• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military to test uniforms that change colour

Y

Yard Ape

Military to test uniforms that change colour
By GRAEME SMITH
From Monday‘s Globe and Mail

Canadian military scientists plan to develop camouflage technology that would allow soldiers to change their appearances like chameleons.

Bidding on the $100,000 research project opened last week, two months after Canadian soldiers suffered international embarrassment for wearing dark green uniforms on Afghanistan‘s dusty battlefields.

The new outfits exist only in researchers‘ imaginations, said Paul Saville, a scientist at the Defence Research Establishment‘s Atlantic division.

But if the 12-month study produces promising results and the government pays for more research, Dr. Saville estimated that a soldier could be wearing a prototype chameleon suit in three to five years.

"The press has been full recently with stories about our troops being sent off to Afghanistan with forest camouflage into a desert environment," Dr. Saville said, "but if [soldiers] could push a switch and have their gear automatically adapt to their surroundings, they wouldn‘t have to worry."

The United States has been pursuing the same goal for at least two years and with vastly more resources. Last week, the U.S. military announced a five-year, $50-million (U.S.) grant to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for development of high-tech battle garb, which includes improved camouflage.

The tacticians‘ dream of making soldiers nearly invisible has grown increasingly possible in recent years with improved liquid-crystal and electrochromic devices.

Originally developed for computer screens, both technologies use electricity to alter the molecules in a display.

A built-in sensor in a soldier‘s uniform, a tank‘s armour or a plane‘s fuselage could take visual cues from its environment and signal a shift in colour and texture to match it. A simpler version of the technology would allow troops to choose manually among many camouflage patterns, instantly switching from forest green to desert brown, for example.

Canadian forces personnel wear camouflage with just four colours: dark green, light green, brown and black. They customize their appearance with paint, blankets and makeshift cloth accessories.

In contrast to some other military projects, Dr. Saville said, Canada has been forced to work alone on camouflage technology because the United States won‘t share its research.

One challenge facing scientists is the necessity of a new uniform to present detailed images from all angles. Most liquid-crystal displays can be seen only from a relatively narrow viewing position.

It is also difficult to make such sophisticated technology ready for the battlefield, said Stuart Cogan, vice-president of EIC Laboratories Inc., a Massachusetts-based company researching electrochromic camouflage for the U.S. military.

"There are a number of groups in the U.S. already working on this," Dr. Cogan said. "But they‘re envisioning systems that are still well beyond our level now."

The electronic displays must survive a daunting list of conditions in the military, Dr. Cogan said, including shock, wear, wind, water, oil, heat and cold. They also need to be flexible and lightweight.

"People have been making variable-colour devices for decades, but it‘s only now that we‘re ready for this," Dr. Cogan said.

I can see this technology failing miserably.

Camoflauge that changes colour depending on your environment would be ok, I suppose, if it worked right and wasn‘t a mindless automatic thing.

Could you image hiding in the jungle or something, but one of the sensors picks up on a brightly coloured leaf next to you, then whammo, your whole suit turns blaze yellow? Or worse, the suit changes so often it looks like you are a light bulb going on and off?

Apparently the Pentagon did a little preliminary investigation into a fatal friendly fire incident back in Nov or Dec last year, and have so far found evidence that a dead battery in a GPS device may have caused special forces troops to accidentally target themselves with a SatNav munition dropped from an overhead aircraft.

Apparently, then the battery was replaced, the GPS reset the waypoint to the device‘s current location, instead of the location of the target. The troops didn‘t notice this minor detail (probably too busy shooting at something about to kill them) and pressed the "SEND" button anyway. Then .. boom... dead friendlies.

Sometimes technology works TOO well.

Reminds me of the news that I heard not to long ago. The Americans are developing a special climate controled suit that can purify water and stuff from alomost anything. Even Urine!

Assuming a set of combats at a surplus store costs bout $50, the money spent on this sci-fi project will buy 2000 pairs of desert combats. Seems a little early to start planning for the next generation when we ca‘t get the current one right.

lol, they guys in ottawa just find more and more creative ways to spend money other that trying to outfit our guys with new stuff.

Still waiting here in LFAA to get outfitted with the CADPATS.

In regards to even more uniform nonsense, heres something a little more practical:

http://www.dnd.ca/menu/maple/vol_5/vol5_11/vol5_11army.pdf

I‘m wondering how many millions of dollars will be spent, that could have gone elsewhere, before the DND decides to abandon the project, due to non-viability! Considering how long it took to develop CADPAT, and will now take the same amount of time just to adequately distribute it, one can just imagine how the supply scenario will work out for this "chameleon" cloth, or "Chamcam" :rolleyes:
I say get existing equipment ironed out, before you move on to new costly ventures!

It‘s OK to work on research for future eqpt, but at this stage it should be low priority... now what really ticks me is, they got the "chicken cannon" crew all dressed up in CADPAT when half the Army is still without it... kinda makes me wonder where the priorities are. :cdn:

Here we go again reinventing the military wheel. When will the boneheads in NDHQ get it through their pumpkins that we just are not big enough to make it work, or sell it on the world stage. We own the CADPAT patent, why not get a couple of known manufacturers, provide them with material, make a couple of samples, let the troops trial it and buy it, OFF THE SHELF.

The Finns are a good example of a military that procures on the open market and ALWAYS gets a bang for their bucks, err Markaa‘s.

Lets see, the frigate program, the ADATS/Sky Guard-005, etc, all Canadian manufactured, oh right, none sold on the open market.

So instead of wasting more money, why not buy off the shelf. The US Marines are about too go ahead with MARPAT, we got lucky, but let’s be realistic. Does the end solution support the costs for R&I.

PS, anyone want too buy an Iltis :cool: .

Back