• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Missed the rotp application and thinking of joining the reserves for now.

Rorschach97

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Right now I find myself in an unusual situation. I was an immigrant who just received my citizenship about a month ago. One of the requirements of applying for rotp is to be a Canadian citizen but at the time, I wasn't one yet. Long story short, I graduated high school and I now have a year to do anything. Having no experience with the military, I've been checking out the reserves. My question is, is it a good idea to try and join the reserves? If so, should I apply for the reserves first then apply for rotp when it's time to do so or just get rotp application out of the way? I appreciate for every response from you all. Thank you.

Good day  Rorschach97,

A career in the CAF regular force or reserve force is a rewarding career and both full time and part time service has their positives and negatives. I suggest that you read through the information available on this site from previously asked questions and our recruiting website (http://www.forces.ca/) to assist you in making an informative decision on how you wish to start your career in the CAF.

As non-recruiters are not allowed to post in this sub-form with their two cents I will move your question to an open form so you may have the the input of others and their experiences.

The choice of how you want to begin your career is yours to make.

I've read somewhere that going to reserves while waiting to get into the regular force is a big no no. They pay your training to go to reserves then a year or two later you want to go to regular in which they'll spend money again to train you. In addition, they also put you last on the list compared to the non experienced recruits and will only take you if they are short of applicants. Of course, if you're applying for a trade like Int Op then you're time on the reserves will be of use to you.

Back