• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAVS in combat

Did I mention it was a "My Side!" shoot?

:-[

Now, back in 1999, we said what was needed was a new gunnery command: "YOUR side!" Ordered when the CC is screwed up and gives everything to the gunner...

I can tell you as a gunner in the Armour corp we do not use HEI thats what ive been taught

GO RECCE
DRAGOONS

TCBF:

Wasn't Paul Hellyer Lester (Mike) Bowles Pearson's Minister of Defence?  Him of the Liberal Party and the Nobel Peace Price?  With Nukes? In Canada? Surely you're making this up?  ;D

Only the Infantry use HEI-T ammo if you look at the firing tables you will see shoots saying that the rounds are fired in a "Z" pattern. That is as been said before to be used on dismounted troops in trenches.

mitch83 said:
I can tell you as a gunner in the Armour corp we do not use HEI thats what ive been taught

GO RECCE
DRAGOONS
You are quite correct.  The HEI-T appears in the firing tables of Basic Gunner and Crew Commander for Infantry only.  This is currently being re-evaluated.

Yeah,  just found out today HEI is going to be theatre specific and looks like were using it for upcoming tour sounds good to me ! :skull:

About the M242 Chain gun. Here is a pic taken about 3 weeks ago at Robertson Barracks in Darwin.  Thats me, 3rd from the left, next to the guy in civvies.

The course was 6 weeks long, and covered this M242, the 12.7 QCB, and the turret, MG mounts etc, all in its entirety. Full on fun.

The M242 is a beast of a gun, and it seems to defy all the standard known principals of how a basic MG works. Its more like a transmission with a gun barrel, electrically driven.

There was 6 of us on the course, ranging from CFN to WO2, plus 3 instructors who came up from Victoria wiith the ALTC Mobile Trg Team.

Cheers and beers,

Wes

"The M242 is a beast of a gun, and it seems to defy all the standard known principals of how a basic MG works. Its more like a transmission with a gun barrel, electrically driven."

- "A transmission with a gun barrel,"  not bad, can I use that?

- In hot weather, remember to lube it A LOT.  As the DOD civ Apache gun mech told us at the 'dunes' south of KAF "That's it! Grease the hell out of it!  Coat it so you can't even see the bicycle chain."

Tom

It's the only way the bloody thing will operate in KAF....just drown it.

Keep the dust covers on though  ;)

Regards

Yes grease it to death. We use a moly based grease, along with XG242 GP grease. However don't get anything in the sear solenoid (spelling). Its got be dry because the grease will effect the micro switch at its base.

The bolt and track can handle the grease no problems.

Cheers,

Wes

Back