• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Dress

On the topic of mess kit.  Can anyone fill me in on Airforce Officer mess dress?  Do you typically wear an Airforce tartan cumberbund ? and how much does AF mess dress cost...typically.  I know most Army O's sit around a grand.  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

cheers,

PV

PViddy said:
On the topic of mess kit.   Can anyone fill me in on Airforce Officer mess dress?   Do you typically wear an Airforce tartan cumberbund ? and how much does AF mess dress cost...typically.   I know most Army O's sit around a grand.   Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

cheers,

PV

You can expect to pay around $600 to $700, including the accoutrements that you'll have to buy separately (cummerbund, bowtie, white shirt, cufflinks, buttons, etc).

Cheers,

X-Rigger

Here's the link for the Dress Regs for Mess uniforms - ftp://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/Downloads/Dhh/CFPs/cfp265.pdf.  Go to Chap 6, Appendix 1, Annex B for mess uniforms.

PS - For medical, waistcoats are CWO and above.

MM

The link didn't work.  Is it DIN ? i heard AF mess kit was significantly cheaper, but then agan that is why i am posting.

thanks for the info.

cheers

PV

PViddy said:
On the topic of mess kit.   Can anyone fill me in on Airforce Officer mess dress?   Do you typically wear an Airforce tartan cucummerbund and how much does AF mess dress cost...typically.   I know most Army O's sit around a grand.   Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

cheers,

PV

There is a CIC (Air) cumberbund, my understanding of it is that only air ops wear the tartan, other branches (EME, Log, CE, etc) have their own cumberbund even though they wear the Air Force DEU. IE, have a look at your cap badge and if it doesn't say "per ardua ad astra" then you're not air ops. Though that said, I've seen all kinds of people wearing it so I don't think anyone really cares.

I paid $500 for my mess kit, Andrei's in Kingston Ontario.

The link is on the DIN - you may need to actually look just for the Dress Regs online if it isn't working or see if there's a hard copy lying around at work.

Good Luck.

MM

That was some of the clarification i was looking for.  Thanks Inch.  Any other info would be helpful.

MM, i think i can probably track down the dress regs on the web somwhere, thanks for your help.

cheers gentleman,

PV

Question on mess kit.  Finally broke down and bought a set of mess dress.  I know that the Regimental/Branch traditions vary on a few of the finer points, but does anyone know what type of tuxedo shirt is worn with the standard CF mess dress pattern?  I know it is a laydown collar, with french cuffs, what I'm specifically wondering is whether it is pleats or no pleats (the folds in front of some tuxedo shirts)?  ???

Any help appreciated ..... Cheers .... and have a Happy Canada Day  :cdn:

Most regiments/corps go with the pleated front. Full collar or wingtip collar should be specified in the applicable regimental/corps standing orders. It is, however, one area where you will find individual variances (selection of shirt collar, cufflinks and button studs, watchchain on waistcoat ....).. 

Thanks very much RCR.

That is what I thought, but it is always good to hear it from another.  I'm in a 'purple' trade, and while there are plenty of traditions upheld, it can be a hodge podge at times.

Regards .... vvv ...

When I was in the CF, I had a CF Navy 'issue' white long sleeve shirt, and I still use that shirt here with my Aussie Mess Kit. Just got to bleach it every so often, as its seen a few too many mess dinners. Still   crsip and sharp as ever though.

As for Mess Kit here in Australia, its issued, so you don't have to buy it like in Canada. I wonder if it will ever be on the issue scale for SNCOs WOs and Officers?

Issue as fol:

- trousers w/suspenders - black w/red stripe (suspenders are white)
- tunic - white
- shirt - white
- bow tie - black
- cumberbun - different colours = different corps - example red RAAOC, navy blue RAEME
- corps and army embellishments - collar dogs, shoulder titles, etc

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks Wesley,

I don't think we'll see issued Mess Dress anytime soon in the CF.   I'm still a little surprised that officers can be forced to purchase it, since it is not issued - hmmmm - maybe that is why the ADF issues it, at least for the officers, because in today's age they can't be made to purchase it.   Whatever the reason it's a good deal.

Hope you are enjoying your time in Oz.   I've served with mbrs of 7 Sigs Regt (EW) who were on exchange in Canada, and I've visited their unit in Toowoomba - when travelling on leave a few years ago.   It was quite a good time.   If you are ever up near Adelaide River (a bit out of the way I know) there is a Canadian Lieutentant buried in the Commonwealth War Cemetery there.   He was serving with about 291 other Canadians near Darwin during WWII, as part of No.1 Canadian Special Wireless Group (nowadays we call it Signals Intelligence), when he died of a tropical disease.

Cheers .... and have a happy Canada Day ... one thing I've learned from the Aussies is that they are never ones to shy away from patriotic pride, and I'm sure they understand your love for all things with a Maple Leaf   :cdn:

To celebrate Canada Day, tomorrow morning its pancakes ( and bacon) with genine Canadian maple syrup (Camps), plus I have a Molson's Canadian Tshirt for tomorrow too.

Seems I have a pic of that grave in the NT, taken by some friends who pased thru back in 96 while on duty. Sadly even now there is plenty of tropical bugs which still can be picked up easily.

I passed thru Toowoomba in April, also thru Roma, Charleville, ending up in Winton some 20 hrs later, but that is another story.

Cold beers,

Wes

My mess kit shirt has a white front, white collar, and white cuffs.  Of course the sleeves and the back panel are made of completely different materials with some funky pattern.  Unfortunately the neck is getting a little too small and I will be forced to find some new, extreme patterns when I have to get a new shirt.

Back