• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Luna

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Reaction score
For those of you on the West Coast MCDV's, I'm sure some of you were familiar with this character:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/10/luna_dead060310.html

I can't imagine how the skipper and crew of the General Jackson must feel. Article reproduced with grateful appreciation to the CBC under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act. 

C B C . C A  N e w s  -  F u l l  S t o r y :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly killer whale sucked into tugboat's propeller
Last Updated Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:27:47 EST
CBC News
Luna, the Vancouver Island killer whale with a reputation for being friendly to humans, was killed after getting too close to a tugboat's propellers.

Dr. John Ford, a scientist with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, confirmed Friday Luna died after being sucked into the propellers of the Vancouver tugboat General Jackson in Nootka Sound, on the west coast of the island.

Luna the killer whale (CP file photo)) 
"There's really no blame," said Ford, referring to the fact Luna loved playing with boats of any kind and seemed able to keep safe.

The killer whale arrived in the community of Gold River in Nootka Sound in 2001 after he got separated from his pod. He took an interest, and the people of Gold River got used to him.

Luna's friendly nature attracted worldwide attention and brought many tourists to the pulp mill town.

By 2004, Luna's affection for boats and float planes became a hazard. Fisheries officials tried to relocate him down the coast to reunite him with his pod, but local aboriginal people protested. The Mowaat-Muchalaat First Nation believe Luna to embody the spirit of their dead chief who died just days before Luna appeared.

Fisheries authorities and the Mowaat-Muchalaat hammered out an agreement to watch out for Luna, leaving him in the sound.

David Wiwchar, the managing editor of of the Ha-Shilth-sa newspaper, said the tug had arrived in the sound in bad weather, pulling a large log-dumping barge.

Luna was familiar with the General Jackson and went out to meet it, and got sucked into the propellers, and was killed immediately.

"We have been told that the skipper is greatly distressed," said Lara Sloan, spokesperson for the Fisheries Department.

"The tug was idling – it is assumed that Luna was doing what he usually does and that is playing around the propellers."

Ed Thorburn with the Fisheries Department said he had noticed Luna wasn't coming to shore as often in the past few weeks. The whale was also sporting new cuts near his eyes. "He didn't socialize with people on boats so much as rubbing against the bottoms of boats. That's a bit of a change."

Fisheries officials say they are 99 per cent sure Luna is the whale that was killed. Scientists from the department say they will take tissue samples for research purposes and to confirm that it was Luna.

Copyright ©2006 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

Sad news, never seen an orca in the wild before but have seen blue, minkie, right and others while at sea to feel akinship with them.

We were on the west coast when Luna was first rescued....but it is sad that he had to die the way he did, even if he was playing around as usual.

:(

It is very sad that Luna died, but I think it was inevitable.  Luna should have been rejoined with the pod and I feel that the blame for the death lies with those that thwarted the efforts.  They wanted Luna to remain where a whale didn't belong and socialized the wild animal.

at the risk of seeming cold and un-PC... I am relieved I will no longer have to hear incessant news stories about this animal...it was frankly getting nauseating... if someone wanted to spend non-public money to reunite this whale with its pod, great, go for it. When this didn't work out, and with this animal presenting a continued hazard to shipping, and causing damage to vessels in the area, something should have been done long ago. This was truly a sad result, but short of shooting the thing, a good solution, imho, would have been to capture this whale and put it in the Vancouver aquarium...the thing liked people anyway... however, political correctness and the belief that it was a reincarnated native chief meant it was doomed. The very definition of irony, it was loved to death...

Back