• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

medical category

nate

Inactive
Reaction score
???
To anyone who can help: (medic?)

I joined the army last summer, graduated basic top recruit & top shot, then on SQ I was put on a medical category for chronic knee pain.  I was granted a voluntary release before I could be medically released, which I was told takes forever.  I had knee problems when I was young as a goalie, and the problems came back during training.

I was wondering if it is possible to get back in to the army if I can prove my knees are better.  My med category I was put on is now:

v  cv  h  g  o  a
1  1  1  2  3  5

I understand that some categories mean you can never join again, but I was hoping there might be a chance.

thanks for your help,
nate

Well, 1-1-1 means you have virtually perfect vision, colour vision and hearing.

"G" refers to geographic factor, and basically refers to your ability to work in different climates, living conditions, and with varying access to health care. Most people score 2 on this category. You'll rarely be assessed for geographic unless you're going to become a pilot or astronaut or something particularly strenuous.

"O" refers to occupational factor. It refers to your ability to perform in a particular trade. Most people are given 2. Having the category of 3 means that there are some specific physical limitations, which should be detailed (no doubt referring to your knee problems). If I recall correctly, I think they will give you a temporary occupational factor of 3 if you become pregnant, and then will remove it once you're fit for duty.

"A" refers to Air factor. Most people have category 5, meaning you are allowed to fly IN an aircraft. You will only be evaluated for a higher status if you're looking to be employed as air crew (pilot, navigator, flight engineers etc.).

Having a 3 in occupational factor could limit you from employment in certain trades, depending on what the requirements are for that MOC, in fact, I think you need to score a minimum of 2 in order to be recruited, so you will have to get that category changed, assuming your problem has healed itself.

For the medical requirements for different trades, look here:

http://www.dnd.ca/health/policies/engraph/med_standards_home_e.asp?Lev1=7&Lev2=3

It should answer most of your questions. For anything remaining, I would suggest you call your local CFRC, and ask to speak to their medical personnel. They will have far more experience with these questions, and can probably schedule an appointment to evaluate your knee problems, if any, and could possibly assign you a new med cat.

Just make it clear, to get back in that O factor needs to be a 2 in order for you to get back in.  The medical standards link for all the occupations if mainly to assess trained members.  Eg.  to go logistics, the O can be a 3 but to undergo training it must be a 2.

If that is your release medical category, then you can reapply if you have information that will state that medical condition has been rectified.  But the medical issue will have to be cleared before any other processing for re enrolment will take place.

Back