• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician competitiveness

2ndChoiceName

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently applying for the Army Reserve. I'm planning to spend a few years in the Reserves before applying for a CT/OT to Reg Force Medical Technician. Is there anything I can do in the 2-4 year interim that would make my application more competitive? I do fairly well in school, although not nearly well enough to get into a Paramedic program here in Ontario. Are there any university/college courses, or things such as volunteering or things I can do in the Reserves to make myself more competitive?

Thanks,

-2ndChoiceName

2ndChoiceName said:
Hello,

I am currently applying for the Army Reserve. I'm planning to spend a few years in the Reserves before applying for a CT/OT to Reg Force Medical Technician. Is there anything I can do in the 2-4 year interim that would make my application more competitive? I do fairly well in school, although not nearly well enough to get into a Paramedic program here in Ontario. Are there any university/college courses, or things such as volunteering or things I can do in the Reserves to make myself more competitive?
L
Thanks,

-2ndChoiceName

If you are planning a CT to the regs then you will need to meet the civilian applicant entry requirements,  unless things change in the iterim.

The requirements for the Reg Force or the requirements for Reg Force Med Tech? (Obviously both, but which are you referring to?)

2ndChoiceName said:
I do fairly well in school, although not nearly well enough to get into a Paramedic program here in Ontario.

From what I understand, program selection is based on the highest senior level final grade available at the time of ranking.

Which has eliminated many potential candidates who might have been fine Paramedics.

As for becoming a Med Tech, there are some suggestions in Reply #1 you may find helpful.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104329/post-1109744.html#msg1109744

From what I understand, program selection is based on the highest senior level final grade available at the time of ranking.

I see. Thanks for the link. I will definitely do more research wrt MedVents, and I am already taking the required courses in high school.

2ndChoiceName said:
I see. Thanks for the link. I will definitely do more research wrt MedVents, and I am already taking the required courses in high school.

Your profile says you are 16. You should still have time to improve your marks.

Yep, for sure, I already get in the mid to high 80s, Physics this semester really brought my average down though.

2ndChoiceName said:
Yep, for sure, I already get in the mid to high 80s, Physics this semester really brought my average down though.

You might want to check with the college(s) about Physics.

For example,
•English - any Grade 12 (C) or (U), or equivalent
•Biology - Grade 11 (C) or (U) or Grade 12 (U)
•Chemistry - Grade 11 (U) or Grade 12 (C) or (U) OR
Physics - Grade 11 (U) or Grade 12 (C) or (U)
http://www.niagaracollege.ca/content/Programs/HealthStudies/Paramedic.aspx

Thanks, so if I have PCP training prior to applying for the CT/OT, if I get accepted I won't have to do the JIBC portion of the training? Or how does it work?

2ndChoiceName said:
The requirements for the Reg Force or the requirements for Reg Force Med Tech? (Obviously both, but which are you referring to?)

Med Tech

2ndChoiceName said:
Thanks, so if I have PCP training prior to applying for the CT/OT, if I get accepted I won't have to do the JIBC portion of the training? Or how does it work?

It's called the search function.

Back