• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RPAS (was JUSTAS): the project to buy armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs

Are the Operators going to get redesigned:D "Wings"
That…uh…didn’t work so well with the RAF.

RPAS pilots had different wings from 2013-2019 but are now the same as other RAF pilots.

I don’t see a point to redesigning wings. Those folks fly something through the air that is the size of a CF-18. The difference is where the cockpit is located. The rules, regulations, and knowledge is the same.

There was an old AF Blues comic where they compared that to an EOD operator defusing a bomb with a robot, and whether that makes them a “fake EOD operator” because they didn’t cut the lines with their own hands. 😏

416 and 441 Tactical Fighter Squadrons were stood down quite recently, in 2006, as the CF-18 fleet reorganized, but I’d put good odds that at least one will be among the first F-35 Squadrons to stood up.

420 and 880 Squadrons were the last to operate the Tracker when they were stood down in 1990 — either one might be a good fit for RPAS.
I am pretty sure we’ll use the current Hornet Sqns to onboard the F-35.

For RPAS Sqn, why not 428 Sqn?

Yeah, except that Sqn crest is no longer considered acceptable.
In that case then the crest should be re-designed, but you can keep “Ghost Sqn”. Maybe this?

1703124182028.png

The motto may be an issue though.

1703124135018.jpeg

As an aside, I think we should re-design crests that are racist. The “glorification of death” stuff would be…interesting for something like 407 LRP Sqn.

1703124488623.jpeg

However, how obvious must it be? Can they replace the death’s head with something else and remove the anchor from 407’s crest? Or is “je te plumerai” a (425 Sqn’s motto) or “Going Down” (438 Sqn’s motto) a no-go as well?

Because
In that case then the crest should be re-designed, but you can keep “Ghost Sqn”. Maybe this?

View attachment 81915

The motto may be an issue though.

View attachment 81914
Because it's not like we're short of money or anything so we can afford this utter bullshit.
Maybe it's time to take to take Rick Mercer's advice from his infamous Armed Forces funding rant from 2004.
Maybe we should just shut up and sit at the kiddies table with Iceland.

Because it's not like we're short of money or anything so we can afford this utter bullshit.
Maybe it's time to take to take Rick Mercer's advice from his infamous Armed Forces funding rant from 2004.
Maybe we should just shut up and sit at the kiddies table with Iceland.
I will respectfully disagree and say that maybe we shouldn’t have racist imagery on crests or mottoes.

Reactions: MJP
Commander, 1 Canadian Air Division. At a townhall. Several Sqn crests are being re-designed to remove elements considered racist today or any glorification of death.
Is there a list of the designated racist squadrons? The first one that comes to mind is 417, which has imagery that is clearly fascist, and even says so in the official heraldic description: “the fasces commemorate the fighting in Italy”

Canada has a national heraldry agency that signs off on badges, isn’t it their job to clear out the fascist imagery? I mean, Commander 1CAD is a pretty busy guy, maybe the busiest MGen position we have, I can’t imagine he has much time to redesign heraldic badges.

Attachments

• 7FAF1C33-8870-4234-B3FA-3ABCD229E994.jpeg
    7FAF1C33-8870-4234-B3FA-3ABCD229E994.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 9
Is there a list of the designated racist squadrons? The first one that comes to mind is 417, which has imagery that is clearly fascist, and even says so in the official heraldic description: “the fasces commemorate the fighting in Italy”

Canada has a national heraldry agency that signs off on badges, isn’t it their job to clear out the fascist imagery? I mean, Commander 1CAD is a pretty busy guy, maybe the busiest MGen position we have, I can’t imagine he has much time to redesign heraldic badges.
You're putting the cart before the horse.

Fasces are a symbol going back to the Roman republic (and Etruscans before that) and were the symbol of a magistrate (key government office holders) power. Effectively law and order and government authority.

The fact that Mussolini adopted them as a symbol for his Fascist Party and coining the term fascism is long after the fact. As you point out, 417 Squadron initially deployed in WW2 to the Mediterranean theatre where it fought the Italians.

The fasces remain a symbol in general use as symbols of many institutions including on the seal of the US Senate. the the US National Guard Bureau, a canton in Switzerland, the Norwegian police, the Washington College of Law etc.

330px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Senate.svg.png
330px-NGB-seal.svg.png
143px-Coat_of_arms_of_canton_of_St._Gallen.svg.png
210px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Norwegian_Police_Service.svg.png
480px-American_University_Washington_College_of_Law_seal.svg.png

It's time to use some common sense - I know that's hard for a large part of the Canadian population - and go back to basic principles as to what use a certain piece of heraldry is used for. For 417 it is clearly not the glorification of fascism. It supports its motto re liberty and justice and but its fight against fascism.

🍻

Now, I wasn’t there but I’m assuming that Comd 1 CAD is re-designing them himself.

Back