• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jetstream - The Series

I'm pretty sure when Mike was recoursed, he finished top of his course. So I guess it was a good decision to recourse him then give him the boot.

Capt. Lewis is an excellent pilot on the show... I'm sure he'll show up a few times in future episodes (at least at graduation or to sweep more popcorn :p ). Shamus I'm not too sure of, but his hot-shot antics adds a lot to the show. Gotta love the "dude, wait... what?" look he always gives whenever the instructors pin him for a screw-up.

I like how episode 3 showed a lot of the ground crew. I hope this theme continues, because it's awesome to see all sides of working with the CF-18.

Very interesting show, really shows how difficult physically, academically, and how mentally determined and tough you have to be. And how important it is to have confidence in yourself. Shamus seems to be making mistakes, but he also seems to know what he is doing wrong. So hopefully he can correct his problem. It was very disappointing watching Capt Lewis blackout on his final centrifuge test. The last time I was so disappointed watching tv was  in 94 when the Canucks lost game seven. I'm not sure of the pilots name, but coming in to the training late, and doing as well as he is doing is very impressive.

IGA said:
I'm not sure of the pilots name, but coming in to the training late, and doing as well as he is doing is very impressive.

You're talking about Lt. Mcleod right? The one who started the course a month after everyone else did but still managed to catch up? You can look more info on the CF188 pilot candidates/"chumps" (well not so much "chumps" anymore, actually  ;D) on the ff. link:

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/jetstream/#/student/8/

SupersonicMax said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't wear this  one can they?  I always thought the F/A-18 XXXX hours patches were giveng by Boeing.

Max

I'm sure once you get there you can tell buddy to take it off.

SupersonicMax said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't wear this  one can they?  I always thought the F/A-18 XXXX hours patches were giveng by Boeing.

Max

Why not? The Sqn CO has incredible powers of badge approval for wear. We come up with new Detachment badges for every deployment, so why wouldn't a guy be allowed to wear a 2000 hr badge if it's approved by the CO? I couldn't tell you if it is approved or not, but that's between that guy and the CO of his Sqn. I have worn at least half a dozen different ones since I've been in Shearwater.

CDN Aviator said:
::)

Another Microsoft pilot has spoken

I really take offense to this, because I don't play flight simulators.

I was looking to come from the viewpoint of a taxpayer.  You have to understand that the way I see it, is that at some point, somebody has the tough job of saying, yeah time to cut our losses.

What I am trying to get out of this, and the way the show brings it across to me, is that there are different standards for different people.
As in the instructors are like, ""ah shucks, he is a nice guy, he has wanted to be a pilot all his life.  Let's give him another shot."
At some point the CF has to be accountable, to me the taxpayer, that they are going to cut their losses.

Maybe it comes from the fact that I worked with a company that spent tens of thousands training new employees, and if at a certain point they felt someone was behind in training, or was inadequate in anyway, then they would send them packing.  Sure they might work out in the future. As is the case with Capt. Lewis, but how many times are they going to send him back to the centrifuge, 10, 20...100 times?  When is enough, enough?

There has to be a standard for everybody, no matter their sex, gender, age, race, etc....
when there comes that time to part ways.
It is a simple question that every taxpayer deserves to have answered.

Again, I reiterate, this is the way the show brings it across to me. So I am looking for a sensible answer.

Steel Horse said:

I was looking to come from the viewpoint of a taxpayer.  You have to understand that the way I see it, is that at some point, somebody has the tough job of saying, yeah time to cut our losses.

What I am trying to get out of this, and the way the show brings it across to me, is that there are different standards for different people.
As in the instructors are like, ""ah shucks, he is a nice guy, he has wanted to be a pilot all his life.  Let's give him another shot."
At some point the CF has to be accountable, to me the taxpayer, that they are going to cut their losses.

Maybe it comes from the fact that I worked with a company that spent tens of thousands training new employees, and if at a certain point they felt someone was behind in training, or was inadequate in anyway, then they would send them packing.  Sure they might work out in the future. As is the case with Capt. Lewis, but how many times are they going to send him back to the centrifuge, 10, 20...100 times?  When is enough, enough?

There has to be a standard for everybody, no matter their sex, gender, age, race, etc....

Again, I reiterate, this is the way the show brings it across to me. So I am looking for a sensible answer.
Steel Horse, when I did my G course, we were told at the beginning that it IS NOT an elimination course.  This is an exposure only.  You just have to pass it eventually.

Max

Steel Horse said:
I am paraphrasing, but they did say something on the show to the affect of she almost killed 3 people.  Any job where I have worked before, if I almost killed 3 people, I probably would have my *** canned so fast that it would be unreal.

Don't forget that this is training.  Mistakes are boud to happen, especially when you have around 350 hours total time and 40-50 hours on the Hornet.  This isn't training for a desk job where you type in stuff.  It's hard, there are huge risks involved and it's just part of the training.  There would be no instructor in the back there would be no risk.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Steel Horse, when I did my G course, we were told at the beginning that it IS NOT an elimination course.  This is an exposure only.  You just have to pass it eventually.

Max

Okay, from the way the show puts it, it is an elimination course.

Steel Horse said:
Okay, from the way the show puts it, it is an elimination course.

I find the show puts a lot of thing not like they really are.

Max

Steel Horse said:

I guess you couldnt figure out what i meant.

Millions of dollars already went into training this guy. Is another 1500 bucks realy going to kill the taxpayer ? Or is that small amount going to save a few millions ? Or did you just miss the part where he was taken off the course after the 3rd attempt ?

Again, you must have been sleeping when they cut him from the course after the 3rd try.

The CF, in this case is not dealing with "tens of thousands" bit with millions of dollars. You are comparing apples to oranges. This guy was already a qualified pilot and spent time as a flight instructor. he more than gave back to the taxpayer for their investment in him.

There is a standard and it was applied. You saw it for yourself. Stop trying to see a problem where there isnt one.

SupersonicMax said:
I find the show puts a lot of thing not like they really are.

Max

Yeah thanks for setting me straight.

CDN Aviator said:
I guess you couldnt figure out what i meant.

Yeah, I understand now.  I still take offense to the comment.  I was looking for someone to set me straight on the issue.

CDN Aviator said:
Millions of dollars already went into training this guy. Is another 1500 bucks realy going to kill the taxpayer ? Or is that small amount going to save a few millions ? Or did you just miss the part where he was taken off the course after the 3rd attempt ?

Again, you must have been sleeping when they cut him from the course after the 3rd try.

Yes, millions of dollars have been spent, but what I am saying is they let him stay around at the squadron until he can attempt the centrifuge again.  Why not put him on multi-engine?

CDN Aviator said:
The CF, in this case is not dealing with "tens of thousands" bit with millions of dollars. You are comparing apples to oranges. This guy was already a qualified pilot and spent time as a flight instructor. he more than gave back to the taxpayer for their investment in him.

There is a standard and it was applied. You saw it for yourself. Stop trying to see a problem where there isnt one.

Okay, so the standard is to give a guy 3 chances, then let him keep trying until he passes?

I am not saying throw him out of the military. What I am saying is he is a qualified pilot. Why not have him flying hercs or something?

Steel Horse said:
Yes, millions of dollars have been spent, but what I am saying is they let him stay around at the squadron until he can attempt the centrifuge again.  Why not put him on multi-engine?

He had , in the estimation of the instructors ( from what i saw) good potential as a fast jet guy. He was doing well up to that point in the course. The guy has lots of jet time already. The fighter comunity is short people and could use people with experience. The only hurdle was the centifuge. Why not keep the guy where he is until the problem is rectified. The fact that he eventualy passed the FPC proves that the sytem works and that the right thing was done.

Steel Horse said:
I am not saying throw him out of the military. What I am saying is he is a qualified pilot. Why not have him flying hercs or something?

Umm...it was stated earlier, by the poster known as 23007 in the thread, that he is now on the multi course.

Quote from: volition on January 16, 2008, 08:12:40
Another cool show yesterday!! Too bad about the guy that called it quits...What happens to him, does he leave the military, or does he gets qualified on another aircraft?

He's in Portage now on the multi course.

CougarDaddy said:
Umm...it was stated earlier in the thread that he is now on the multi course.

Different guy, Coffin is on the Multi course bound for CC177s. They're talking about Lewis who eventually passed the Hornet OTU.

Inch said:
Different guy, Coffin is on the Multi course bound for CC177s. They're talking about Lewis who eventually passed the Hornet OTU.

My mistake. Thanks.

SupersonicMax said:

Max

Max, isn't the G-course done on 2B different from the centrifuge done at 410? I think you go there twice. But I could be wrong...

CDN Aviator said:
He had , in the estimation of the instructors ( from what i saw) good potential as a fast jet guy. He was doing well up to that point in the course. The guy has lots of jet time already. The fighter comunity is short people and could use people with experience. The only hurdle was the centifuge. Why not keep the guy where he is until the problem is rectified. The fact that he eventualy passed the FPC proves that the sytem works and that the right thing was done.

True enough, from what I saw he is a good pilot and does have seat time.

However, something like the centrifuge should not be looked at as a "hurdle" in my opinion (again for what that is worth).
To me, a hurdle is say learning to do a task in a specified time.
I mean the doctor they interviewed on the show basically said he could not explain what was happening, though he thought he was psychological.
What is shown there is a a safety concern.
I mean I don't know how many times he had to pass the test in the future to get back on the course, but he will always have those run of three black outs on the centrifuge that he carries with him.

Anyway I will leave it at that as someone with a lot of experience has made the choice to keep him.

Back