• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Law suits while working...

Tpr.Orange

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all, im in a little bit of a bind.

Im just recently became involved in a law suit while on a class B contract. It isn't going to court right now, paper work is just being tossed between my lawyers and the other parties lawyers. Because of this will I have to notify my chain of command?? and if so will this impact my current employment as a Class B reservist?

Thanks for all of you help...

Stressed...
CFN Orange

more info needed

you're on class B

Did this happen in uniform or on / with the military?

If so.. YES

If not...  you do need to tell your chain of command of criminal proceedings
against you... but personal?  Good question.

You should inform your chain of command, so that they won't be surprised if it has an impact on availability for work, requirements for leave, etc. How strongly they may react, and whether it might affect your continued employment, will likley depend on your role in the affair. For example, they may look upon it less favourably if this is a result of your involvement in something that may reflect badly on the CF.

It would be best to keep them informed.  In a court case, it may take months before anything could happen, so it may have no affect on your Call Out.  You may not have to make an appearance in court until some time further down the road.

The incident was not done on CF time or while in uniform.

And it doesn't look badly on the CF, it was a vehicle accident. No DD or anything of that sort.

It seems the general consensus that i should just let them know of impending court appearances and that it doesn't deal with criminal court proceedings, strictly personal claims.

That being said i will just pass it up the chain and see how it goes.

CFN. Orange said:
And it doesn't look badly on the CF, it was a vehicle accident. No DD or anything of that sort.

In that case, you may only have an Investigator from the Insurance Company, and perhaps a lawyer in a years time, come and ask you questions.  It may be a year or more before a legal "discovery" is conducted.  You may never ever see a court room.  It all depends on how the claim progresses.

George Wallace said:
In that case, you may only have an Investigator from the Insurance Company, and perhaps a lawyer in a years time, come and ask you questions.  It may be a year or more before a legal "discovery" is conducted.  You may never ever see a court room.  It all depends on how the claim progresses.

Its past the investigator part just about 2 years ago now, this is just resurfacing now as the actual suit. *thankfully my dads a lawyer* This one has already sited one day for the initial court response...So looks like i have 20 days to show.

Thanks for your help guys

Back