• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for info. and sites on how Dieppe effected D-Day

• Thread starter Thread starter Spiels
  • Start date Start date
S

Spiels

I‘ve been researching the effects that Dieppe had on the planning of D-Day. If anyone knows the names of any solid books or even websites that I could use, please HELP me out. Thanks :cdn:

Some books do indeed talk about it - try Whitaker‘s book DIEPPE: TRAGEDY TO TRIUMPH. Frankly, I think you‘re on the wrong track. Dieppe was a divisional raid (ie all landing troops were supposed to leave the same day), while Normandy was a lodgement by 6 divisions reinforced with 3 airborne divisions as well as commando/ranger elements.

You‘d be better off examining how Gallipoli, Guadalcanal, Sicily, Wake Island or any of the other, successful amphibious invasions effected planning for D-Day. Especialy Sicily, which was actually a bigger landing operation than D-Day in Normandy (more divisions and a much wider frontage than Normandy, though Normandy had more ships and planes).

Thanks for the reference. Your reply shows me that I am on the right track because the paper I am writing states that Dieppe was not necessary to the success of D-Day. I am using the comparisons of the two operations to prove this. Thanks.

Spiels,

Look into the provision of air cover.

Iirc, the one good thing that came out of all of that was the Allied ability to project local air superiority. It wasn‘t known if they could prior to the raid, and once established, went a long way towards a successful return to the continent.

Cheers-Garry

Garry your on the right track.....
"It was further agreed at the Teheran conference that the main task of the British and Americans in 1944 should be the invasion of north-west Europe. The experience of the raid on Dieppe in August 1942 by Canadian troops not adequately supported from air and sea had taught the Allies the absolute necessity of making an opposed landing on a hostile coast - one of the most difficult operations in all warfare - afully combined operation by all three services"
A Concise History of Warfare, by
Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein.

I‘m with Michael, take a look at Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily. Large operation and several problems noted including first wave assault troops coming ashore on the wrong beaches and airborne forces being wildly scattered in the night drop.

BTW Michael considering Gallipoli a "success" might be looked on as a tad optomistic by any stretch of the imagination.

Back