• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for advice/information

kyfho

Inactive
Reaction score
I hastily joined the military as infantry in 2009 at the age of 22 and left shortly before completing basic as I began to realize through talking to my instructors and asking many questions that infantry was the wrong choice for me. 

The plan was to leave and re-apply to be a meteorologist. (Rather than complete basic and then apply to transfer trades which I was informed could take quite some time.)

I kinda fell ass-backwards into a landscape contract that pays very well from May 1st until Labour day.

Ideally I would love to be able to balance my current summer contract with being able to be a full time meteorologist through the rest of the year, and I do not know if or how that is possible.

Any information, recommendations, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

kyfho said:
I hastily joined the military as infantry in 2009 at the age of 22 and left shortly before completing basic as I began to realize through talking to my instructors and asking many questions that infantry was the wrong choice for me. 

The plan was to leave and re-apply to be a meteorologist. (Rather than complete basic and then apply to transfer trades which I was informed could take quite some time.)

I kinda fell ***-backwards into a landscape contract that pays very well from May 1st until Labour day.

Ideally I would love to be able to balance my current summer contract with being able to be a full time meteorologist through the rest of the year, and I do not know if or how that is possible.

Any information, recommendations, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

No.

If you're referring to meteorological technician, it is a regforce-only trade and you can not enter it part-time. http://www.forces.ca/en/job/meteorologicaltechnician-10

If you want to be a meteorologist, you will have to go to school to become one - nothing to do with the military. If you want to go on short-term contracts with the military, pick a reserve trade, complete recruit school and trades training, then go to REO to look at contracts. Its going to take you a long time to get there.

In the meantime, take a look at REO anyway. Depending on your trade and experience, the odds of you repeatedly winning contracts during the part of the year that you want, doing what you want, where you want to do it, is pretty unlikely.

http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/reo-oer/index.aspx?lang=eng

Thank you, I appreciate the response.  Meteorological technician is what I meant yes, it's been a few years. 

Back