• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Atlantic to offer free fare to vets, Forces members

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Article Link

Marine Atlantic to offer free fare to vets, Forces members
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 | 3:16 PM NT
CBC News

The Crown corporation operating the ferry service connecting southern Newfoundland with Nova Scotia will offer free rides next year to military personnel, although it's far from clear how the plan will work.

Marine Atlantic will offer veterans, members of the Armed Forces and Department of National Defence employees free travel during 2009.

Communications director Tara Laing said the plan is a way for Marine Atlantic to thank members of the forces.

However, officials have not yet determined how long the plan will run, and whether it will include passenger tickets and vehicle passes.

"The details of that package as of yet we haven't finalized," Laing said.

Steve Pottle, a veteran living in Stephenville, said any break is appreciated.

"That's a great announcement. The cost is getting higher and higher to do anything," Pottle said. "It's more of a hardship on the veterans, I would say, because they are definitely on a fixed income."

Dick Alexander, a reservist and a member of the Royal Canadian Legion, said he wonders how the program will operate.

"How are they going to identify the veterans? Because normally they don't carry any identification," Alexander said. "They would have to know that they're veterans."

Laing said details should be worked out when Marine Atlantic's 2009 schedule is released in the late fall.

Marine Atlantic's offer is similar to Via Rail plan that will operate this June.

Last month, Gerry Byrne, a Newfoundland Liberal MP, called on Marine Atlantic and the federal government to follow suit.

Totally awesome to hear..my dad works on those ferries as an engineer hehe, so I'd have the full tour and ride for free (when my recruitment goes through)

Back