• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jagmeet Singh, probably the biggest political loser?

There are so many polls showing the CPC riding high yet there are a few polls that are looking at individual leader likability and Pierre doesn't do as well. So people don't like the leader but they like his ideas and proposals in other words NOT a cult of personality.
Or they are sick of the current government and ready for change.

PPs ideas have no depth and are for now mere slogans and surface level plans with few details.

But it is definitely not personality.

The CPC have a pretty in depth policy statement on their website.

That the CPC have not exactly launched a full campaign plan at this point is just smart politics. The Liberals have not called an election and there is no point in having your “best” ideas either stolen or disected by your opponent a year in advance is just smart politics.

That the CPC have not exactly launched a full campaign plan at this point is just smart politics. The Liberals have not called an election and there is no point in having your “best” ideas either stolen or disected by your opponent a year in advance is just smart politics.
Precisely. Campaign Plan A vs Campaign Plan B, depending on the US election outcome in Nov.

I thought Poilievre was going to call a vote of non-confidence on Tues (or was it last Tues)?

If so, the campaign will be half over by the time the US Election happens.

He doesn’t think the government will actually fall under a confidence vote, but it forces the Bloq and NDP to weave a complex web of contradictions that will serve him later down the road, once the campaign actually kicks off.

He doesn’t think the government will actually fall under a confidence vote, but it forces the Bloq and NDP to weave a complex web of contradictions that will serve him later down the road, once the campaign actually kicks off.
from the news stories, he has worded the non-confidence beautifully to achieve just that. By voting with the liberals against the motion both the bloc and the NDP have eliminated their ability to argue against any of the liberal party's positions and their ethics and their scandals and marked those positions as CP territory. I can't figure out why, after the Bloc had already committed to supporting Justin, Singh didn't either shutup and vote present or actually side with the conservatives since their motion basically repeats his explanation as to why he was tearing up the agreement

Yup… Like I called it after the election, the LPC won the election with the most stable conceivable minority; one where any of three other parties’ support is sufficient to prop up the government. They may not run the full four years. I could see the spring budget maybe being a chance for NDP and BQ to both show their willingness to oppose the government with minimal real remaining time in which to achieve policy objectives, and so less opportunity cost. But none of the strategic math on the confidence of the house has changed a whit. LPC have slow rolled the policy reforms sought by the NDP so as to basically hold them to supporting the minority most if not all of the way.

Yup… Like I called it after the election, the LPC won the election with the most stable conceivable minority; one where any of three other parties’ support is sufficient to prop up the government. They may not run the full four years. I could see the spring budget maybe being a chance for NDP and BQ to both show their willingness to oppose the government with minimal real remaining time in which to achieve policy objectives, and so less opportunity cost. But none of the strategic math on the confidence of the house has changed a whit. LPC have slow rolled the policy reforms sought by the NDP so as to basically hold them to supporting the minority most if not all of the way.

Short gain me thinks. I suspect the next election, when ever that is, will go disastrously for the LPC; and quite possible the NDP.

Short gain me thinks. I suspect the next election, when ever that is, will go disastrously for the LPC; and quite possible the NDP.
Yeah but that’s pretty much baked in at this point absent something really wild happening. NDP will remain focused on achieving what they can policy wise while they’re still able to. Why would they do anything different?

Because you say so? Right. Polls seem to indicate otherwise.
That’s generally not what the polls inquire about though. The polls occasionally quoted in this thread speak to voting intentions; not depth, detail, or quality of policy proposals.

No campaign has had to really go into much depth yet, though of course the LPC, as the government of the day who will have to run on their record of actual governance, had had to show more of their cards so they can start things in parliament or amend regulations.

The CPC have not yet needed to divulge any really detailed plans, and with no election yet called or immediately on the horizon, that’s reasonable. But don’t mistake popular support in the polls for the existence of an articulated platform. Polls don’t show that unless it’s expressly what they ask.

Bear in mind, please, that the parties all poll and they do NOT make the results public. Those party polls do ask some tough questions, albeit usually carefully worded so as NOT to "lead" to any particular response, especially about issues that mater a lot to the leader and platform team.

They really do want too know what we want, what we really, really want, but they don't want to share that information with the media or us until it is election (or budget) time.

The CPC have a pretty in depth policy statement on their website.

That the CPC have not exactly launched a full campaign plan at this point is just smart politics.
I don't think the lack of an advertised big intricate plan is the smoking gun some people think it is.

Lots of Canadians voted for Trudeau because of his plan to ditch FPTP. Trudeau immediately dumped that plan when it became convenient. Trusting any political promise or plan seems a bit silly to me.

Last edited:
I don't think the lack of an advertised big intricate plan is the smoking gun some people think it is.

Lots of Canadians voted for Trudeau because of his plan to ditch FPTP. Trudeau immediately dumped that plan when it became convenient.
and he smiled a lot, promised Canadians that they would return to the world peacekeeping stage, he wore nice socks and his name wasn't Steven Harper. None of these are complicated issues in fact, all he was really promising was a different attitude than Harper. And he has done that. The problem is, we don't like it any better than many liked Harper. What PP is promising has the same root as Justin's words from long ago: change and he has added just enough colour to convince people that his goals are worth pursuing. And just like with Justin, we, the people, will vote in 5 year's or so in favour of PP because we like where he has gone, PP because there isn't a viable alternative, or liberal because we like what the picture the new management has painted more than we like where PP is going.

Going back to Singh. I think he gained a little momentum with his "tore up the agreement" statement with Trudeau, and I believe it helped him secure the Winnipeg seat he held onto (a very close brush with the CPC).
I personally feel, he could have possibly held all his seats and maybe gain a few more IF he had stood with the CPC and voted no confidence. However, with his base absolutely fed up with living conditions and his SACA with Trudeau, he may loose loyalty now by voting confidence in Trudeau's government

Going back to Singh. I think he gained a little momentum with his "tore up the agreement" statement with Trudeau, and I believe it helped him secure the Winnipeg seat he held onto (a very close brush with the CPC).
I personally feel, he could have possibly held all his seats and maybe gain a few more IF he had stood with the CPC and voted no confidence. However, with his base absolutely fed up with living conditions and his SACA with Trudeau, he may loose loyalty now by voting confidence in Trudeau's government
Depends what he can show for it eight or ten months hence. Another four million Canadians become eligible for dental care later in 2025, and the regulatory process for pharmacare will have some time to develop further.

A few months isn’t really time to gain anything. Eight months to a year is. It also gives them time to strategize against the CPC and see what approaches resound with voters.

Depends what he can show for it eight or ten months hence. Another four million Canadians become eligible for dental care later in 2025, and the regulatory process for pharmacare will have some time to develop further.

A few months isn’t really time to gain anything. Eight months to a year is. It also gives them time to strategize against the CPC and see what approaches resound with voters.
Or they will discover, as we have, that the better dentists aren't part of the programme and you have to line up for those that are.

Back