• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LF: Winter fur Cap Yukon style

a Sig Op said:
You people have strange definitions of professionalism, and god willing, will never be in a posistion to dictate dress.

Then again, my long standing definition of professionalism is being able to do your job, and is not in any way defined by which silly hat looks better.

Also, if it were up to me, we'd all wear them big ol' bear skin bee hive sort of things... could keep a spare set of pt clothes and a lunch in there...

I guess God isn't willing ;D

I always get a kick out of folks who seem to think professionalism is only about competence and technical skill.  Professionalism is all-encompassing.  You don't get to choose which parts suit you.  Being professional means being technically competent, skilled AND looking the part.  You can graduate first in your class at law school, but if you show up in court in sweat pants and a t-shirt, no one will pay any attention to you, no matter how good a lawyer you are.  We have a good winter hat for operational use.  Now we need one for wear with service dress.

I'm puzzled by the O-group that says you can't wear Yukon hats.  They're in the dress manual.  As long as you're not on parade, you should be allowed.  It's almost as if a lower headquarters has decided to overrule the CDS's order, which of course the dress manual is...

Might there be some controversy attached to this hat?  Pusser, do you remember where you picked yours up?

Section 2 par. 15(f) of the CF dress regs:
Yukon Cap. This optional item may be worn with service dress (No. 3 orders), with topcoats and parkas during winter dress periods. The cap is worn square on the head with the lower edge 2.5 cm (1 in.) above the eyebrows. The front fur flap is always fastened up to the body of the cap. According to the severity of the weather, the ear flaps may be worn up, secured with the tie ribbons over the top of the cap, or pulled down to protect the ears and back of neck, with the ribbons tied securely under the chin. Hat badges are not to be worn.

That plus the picture that I posted earlier makes it pretty clear that you have to tie the ribbon in a bow (no velcro).  I had already checked the William Scully website and seen that specific hat, but wasn't sure whether it was the right one.  If someone else could confirm that it is indeed the CF approved Yukon cap, everyone interested can go and purchase it and bring the Yukon cap back! Except of course those who operate within JTFN ;)

Edit: In addition to the muskrat version, William Scully also has the hat in Genuine Mouton (http://williamscully.ca/gallery2/v/Products/caps+and+headwear/3-1001_yukon-style_genuine_mouton.jpg.html) and Immitation Mouton (http://williamscully.ca/gallery2/v/Products/caps+and+headwear/3-1002_yukon_style_immitation_mouton+.jpg.html)
Which, if any, is the proper Yukon cap?

SirWhite said:
Might there be some controversy attached to this hat?  Pusser, do you remember where you picked yours up?

I bought it at the Canex in Halifax years ago.

Privateer said:
I'm not warranting that this is the exact hat as defined in the dress regs, but I think that it is it.  I was confident enough to order and wear one myself.  I told them what I was looking for and they said that, yes, this was the item.  However, IIRC the dress regs say that the hat has a velcro tie, whereas with mine you have to tie the ties in a bow.

It's from William Scully:  http://williamscully.ca/gallery2/v/Products/caps+and+headwear/3-1000_Yukon_Style_+Muskrat_Fur_Trim.jpg.html

I went to the William Scully shop last Thursday to inquire about the cap.  I simply asked if they had the Yukon cap that was approved for wear in the CF. The guy at the counter immediately showed me the same hat as in Privateer's link. I then insisted that the dress regs mention that the hat needs to be black (it's described at one point as: Hat, winter black, Yukon – pattern).  The man said that the color black only has to do with the crown of the hat (the part without fur.)  I told him I would buy it at the condition that they checked their documentation to make sure that it's the right hat.

Today I got a call from Scully's and was told that the hat that was shown to me was also the one sold at Canex.  I never personally saw such a hat being sold at Canex, however I did recently contact Canex by email to inquire about the matter and was referred to this http://www.crowncap.com/warehouse/cartshop/productview.asp?key=81 which looks oddly like the one at Scully's (except that Scully's sells for 65$, a much better price than Crown Cap's 150$.)

So Scully's and Canex both agree upon the same hat.  They of course are not the most official sources available, however they're pretty good (Scully's has been producing uniforms for the CF for over 100 years).  I guess my choice is made.  Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion.  I will update you if I get in trouble because of this hat!  ;)

Also, do any moderators agree that this thread might be better off transferred over to the quartermaster's uniform section?

The only ones that I saw sold in Canexes (Canices...?) were all black - no non-black fur - and were far less than $150.00. They were actually rather chintzy in my opinion. The "fur" was synthetic.

I just checked and JTFN's kit shop has them for $160 and plenty in stock

Strangely, I think I saw one on the boardwalk in KAF outside the leather jacket place.

And "Canices"?  Nice.  :nod:

Dimsum said:
Strangely, I think I saw one on the boardwalk in KAF outside the leather jacket place.

That's where the TUAV Flight mascot - a fat ginger cat named Ballsack - ended up.

Back