• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mountain Operations Course

I agree completely. I learned a shit load on my BMO course. You do not need a BMO course to operate in a mountainous environment. It helps but it is not essential. The role of the BMO is to assist the AMO in setting up installations (i.e. rope brigdes, vertical hauling lines, zip lines, and rappel lanes). It is also the bmo's job to check over troops/equipment before they are sent over the installation. It is a very infantry specific skill set, as generally at least the AMO's will be recce qualified. They are generally used as a battalion asset. I.E. sent out in small teams to recce the routes and set up the installations neccassary to move bodies of troops over them. It helps if all of those troops moving are mountain qualified however it doesnt take a genious to walk over a 3 rope bridge.

What do you think of BMO/AMO being an Engineer task?

Not exclusively, but attached Engineers performing that function for the Infanteers.

Good idea, bad idea, indifferent?

sdimock: Since it seems like the Engineers are taking over a lot of tasks that were previously occupied by the Pioneers, I think it would make a lot of sense to offer the BMO course to engineers.

its an idea the amo / bmo isnt strictly infantry if theres a need for you to be able to do this you would be put on the course normmally trhe enginreers are swamped with their trade specific  courses it gets tossed to the other real trade on the ground  . ive been on the recce courses where its a mix with the engineers and infantry with one arty member also tossed into the mix

In my experience - the engineers are so ridiculously over - tasked that they barely get their existing tasks done! (but they do)

Yet another qual for the chimos at the expense of the infantry is not a good idea.

Once you lose the budget and instructors for stuff like that - it is gone forever, just like the pioneers and indirect MG fire.

I'm wondering since bridging is out of the 3s, if it's someones grand plan to have the basic engineer be the equivalent of the old pioneer and just attach a couple to each section.

Chimo

I certainly hope not and the engineers here will most likely agree.  I'd love to have them all the time, but to me it's a monumental misuse of the engineers to solely employ them in that fashion.

Back