• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for input!

STJ_Kierstead

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all!

New User, I have recently decided that I will be joining the reserves. I will give a brief description of my background with hopes of input and feedback to my questions throughout!

I have a university degree in criminology, I have worked Corrections in NB and I have also worked at the nuclear power point as an unarmed guard with their security.

I have minimal experience with firearms but am eager and interested in the training mentioned from the recruiter I spoke with.  I will be giving in my paperwork near the middle of august as the recruiter told me he thinks a class will be put on near the end of august. [If i have time to fill the paperwork before then, it will be handed in asap.]

I went on the website and looked through different trades but am still not very sure what is offered at the SJ base, I will be available every thursday night and every weekend and numerous nights throughout the week [whenever possible] (I work a normal job 9-6 M-F)

I have a very supporting gf who has been extremely helpful and supportive which means the world to me, i am turning to the online community for answers and guidance from members with experience.

I welcome any input anyone can offer, I am very eager to get the paper work handed in and my basic training to begin.  I eat very healthy and am in what I would say above average shape [need improvement on my endurance for running] - do pushups regularly and pull ups every time i enter the kitchen.

thank you!

Just one point, if you are only applying now, don't hold your breath on getting on a course at the end of August.  The recruiting process can be time consuming.

See this thread: Application Process Samples.

I will for sure take a look,
thank you!

The recruiter I spoke with said that recruiting has been slowed down over the summer.  Did not realize it could take a while longer after applying, I will get my paperwork in as fast as i can.  Maybe if I find time tonight to finish up the paperwork, I will hand them in on lunch break tomorrow.  I know the security clearance takes time - I have had level 2 clearance before, not sure if that speeds it up at all.  I will get my criminal background check handed in as fast as i can to. Anything possible to enhance my chances of getting in, sooner the better - really looking forward to it.

this is the change i have been waiting for, i have always had the idea in the back of my head - finally acting on my urge, i know it is the right move!

I went on the website and looked through different trades but am still not very sure what is offered at the SJ base

Ask your recruiter about what PRes trades are available as that will tell you what you can apply too.

Handing in your own background check won't matter as the CAF will do there own check.

As mentioned the process will take time as you still have to do a CFAT, medical, and interview and then from there be merit listed.

Also do some reading on the forum as many of the questions you have have probably been asked and answered.

Good Luck

Thank you Teager, I have been browsing and found useful links and topics!

I will attempt contacting the recruiter I spoke with on my lunch break and see if he can forward me a list of trades offered - I read a real useful topic regarding a man who has training with IT field, and the response was "why do the same thing" - "look for something new and exciting" and that made me realize the possibility of trying something new is not as nerve wrecking as i had imagined, he is rite - going to try something new!

After contacting the recruiter for the reserves in my area and receiving information on trades available I have made my top three selections and received the paper-work i need to fill out in order to continue through the application process!

my top three are as follow

Resource Management Support Clerks 00298
Artillery Officer 00179
Signals Officers 00341

One question I still have is in regards to the Signals Officer position, what would "Cryptographic and communications" entail? cracking codes / listening to conversations/online activities?

Can you apply for both NCM and Officer trades at the same time?  ???

PMedMoe said:
Can you apply for both NCM and Officer trades at the same time?  ???

It's all based on the "entry plan".  Therefore, you cannot apply for Officer and NCM at the sametime.

thank you for that, I am not at the stage to decide yet but i do wish to receive officer training after basic - just dont quite understand timeline.  I have been reading the forums and outside sources all day, having a blast sending off PM's with questions and looking forward to answers!

anyone able to help better understand the timeline?  After accepted into the reserves, i believe it is based on availability through the trade selection.  After they swear you in, you do basic training - after basic training, what do you do - i have read that my local barracks/armory is open for training thursday nights and weekends.  If succesful i would be there as much as i possibly could soaking it all in like a sponge.  How long after basic training does it take with a previous university degree, before you can apply to start your officer training?

STJ_Kierstead, if you are accepted into the Canadian Forces in a officer trade, you do not have to reapply in order to start training to be a officer.

As for what Reserves do during the training year, that will vary depending on the type of unit(Infantry, Service Battalion, Medical, etc).

Good day,

My 2 cents in what I can give you based on my own experience with the process is that the process is much longer than 4 weeks. Considering the CFRC has to schedule you in for your tests, complete security checks in order to provide you with enhanced reliability status, the time frame which MWO of my unit told me was about 6 months. I nailed it within 3 months and a half, as I'm just waiting to get sworn into my unit. Anyhow, good luck with the rest of your application buddy!

thank you Dark! good to know and goodluck with swearing in!

I have filled out all my paperwork and have a meeting today at 1430h with my recruiter.  I don't know if this will speed the process of security clearance up at all but i have had level 2 CSIS clearance from past employment.  If not it at least made it much easier to fill in the past 5 years of residence and employment. I had saved the paperwork thankfully. I have moved so much in the past years for university and working in Alberta, would have been a headache to get all the postal codes and phone numbers to landlords if i had not had the information!

cheers,
Kierstead

Back