• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jaw popping/clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

Inactive
Reaction score
When I had my medical done a few weeks ago, the doctor asked me to open and close my mouth and tell him if there was any clicking. I did that, and there was nothing. He subsequently made a note that there was no jaw problems.  However, it is a problem (the clicking) I have had in the past and it seems to be affecting me again now. There is no pain when this happens, but I am curious as to what sort of jaw problems the medical officer is looking for when asking about this. Any ideas?

We are not doctors here. The only one that can answer your question is the doctor that asked you.

Cheers.

The little bones that make up the "hinge" for your mandible (the part that moves) are pretty delicate. For instance...

Back in high school I once went running with a mouthful of gum. As I was chewing and jogging along, I felt something click on one side of my face. I finished the run, but when I tried to open my mouth I found it wouldn't open any wider than about half an inch. I was squishing bread into little bits and sticking them through that half-inch gap for the next few days until I got in to see the chiropractor.

He told me that the little ball-like end of the mandible (I think it's called the condyle) had slid out of place. It's only a tiny shift, but it's a tiny bone; and your jaw muscles are really strong, so they quickly sieze up around the joint. And then it's stuck that way.

I guess the recruiters just want to make sure you're gonna be able to eat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back