• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

More Noise about Kit...

portcullisguy

Inactive
Reaction score
Speaking to a friend last week who was, until recently, a Sgt. in the reserves somewhere near Toronto...

He tells me that at some point I will want to invest in a second canteen, and that this is considered mandatory for field ex‘s. He also said to get one of those nifty U.S. 2-quart canteens, and possibly even a Goretex single bivvy shelter, and miles and miles of para cord and tape.

I can see the sense in the para cord and tape, and well, sure it‘d be nice to sleep dry, but is that realistic? Certainly during basic they wouldn‘t allow it, but the bivvy and big canteen sounds like extra crap to carry around in any event.

Any one here have any other suggestions on extra kit to acquire? Or opinions on the extra kit I‘ve mentioned?

I don‘t think I can FIT another canteen on my web belt anyway, as I‘m pretty skinny. Barely enough room for the junk that‘s on there.

If I remember correctly, you are going infantry, right? Well, being RECCE I can‘t say much for what you will require as my Infantry skills are limited. But, water is important, especially in hot weather, we all know that though. You can‘t very well lug a full Jerry on your back, so if you can find the room to cram a second canteen somewere, I would, because I do not know your methods of resupply. For us, replens are not that much of an issue as we are more mobile and can carry more. If it fits, it comes along for the ride!

The Bivvy bag must have been one of the best inventions to be brought into the CF, in my oppinion anyway. Yes it‘s extra weight, but you don‘t even need a hooch with one of these puppies.

Para cord and tape? Hmmm. I can see us using them to tie on and stick on all the parts that fly off the Iltis as your bombing cross country, that‘s about it.

You may hear people rave about ranger blankets. I have not found them to affective yet. The personal cam net (camo table cloth) I have still to find a purpose for as well, other than windshields in a hide.

I was issued a US 2-quart canteen and also a goretex bivvy bag that you put your sleeping bag into when sleeping. That was just my unit, but some others also got them including people from the Windsor Military Band! I am on leave right now from the SQ course at Meaford (I finished the BMQ earlier in July).

Myself I invested in a 3L Camelbak(OD), best piece of kit I have to date! For extra water in lieu of a 2qt canteen, get those 1-2L Nalgene bottles; very durable, and they don‘t give the water that "canteen" taste to it!
The g-tex bivy bag w/ a ranger blanket &/or light fleece liner will keep you comfy even in cool temps, unless it gets below 5C, then I bring a sleeping bag. There will be alot of kit you‘ll come across, that will make life in the filed comfy, however how practical-expensive is it?
The cadpat personal cam sheet I‘m turning into a rucksack cam cover(only thing that makes it useful).

Argyll... had everything gone a bit more organized for me, I might‘ve been there with you! I was set to go on BMQ in July, but needed a letter from the Reg for my employer, there were problems getting that arranged.

Looks like the weekend courses in the fall, for me... assuming they don‘t cancel them again!

Back