• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Inspired Logo for the Winnipeg Jets

CDN Aviator said:
The Canadian flag has a better chance of wining the Stanley cup.

Hey hey hey! The Leafs will win the Cup in my life time... And then the world will end, as the Leafs winning the Cup is the first sign of the coming apocalypse.

rasputin said:
Further to the above, if you look at the Canadian Intellectual Property Office, their description gives them the trade mark to the maple leaf imagery:

VIENNA INFORMATION:
Code Description
5.3.4 Vine leaves (except 5.3.19), plane leaves, maple leaves
5.3.14 One leaf
5.3.50 11-pointed Canadian maple leaf (leaves)

I don't know enough of the legalese but I would wager that's why Winnipeg asked permission.

Which begs these questions:

How much the government pay the Leafs to get permission to include it on the national flag?
How much does Hockey Canada pay the Leafs to use the leaf on the Men's, Ladies, Juniors, Under-18 sweaters?  Let alone the Olympic teams.

Hockey Canada and the Government of Canada are not corporate members of the National Hockey League.

Simian Turner said:
Which begs these questions:

How much the government pay the Leafs to get permission to include it on the national flag?
How much does Hockey Canada pay the Leafs to use the leaf on the Men's, Ladies, Juniors, Under-18 sweaters?  Let alone the Olympic teams.

I would hazard a guess that the Maple Leafs hold the trademark within the NHL, and not beyond.

Another coming out swinging against the new logo. John K Sampson, lead singer of Winnipeg rock band The Weakerthans wrote an article for a paper I have never heard of until now.

http://www.thewinnipegreview.com/wp/

Source: The Winnipeg Review

JesseWZ said:
Another coming out swinging against the new logo. John K Sampson, lead singer of Winnipeg rock band The Weakerthans wrote an article for a paper I have never heard of until now.

http://www.thewinnipegreview.com/wp/

Source: The Winnipeg Review
The Weakerthans also recorded a song entitled "I Hate Winnipeg".

My question to John K Sampson is if you hate Winnipeg, why not move?

Rheostatic said:
Hockey Canada and the Government of Canada are not corporate members of the National Hockey League.

My comments were in jest but nice try with your responses:

The 13 trademarks involving the Toronto Maple Leafs are not specific to "NHL" but include all use in Canada. 
http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/cntnBscSrch.do;jsessionid=0001yM_mcd8nHNrMJeNfckHkOCR:TO5ETAH8K?textField1=toronto+maple+leafs&selectField1=tmlookup_ext&useblg=bscSrch.do%3Flang%3Deng&languageDirection=f&lang=eng

Many of the trademarks state: 
Services (1) Providing of entertainment and promotion of athletics through the medium of hockey games (at least one also includes lacrosse).

Most importantly the original trademark was for the attached design which dates back to 1927.  The other trademarks refer to either white or blue leaves and not red like the logo in discussion.

An important notation in at least one of the trademarks is:

DISCLAIMER TEXT:
The right to the exclusive use of the representation of the Maple Leaf and the word TORONTO is disclaimed apart from the trade-mark.

Simian Turner said:
My comments were in jest but nice try with your responses:

The 13 trademarks involving the Toronto Maple Leafs are not specific to "NHL" but include all use in Canada. 
http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/cntnBscSrch.do;jsessionid=0001yM_mcd8nHNrMJeNfckHkOCR:TO5ETAH8K?textField1=toronto+maple+leafs&selectField1=tmlookup_ext&useblg=bscSrch.do%3Flang%3Deng&languageDirection=f&lang=eng

Many of the trademarks state: 
Services (1) Providing of entertainment and promotion of athletics through the medium of hockey games (at least one also includes lacrosse).

Most importantly the original trademark was for the attached design which dates back to 1927.  The other trademarks refer to either white or blue leaves and not red like the logo in discussion.

An important notation in at least one of the trademarks is:

DISCLAIMER TEXT:
The right to the exclusive use of the representation of the Maple Leaf and the word TORONTO is disclaimed apart from the trade-mark.

Yup.  It does get into colours and such, which is why it may have been token asking of permission...not really sure.  Suffice to say though, one can easily see why they asked, especially given they are undoubtedly using the symbol with an eye to profiting by appealing to patriotism.

Jim Seggie said:
The Weakerthans also recorded a song entitled "I Hate Winnipeg".

My question to John K Sampson is if you hate Winnipeg, why not move?

I view "I Hate Winnipeg" as more of an anguished love cry for someone's hometown...the way we all make light fun of where we grew up and its subtleties that you have to gain knowledge of only by spending loads of time there. I find the song light hearted and humorous...and I am a big fan of the Weakerthans.

For the record, I don't think The Guess Who sucked, either. But written by a Winnipegger it made me laugh pretty hard.

CDN Aviator said:
No, i'm pretty sure i hate the Leafs.

To each his own.  ;)

The more I think about it, I can't think of another NHL team that so frequently represents the military.  They are named after a regiment, in large part and parcel due to their principal founding father who  served in both World Wars, even organizing his own artillery battery in the Second World War.  He was very adamant about having his players serve in the military during the wars.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs sent more players to war than any other team.  To this day, every season is opened with the Highland Regiment playing Canada's unofficial first anthem, The Maple Leaf Forever.  This Canada Day both Luke Schenn and Brian Burke spent time in Afghanistan.  I believe Burke was the only NHL front office guy there (he actually skipped what is probably the biggest day of his professional year, the first day of free agency).

All jesting aside, I'm glad they think of the military as often as possible.

To add to the above post.
"Leafs Honour Canadian Forces":
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=553520

From here:

Jets unveil official new jerseys
The long-awaited Winnipeg Jets jerseys were unveiled this morning at 17 Wing Winnipeg, the local Canadian Air Force personnel base.

At an outdoor press conference on the tarmac next to Hangar 10, Jets players and their new colours came ambling out of the back hatch of a Canadian Forces Hercules aircraft.

20110906_JET2_14892811.jpg

Jim Seggie said:
Me too. I do like that jersey, it grows on you.

You're not thinking of going over to the medium dark blue side are you, Jim?  >:D

jollyjacktar said:
You're not thinking of going over to the medium dark blue side are you, Jim?  >:D

Nope. If I have a Jets jersey it will be in DEU Green  ;)

A little late to the party, but it looks like Jets swag is pretty popular outside of Winnipeg too!  :cdn:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/08/12/calgary-jets-gear.html

My supplementary question to the column's opening line:  if pacifists are so against the LOGO, why aren't more of them protesting outside NHL venues about what some fans consider way too much gratuitous violence in the game?
Can a pacifist cheer for the Jets?  That's the question posed by a friend on Facebook, following the unveiling of the new Jets logo.  For him, it's a dilemma. He's glad the team is back, but asks: "Fighter planes for a team logo? What's wrong with this picture?"  What's wrong for him is how the team adopted the silhouetted CF-18 Hornet on top of a stylized red maple leaf and air force roundel for its logo.  He's not the only one who feels that way ....
Winnipeg Free Press, 1 Oct 11

Back