• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine engineer mechanic academics requirements

tekhead

Inactive
Reaction score
First post! I learned a lot on this forum but can't find the answer and my recruitment center hasn't found the answer for me yet.

On the forces.ca website, it says that only grade 10 is requirement for that trade.
At the recruitement office, it says grade 10 + Pure maths (and bonus for physics) (or 426-436 Quebec)

I've done my schooling in Quebec and they have a different system (obviously). I've got my math 416 and 514. (Regular math grade 11-12).

• Anybody from Quebec can tell me what Math course they had when they applied?
  • Anybody from Alberta can tell me what Math course they had when they applied?

I really want to get started on a equivalency if I need one....

Thank you!

Mar Eng QL3 Math will take you from the equivalent of Gr 8 basics through Gr 10, if that.  If you can multiply/divide fractions, solve equations for one unknown and more importantly pay attention and listen to what is asked of you, you'll be golden.

I understand, but there is still an actual requirement to be accepted in the trade, unskilled. Trying to figure out if it Math 10-C, 10-3, 20-1,20-2,20-3 and so on.....

It seems weird to me that your recruiting center can't tell you right away.. The MarEng trade is in demand at the moment and they are actively recruiting people so the recruiting center should know what the requirements are..

Before starting anything I would wait until they come back with an answer.

Did you apply or you just went in and asked?

I applied in person on May 23rd. They suggested it might be faster due to the fact that North Bay is very busy?

Well I've received the answer this week. They will accept my regular math from grade 12 (514) and I won't need to do a upgrade!

In Alberta, the required math course would a been 10-C.

Thread closed!

One thing to bear in mind is that the math phase most tech trade QL3 is meant to be a refresher of what you know. Case in point, the electrician QL3 math phase is a whole 12 periods of instruction, and there is nothing on it which is not covered in HS GR10 math. However, you will start taking more advanced math on subsequent trade courses.

Back