navy Stoker,

Based on your loft measurement you have a survival rating of 20 degrees f/ -7 degrees c.

Kind Regards
Brian Kroon
Drop Zone Tactical

So Brian, since you probably have more knowledge, how would be the best way to clean one of these old bags?
At MEC they say to wash with a very mild soap and the tumble dry in a big dryer; other places - and I think the tag on these bags say to dry clean only.

cheers,
Frank

I slept in the sleeping bag complete (issued liner, inner, outer, and hood) on the green S.I. air mattress, inside a bivy bag, in the snow under a tree on winter ex at -30 or more (not sure what the coldest part of the night was).  The gear was all dry, and I was wearing only a gitch (clothing was hung outside on the tree branch, mukluks were not in the bivy bag, etc, to avoid as much moisture inside the bivy/sleeping bag as possible).  The kit was in relatively decent condition as well.

I was incredibly warm throughout the night.  We were along the edge of a copps of woods, with a bit of a breeze and not much overhead cover.  The only time I was cold was getting dresse/undressed and the first minute or so in the bag until it warmed up from my body heat.  That bivy bag is one of my favorite pieces of kit ever. 

PanaEng,

The problem with dry cleaning solvents is that they tend to leach out the natural oils in down plumule and the silicon off siliconized synthetics.

Having said that, I recommend Woolite/Zero, a modern front loading  machine on gentle cycle with luke warm water and tumble dry on warm NOT hot.

Kind Regards
Brian

DropZone said:
PanaEng,

The problem with dry cleaning solvents is that they tend to leach out the natural oils in down plumule and the silicon off siliconized synthetics.

Having said that, I recommend Woolite/Zero, a modern front loading  machine on gentle cycle with luke warm water and tumble dry on warm NOT hot.Kind Regards
Brian

I remember one of our guys deciding to do his own back in the '70s. Good German dryer in the shacks, high heat. Ended up with a football sized package, with a zipper that went around it about four times ;D

Back