• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memo number for OT

GiJew

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've read thru just about everything and the only memo number I can find is 5035.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thank you very much.

File number? Your orderly room would have that.

Recovered from the CNE yet?

GIJew,
I'm doing an OT but I don't understand why you need a memo for it?! You just need to fillout the application form and send it throught your C-o-C. Unless I'm missing something?!

I was told to write a memo and apparently, there is a specific memo number for an OT

TB said:
GIJew,
I'm doing an OT but I don't understand why you need a memo for it?! You just need to fillout the application form and send it throught your C-o-C. Unless I'm missing something?!

Never hurts to send a memo for many things, especially something as important to you as an OT.  It puts your reasons and requests into a logical format, is proof of your request in writing, is formal, and shows that you have put time and effort into your request.

TB said:
+1 Airmich - Most OT programs will clearly state the requirement for a memo from the applicant enunciating his request and the reasons why they wish to OT. If you do not submit your reasons why you want/need to OT you may end up losing out if a competition of applicants is completed.

Yes there is a File Index # for OT's, and more often then not vary between EC's and between bases/ASU's/Wing's. Since this is your personal application your are better off using your Service Number which will also ensure it does not get misfiled (meaning it will get to your Pers File inclusive of any and all minutes).

PO2FinClk said:
+1 Airmich - Most OT programs will clearly state the requirement for a memo from the applicant enunciating his request and the reasons why they wish to OT. If you do not submit your reasons why you want/need to OT you may end up losing out if a competition of applicants is completed.

Yes there is a File Index # for OT's, and more often then not vary between EC's and between bases/ASU's/Wing's. Since this is your personal application your are better off using your Service Number which will also ensure it does not get misfiled (meaning it will get to your Pers File inclusive of any and all minutes).

There really isn't supposed to be a difference in subject file numbers according to the Defence Subject Classification and Disposition System as per their DIN website which states the following:

"Defence Subject Classification and Disposition System (DSCDS)
The File Classification Manual (AD-D10-001/AX-000) has provided the organizing DND/CF records since it was first issued in 1968. The Records Scheduling and Disposal Manual (A-AD-D11-001/AG-001) has provided instruction and guidance for the retention and disposition of DND/CF records since it was first issued in 1969.

While both publications have been amended several times, neither has been substantially modified since their initial promulgation. And, while both manuals describe and arrange DND/CF record holdings, they do so in fundamentally different ways. This has led to inconsistent and sometimes incorrect application of retention and disposition instructions. To correct this, and to ensure that DND/CF records management practices continue to meet the requirements of relevant legislation and central agency policy, the relevant components of these manuals have been integrated to create the Defence Subject Classification and Disposition System (DSCDS).

DND/CF units must use the DSCDS to organize information holdings so that the holdings are stored, retrieved, used and disposed of in a systematic and efficient manner.
The DSCDS has been sanctioned by Library and Archives Canada (LAC) as a disposition authority - thereby enabling its users to dispose of information legally, under the terms and conditions of the Library and Archives of Canada Act."

The file number to be used in this instance is:
5710    SERVICE PERSONNEL - OCCUPATIONAL TRANSFER OF NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS

File sub-identifiers are used to further define the subject such as  5710-0 relates to Policy, 5710-1 relates to General Matters and then units could break it down further such as 5710-3 OCC TRANSFERS - CORPORALS

This would also be a case where the SN and the file number could be used together i.e. 5710-1/A12 234 567 (Pers).  Copies of all pers documentation should also be put on the Subject File.  If the documentation is only on the Pers file and then the individual's pers file disappears, or the document disappears, or the file is sent to archives, etc, there is a copy held for unit retention for retrieval should it become necessary.

Aerobicrunner:

You are certainly correct.  As a Chief Clerk I would ensure that the document went into the correct CR file as well.  And, if a reply to the document were being drafted by me (on behalf of the Adjt/CO or whoever), I would use two file numbers as well.  I'd also expect my Coy/Sqn Clks to take similar action at their level.

I think, however, that for the young Cpl drafting a memo making a personal request, the SN alone would suffice.

Roy

GIJew said:
Hey all,
I've read thru just about everything and the only memo number I can find is 5035.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thank you very much.

Gi if you would like send me a PM I have a file nos listing the major numbers used for memo's. Good thing to have and it has saved a ton of time.

Cheers

Thank you everyone for all your help,

I got the correct number, I the memo is on it's way up the chain.

Cheers

Back