• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Question

riseabove

Inactive
Reaction score
I have two questions that I think I know the answer to, but thought I would throw them out there for any additional information you all might be able to hurl at me.

I am in process of hopefully being given a job offer by the CF, for NCM MP. I am waiting for a phonecall to be scheduled for my CFAT, Med Exam, etc.

My questions pertain to the medical exam.

The more troubling of the two for me is the following...

At 16 my brother (who was having a psychotic break, as he suffers from schizoaffective disorder) attacked me and beat me. No lasting injuries. This was over 10 years ago. I was sent to see a psychologist to be assessed for post traumatic stress disorder, and saw her for maybe 3 months before I stopped going. I was never on any medication, and never had any lasting issues like nightmares, etc. and "got over" the whole ordeal just fine.

However, I have NO idea who that person was, what her name was, and she likely doesn't even practice in the same area anymore, as the last time I was to my hometown (in March 2010) the building she had worked in was no longer there.

I am assuming that I should voluntarily see a psychologist and have some sort of screening done, and have that doctor write a letter that I can take with me to my medical examination. Am I correct in this assumption? Any light shed here would be great.

The other question I have is this: I had major surgery done over 8 years ago. I cannot get ahold of anyone at the hospital that will actually help me with records (I spent 90 minutes of automated phone calls, and listening to extensions ring 50 times, etc. on two separate occasions, attempting to get information on my past medical records). Should I keep trying to get those records? Will I need a copy of them? If I don't have a copy of them handy by the time I have my medical exam, should I bring a copy of the fax I sent out requesting the information along with me to show? And if so, will this likely push my file backwards in line for being reviewed by the MP Board, for being incomplete? Should I electively have an ultrasound done, in case the files are gone now - I'm not sure how long OHIP makes hospitals keep records for.

Or should I just email my recruiter, and bother/nag him YET AGAIN, ha ha ha...?

Thanks for any insight or input, in advance.

Yeah. That turned into way more than 2 questions... ack.

I suggest you use the search function to investigate this while you wait, there is also a whole subsection that involves the medical exam, check it out.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,72.0.html

Good luck.

edited: sorry provided you with a wrong link.

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually perused the forum here as well as the general web, and the facebook CF group for several hours before posting this, as I felt I did not find adequate answers to the questions I have.

I also had some sergery done when i was five when i did my med they asked me to get some more info for them  i just went to my family doc he had it all in my file. Anyways maybe try you own doctor best of luck.... :cdn:

If the surgery was 8 years ago, likely a letter from your family doctor will suffice (depending on what was done of course, not to mention if there are any long lasting follow up).  The assessment by the psych should be the same - if you were referred by your family doc, they should have received some sort of letter from the therapist, so again it can be commented on by your family doc.  BTW, if the hospital can't won't get the records, track down the surgeon of record, as he/she should have something.

MM

riseabove said:
At 16 my brother (who was having a psychotic break, as he suffers from schizoaffective disorder) attacked me and beat me. No lasting injuries. This was over 10 years ago. I was sent to see a psychologist to be assessed for post traumatic stress disorder, and saw her for maybe 3 months before I stopped going. I was never on any medication, and never had any lasting issues like nightmares, etc. and "got over" the whole ordeal just fine.

However, I have NO idea who that person was, what her name was, and she likely doesn't even practice in the same area anymore, as the last time I was to my hometown (in March 2010) the building she had worked in was no longer there.

I am assuming that I should voluntarily see a psychologist and have some sort of screening done, and have that doctor write a letter that I can take with me to my medical examination. Am I correct in this assumption? Any light shed here would be great.

Why? You do not have PTSD, and probably never actually did, as you were never actually treated for the condition. You had some crisis management counceling, due to a traumatic incident.

If however, you were diagnosed, given treatments, medications etc, and/or had lasting effect today, the what you are asking is reasonable.

There is the question on the enrollment medical questionnaire "Have you ever been seen by psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker etc" - depending on when it occured, the RMO wants a commment from the therapist or referring physician.

MM

Interesting.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

My family doctor from the time period of the attack from my brother retired about 10 years ago.

I also was never referred to the surgeon who did my surgery. I saw him once, he did tests, did the surgery, and I saw him in the hospital and less than 2 months after the surgery I moved out of the country. I honestly don't even remember his name!

I guess where I'm forseeing the problem (and I am probably just over thinking things) is that I have now only lived back in Canada for 9 1/2 months, live in Nova Scotia as opposed to Ontario where I grew up, and don't have a family doctor yet as I have not needed one.

I would go to your current family doctor (if you have one) and discuss this situation. Don't leave it off your forms when you do your medical but if you know ahead of time that your doctor has cleared you, then you have no worries. The medical guy (or gal) will give you a sheet asking for further information that you take to the doc. Likely, both (the surgery and the crisis counselling) will end up going to the same doc. He just needs to write something stating that none of the issues are affecting your current health, that you have no mental long-term consequences from the event and that the surgery does not affect you now either... or, whatever. I'm not a doc, I don't know. But, essentially I was just reassuring you that if the medic feels something more is needed for your file, he'll let you know.

I'll give you an example... I had a surgery when I was 20 -- it was "major" enough but was not something that would have long-lasting effects on my health. Nothing was even required by my doctor on this. It depends on the type of surgery, what it was for, etc... heart surgery? hernia? etc... that kind of thing might warrant further investigation to ensure it's no longer an issue or whatever. Good luck!

Back