• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lower Back Reasessment

FutureMP101

Reaction score
Hello,

Over 2 years ago I was approved for lower back degenerative disk disease at 10 percent. I put in for a reassessment as my sciatica has become constant now. Will I need new imaging for vac for the reassessment? How long are these taking these days.

Just talking out of my arse a bit, but knowing them, they'd likely want something new - an MRI as a for instance showing nerve root involvement, likely another physical exam note from who's ever looking after you. As for timings, up to the radiology Gods where you live (to determine when the exam gets done) as well as follow up assessments by your health care team and the civil(ish) servants at VAC to process, evaluate, figure out which bin to throw it into, etc.

You will need new imaging for the doctor you see to give a new diagnosis. That is an important part I found out when talking to VAC. Without an actual diagnosis on file VAC cannot approve anything. A simple note on file saying Bloggins has this issue doesn't work.

Just talking out of my arse a bit, but knowing them, they'd likely want something new - an MRI as a for instance showing nerve root involvement, likely another physical exam note from who's ever looking after you. As for timings, up to the radiology Gods where you live (to determine when the exam gets done) as well as follow up assessments by your health care team and the civil(ish) servants at VAC to process, evaluate, figure out which bin to throw it into, etc.
Yah my first MRI already showed nerve root involvement. My doctor didn’t see a need for another one and it would be a massive wait to get that done anyway. Prob over a year. Fingers crossed I don’t need it.

You will need new imaging for the doctor you see to give a new diagnosis. That is an important part I found out when talking to VAC. Without an actual diagnosis on file VAC cannot approve anything. A simple note on file saying Bloggins has this issue doesn't work.
I’m already diagnosed and pensioned for the condition with vac. I’m just trying to get a reassessment as it’s gotten a lot worse.

Thinking like a bean counter, if the condition's changed, they'll want to see...that's just me/my opinion of course. And yeah, I hear you about the MRI taking awhile...unless you're willing to pay out of pocket if there is a private clinic nearby. They'll likely for sure want supporting documentation from those looking after you...

Thinking like a bean counter, if the condition's changed, they'll want to see...that's just me/my opinion of course. And yeah, I hear you about the MRI taking awhile...unless you're willing to pay out of pocket if there is a private clinic nearby. They'll likely for sure want supporting documentation from those looking after you...
Yah I hear yah. My doc filled out all the forms for the reassessment and did the tests so I hope that’s enough.

We get that you were already diagnosed at a certain level. They will want a new diagnosis reflecting the change.

Hello,

Over 2 years ago I was approved for lower back degenerative disk disease at 10 percent. I put in for a reassessment as my sciatica has become constant now. Will I need new imaging for vac for the reassessment? How long are these taking these days.

I’m in the process for a lumbar reassessment. I requested reassessment in Jan 2033. I’m still serving so CF H Svcs referred me for a new MRI late winter last year (my last one was 2004). If you are out, VAC should pay for any required imaging, travel, etc for any entitled condition.

VAC will send you a reassessment package. Mine came in the mail and also on My VAC secure inbox. There is a huge delay in reassessments; I didn’t get the reassessment package until October 2023.

The package will have several forms and letters including tests and measurements VAC needs from your doctor. There are both active and passive parts to it - I was pretty sore for a few days after; I just did the physical part last week with the local base physio dept.

From there, for me, I meet with my primary clinician (flight surgeon) in the near future for review, comments/notes and signature. Then I let VAC know it is complete and they will request it from my SHRs (service health records). I’ll probably upload a scanned copy of it head of time as well.

I have to fill out a new QOL questionnaire; that completes the package.

Once VAC receives the completed package, the average processing time for decision is around 11 weeks.

On the cover letter, it will give you a date you have to have your package submitted by or request an extension. Mine was 4 months from
receipt.

Edited to add; just saw your subsequent post. If I were you, I’d consider asking a question via My VAC “will I need a new MRI as part of this reassessment”.

Back