• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MilCOTS GMC Silverado (Iltis replacement for the PRes)

Unless I am mistaken, the G-Wagon is replacing the Iltis. The only vehicles being replaced by the Silverado are MP jeeps and Line cable layers. Initially only the reserves were supposed to get them, but the rumor is that regular force units will also receive the new trucks.

Did something change recently? I‘m pretty sure lineswine and meatheads aren‘t generally involved in alot of recces except in the case of a battallion or brigade CP.

The question of course becomes, why didn‘t they simply buy new Iltises (Iltisi?)?

- Proven effective vehicle.
- Compatibility with existing spare parts.

Probably because they are too small. Try fitting a bn CO, his driver, all their kit and then throw in a couple of radios. The thing gets pretty cramped. Iknow, Iknow, the CP is usually a LAV nowadays, but, the bosses like to move around the lines seeing the boys. In 1R22R the Cmdt had both available when we went out.

Well, what about Land Rovers? Another proven vehicle.

Re: Why we need humvs.
try that thread . it may bring some of these arguments to a new point of veiw

Originally posted by Staff:
[qb] Probably because they are too small. Try fitting a bn CO, his driver, all their kit and then throw in a couple of radios. The thing gets pretty cramped. Iknow, Iknow, the CP is usually a LAV nowadays, but, the bosses like to move around the lines seeing the boys. In 1R22R the Cmdt had both available when we went out. [/qb]
My job on exercise is usually to drive the OC of my reserve unit; the CSM and 2 i/c also go out in the Iltis very often; with four people inside there is no room for rucksacks and barely enough for webbing and personal small packs, so we fit the trailer on for the radios, water, stove, fuel, rucksacks etc.; plus whatever other goodies the CSM likes (ground plane antenna kit, for example). I‘m rather excited about having a Silverado to drive around in; no more screwing with frozen trailer tarps, or backing up in the dark with the trailer on, or hanging the tiny little Iltis up in a ditch (or finding the elusive friction point on the standard transmission which is different on every Iltis), etc. etc. etc.

The LUVW/Iltis replacement program has two parts. The first is the MILCOTS vehicle. This is the Milverado that will replace, if I‘m not mistaken, all reserve Iltis except the recce. It will probably not be a one for one exchange. The reason for this vehicle is maintence. They can be maintained at GM/Chev dealerships across the country. Initially, they were a reserve vehicle only. Of course that will/has changed.
The second vehicle is the SMP (Mercedes) This is designed to replace all Iltis in the regular force, and reserve recce units, once again, not an a one for one basis.

Has anybody heard why the silverado is not supposed to be deployable on operations? We drove the 5/4s everywhere. If they are doing up the frame and suspension the same, it would not make any sense to use the truck solely domestically.

Maybe the service department of the GM dealership in Kabul can‘t handle the large influx. :dontpanic:

The main reason we won‘t be getting hummers comes down to politics. Replacement parts and sevice contracts would certainly come from south of the border. The needs of the forces are secondary, or even less, when compared with the political damage caused by not buying products built in Canada.All those members whose ridings include defense contractors would have a tough time explaing that political fumble to wealthy political contributors. Remember the Gulf war when the Americans offered the CF MI Abrams tanks and Bradley fighting veh for a dollar each? The catch was service contracts. If It‘s not manufactured in Que forget it. I would love to see a Canadian designed and manufacturd veh. It would be possible with funding and who knows maybe other countries would be interested in purchasing. The US Marines adopted our CADPAD!

wait.... your saying we could have got M1s and bradleys? .... are those pieces so expensive?
Loepards and Iltis pieces are free or what? Having M1s and hummvs in the CF would have been the best thing... :mad:

Obviously some of you Reservists don‘t know the purpose of the Silverado. It is supposed to be an Adm veh for you to conduct your daily ADM tasks, not go to the field for use as an AFV. The Regt‘s that are currently using the Iltis for Armd Recce will be getting the LUVW recce version for it‘s intended purpose.

I laugh at this forum sometimes because of the uninformed B.S. that comes out of some people, if you don‘t know what you are talking about then don‘t B.S. the people who know. I spent 2 yrs in Armoured School Standards if you want to refute me, and I am currently in Training Sqn.

P.S. I have been at the school for 7 yrs and am fully versed on this subject.

StratO
Hey, I know who you are! HAHA. Don‘t forget the Leos. I know one of our Cpls, his FiL works for Graf. It was the Germans that were more in the price range for us. In Nov 90, he brought one of the Leo2s to Petawawa. They offered a Regt of tanks+ parts to start. For their soldiers could not leave Germany, under their old constitution.
For the Leo 2 is the only untried tank. :evil: :tank:

Hey, let‘s not forget that some of the reserve recce units are testing the Bombardier 4-wheeler ATV.

Who knows, may be you‘ll be driving your OC around on that thing -- just think of all the fun you two can have. Meow!

Test nothing... I saw dozens of those ATV‘s this summer on the Milcon.

Actually, would‘ve made boosting back to the admin area for pop & chips, from 32CIB‘s lines, a lot friggin easier.

From StratO
"Obviously some of you Reservists don‘t know the purpose of the Silverado. It is supposed to be an Adm veh for you to conduct your daily ADM tasks, not go to the field for use as an AFV. The Regt‘s that are currently using the Iltis for Armd Recce will be getting the LUVW recce version for it‘s intended purpose."
We hear that they are not a one for one replacement. If they take 19 Iltis and replace them with 8 or 9 LUVW and a like number of Milcots, then we have no choice unless we stagger the training and have only 1 troop traing at a time.

I am looking for some pictures of said milverado. If anyone has some, please let me know! Thanx.

Ok, here is the conspiracy theory of the day:
I just visited that above-named site to check out the G-Wagen. I noted that Magna-Steyr was acquired in 1998 by Magna International. The CEO of Magna International is Belinda STRONACH. One of the first projects frozen by Paul Martin when he took power is procurement of the G-Wagen. Belinda STRONACH is poised to be competition for Martin, although it remains to be seen how much of a threat. Now, I realize she announced her intention to run for office well after the PM froze the deal, but I don‘t believe in coincidences................

Back