• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Release ( merged )

ryanb2311 said:
How do I PM you?

Little word bubble thingy under my avatar or go to the "My messages" link near the search box, compose message to me.

MM

Hello,

After eight happy years in the reserves, and one tour to Afghanistan I am ready to pull the plug. I have a chit that doesnt allow me near weapons, or military vehicles, because of PTSD. Not just becasue im a bad driver, haha.  Ive just started my release in November.
People are trying to push me towards a medical release.  And i hear that can take years.  Ive been to the MO.  I am not interested in taking meds, and that seems to be the main treatment available.  So thats what started my release.

So what is the benifit to a medical release? 

It really depends on your personal situation.
I would recommend getting treatment. Meds are not the only way to do this. If your injury is CF related you may be entitled to a disability award and other benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada.

Have you gone to your local IPSC? Used to be SPHL. Some call it JPSU.
If there is one local go see them or call and make an appointment. They have the people there who can answer your questions and any entitlements you may benefit from.

As each individual case is different there is really no quick answer to your question, I am by no means an expert and would not want to provide you with the wrong information. Your chain of command and your doctor should be able to assist you.

There are Peer Support Councillor's that you can speak with that have been through similar situations so they can help you out, or just listen. Check the link and click on your region.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/jpsu-uisp/rjp-uis/index-eng.asp

I hope you get treatment. PTSD is a long and difficult road to recovery. I suffer as well and am still getting treatment and things are getting better for it.

Best Wishes

Definitely contact your local IPSC.  They can give you information on the benefits of a medical release as well a put you in touch with the many services that are available to service members.

OSISS (Operational Stress Injury Social Support) is a peer support group for members suffering from PTSD (http://www.osiss.ca/engraph/index_e.asp?sidecat=1).  Meds are not your only option and there is support available to you.

Take care of yourself.

TryingtoRelease said:
So what is the benifit to a medical release?

So 5 years down the road you can't turn around and say you got PTSD while in Afghanistan and had to leave the Canadian Forces and wasn't given any help assistance or support for your condition.

If you really want to just release and not deal with the hassle (understandable) then just release but understand getting help down the road will be difficult.

All very good advise.  You should ask as client service rep at your local IPSC,  everything you need outside of medical care is located there.  FYI, you can expedite a medical release,  you just have to let them know.

Trying to Release,

I can understand why you don't want the pharmaceutical approach.  That is something between you and your doctor, you certainly have the right to refuse treatment unless you are a danger to yourself or others.  Check out this site/facebook group, they may be able to help you and have been very helpful to many others.

http://www.facebook.com/MilitaryMindsYT?fref=ts

http://www.militaryminds.ca

There is nothing wrong with a medical release.  A 3b or 3a release is still an Honorable Discharge.  I have a little more than 6 years of reg force time and my release message is due "sometime" after Christmas.  With the current timelines I'll be out in time to move and start university in September.  And my actual release started in May, so looking at about a year, and I'm trying to shorten it as much as I can.

Your profile is pretty blank, so it's kinda hard to help you out more.  If you'd like you can PM more.  I'd be more then happy to help. 

Hello - I am freakishly close to the boundaries of my lanes here, but it appears you have suffered a service related injury/illness that precludes you from serving in the capacity needed/desired. If it was a broken back or poked-out eye, it would be obvious to most that you need to be released in a manner that ensures your future care, compensation, etc. PTSD should be looked at no differently, in my opinion.

There are many on the board far more familiar with the nuances of the system, and you already have a good start in getting some advice. I would encourage you to put the brakes on a bit, and continue to gather information not only pertaining to treatment but what other benefits might be available to you.

Hello,

I have just concluded my 3B release process and will be starting my retirement leave 1 March this year (whopping 2 days).  For me the time line was as follows just an FYI for others.  Keeping in mind I chose to waive disclosure and representation.

8 Months for PCAT to come in from DMED POL (Feb/Mar to Oct)
4 Weeks for the Message stating DMCA had my file (End Oct)
I waited 2 wks before submitting my memo (Mid Nov)
Memo went to DMCA end Nov (Got bounced around the CoC a bit before being sent)
Release Message was cut 9 January 2013 for Item 3B

Now in my case it was obvious I breached UoS (sometimes working in the system is a bit of a pain, ignorance can be bliss), so less then a year from when my PCAT was submitted.  Although I elected an earlier release, my initial date was 16 June 2013.

Of course this was after 2 years of fighting to stay in, hiding from the CM and having to continuously prove myself, successfully.  However, after almost 2 years of being seizure free, I started having them again.  :oops:

So I pushed the big fat red button to get out and move on with my life.

Just some timeline FYI for folks.

For me, its been almost three years now since the injury occurred.  3 months of Med Chits, 3 X TCAT's and now finally a submission for a PCAT which probably won't materialized until sometime this summer.  I to breach UoS and have been preparing for the inevitable outcome for sometime.  So it is a long drawn out process.  Mind you, I am still very productive at my unit and try not to let the med restrictions interfer in my work.

The only thing about it that really annoys the crap out of me!!!  When you know that some people think of you as "One of them...."  :-(

can someone break down and explain the difference between a 3(b) and 3(a) release. In Lamans terms. Thanks for your time.

From the source: http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-015-eng.asp

3 Medical

(a) On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform duties as a member of the Service.
(b) On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform his duties in his present trade or employment, and not otherwise advantageously employable under existing service policy.

So the difference between 3a which I understand is a unfit untrained soldier and 3b being a medically unfit trade trained soldier. So one is trained and the other is untrained? Is there only two types of medical release? Who decides If you are a 3A or 3B?

Its not who decides on what you get a 3(a) or 3(b) its based on what you have completed in the military. If you have your trade qual then you would fall under 3(b). If you don't have your trade qual then I believe you would fall under 3(a). For example if you get an injury on BMQ that you can't fully recover from and breach UoS then you would fall under a 3(a) release.

Difference between 3a and 3b release boils down this way.  After being assigned your MEL's from DMED POL your file goes to the AR(MEL) board at DMCA.  That board at the career shop decides what to do with you. 
If you are being released medically they must decide

1. if you are forever unfit for military service no matter what, thereby you get a, 3a release item, unfit for "Service".  Think of this as you lost both of your eyes and are paralyzed from the neck down and need a tube for just about everything (just for example).

2. if you are unfit for your trade and are currently unfit for anything else due to a policy (ie UoS or the Med Category System) then you get a 3b.  This police of course can be changed, and theoretically you can be fit for service once again.

Hope this helps to clear things up again.  The medical release items have nothing to do with your training level. As per the Regulations.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-015-eng.asp

After some time searching through the forums, I couldn't find any info on this so I thought I would ask it in here.  I'm being medically released for OSI's.  My dream has always been to be a police officer.  After being medically released for an OSI, are you still eligible for policing? (Municipal, provincial)  I ask because on my med chit it says no live ammunition or firearms.  Thanks for any insight you can give!

I'm not going to say yes or no to you. However my dad is a recently retired OPP officer and he's mentioned that those with PTSD or mental health issues don't have much in the chance of being hired. I to wanted to be a police officer but can't due to physical wounds. Note that if police officer isn't doable there may be other jobs within emergency services that may allow you to still work in that area of interest.

All the best.

Teager said:
I'm not going to say yes or no to you. However my dad is a recently retired OPP officer and he's mentioned that those with PTSD or mental health issues don't have much in the chance of being hired. I to wanted to be a police officer but can't due to physical wounds. Note that if police officer isn't doable there may be other jobs within emergency services that may allow you to still work in that area of interest.

I just looked at our online Health Questionnaire. I believe what your dad had to say would also apply to Paramedic.

As always, best to ask a Recruiter of the service(s) you wish to apply to.

Mukd I should also add that you should talk with the IPSC/JPSU staff and your case manager about career options and what is available to you. Once released you can also see what VAC has to offer. Using these resources and programs can help you find a job that you will still enjoy.

Mukd said:
After some time searching through the forums, I couldn't find any info on this so I thought I would ask it in here.  I'm being medically released for OSI's.  My dream has always been to be a police officer.  After being medically released for an OSI, are you still eligible for policing? (Municipal, provincial)  I ask because on my med chit it says no live ammunition or firearms.  Thanks for any insight you can give!

Not to rain on your parade....but how exactly do you plan on becoming a police officer if you cannot handle ammo or firearms?

Back