• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MPs call for Ottawa to cancel military rent hike

MPs call for Ottawa to cancel military rent hike

Military ombudsman calls planned increase “tone deaf,” refutes claim by defence minister that military homelessness reports are false.

Published Feb 9, 2024 at 12:00am

Teresa Wright

Members of Parliament from all four major political parties in Ottawa are calling on the government to cancel an upcoming rent increase for military personnel living in National Defence accommodations.

On April 1, rents for Forces members living in DND housing will increase by a national average of 4.2 per cent., based on an annual consumer price index (CPI) adjustment calculation.

Because CPI percentages vary in different provinces, the upcoming increase may be even higher in some parts of the country.

Canada’s military ombudsman, Gregory Lick, called the rent hike “tone deaf” at a time the Canadian Armed Forces has been struggling to recruit and retain personnel and when costs of living for all Canadians have been soaring.

“I think it’s a bit tone deaf right now, in terms of what we’re seeing across Canada, for all families, being able to afford housing,” Lick told MPs at the Commons national defence committee this week.

“Military families and members are disadvantaged because they have to move more often and… rarely do they have that choice. Therefore, they have to go into a community, find housing and it may not be available, and then they get pushed into sometimes not safe housing, sometimes unaffordable housing, not accessible housing for families with special needs or disabilities in the family.”

Following Lick’s testimony, Conservative defence critic James Bezan tabled a motion Wednesday calling for the rental increase for CAF housing to be cancelled immediately.

It passed unanimously with support from all MPs on the committee, including the Liberal parliamentary secretary for the defence minister, Marie-France Lalonde, as well as members of the Liberal, NDP and Bloc Quebecois parties.

The government has not yet responded to the committee’s motion.

The move comes amid rising concerns about housing for CAF members, including reports of some active duty Armed Forces personnel in Nova Scotia living in precarious situations due to a lack of available or affordable housing.

Representatives from the Royal Canadian Legion, the Halifax & Region Military Family Resource Centre and Halifax Regional Municipality told a provincial legislative committee in Nova Scotia December there were active-duty members living in tents, living in vehicles, couchsurfing and remaining in unsafe relationships to secure housing.

Defence Minister Bill Blair called these reports “false” in the House of Commons last week, pointing to a wellness check completed by the Department of National Defence following news coverage of the testimony. The wellness check determined no CAF members in the Maritimes had reported they were homeless or living in precarious situations, Blair said.

When questioned about these conflicting reports this week, Lick, the military ombudsman, told MPs he has indeed heard from military personnel across the country struggling with homelessness and precarious housing.

“What I am hearing is that there are some members who at different points in time have been or are homeless,” Lick said.

“They are living in RVs, they are couchsurfing. In some cases, one dependent told me that they were homeless for five months now.”

Asked by Bezan whether Blair’s characterization of the reports of military homelessness was “false or misleading at best,” Lick agreed.

“I think so, absolutely,” he said.

A wellness check may not be the best tool to determine whether Forces members are experiencing a crisis, Lick said, as it would require them to voluntarily disclose information that might cause embarrassment or possibly have career implications.

“I think simply relying on a wellness check is not the right thing to do solely,” Lick told the committee.

“You have to rely on all your various sources of information, including our organization as well, which talks to members, talks families – they have the opportunity to tell us various things that they may be too embarrassed or are afraid to be able to tell their leadership.”

While leaders on bases are working hard to support their members, they do not have the resources to help with all the mounting pressures of rising costs of living on military families, Lick added.

Wait lists for military housing have increased significantly, including a 177 per cent increase in Bagotville and a 261 per cent increase in Edmonton so far this year. In Esquimalt, Halifax, and Trenton, there are almost as many members and their families on the waitlist for military housing than there are total units, he said.

For those fortunate to get a military housing unit, Lick said he has received reports and photos of “absolutely horrid” deterioration in some units, including mould on walls, broken fixtures and heating problems.

That’s why the ombudsman is calling for the federal government to create an accommodations strategy for the military, who he says face disproportionate negative impacts of the nationwide housing crisis due to requirements for them to relocate, sometimes with little notice.

He called the harsh realities facing housing for Armed Forces members a “tragic situation,” noting that the No. 1 reason people are leaving the Canadian Armed Forces is due to military family issues, including housing and cost-of-living pressures, Lick said.

“No CAF members nor their families should ever have to worry about putting a roof over their heads or to wonder where their next meal is coming from,” he told MPs.

“This is a basic need and should not become a stressor and impede CAF members’ ability to keep Canadians safe.”

DND suspends contracts with ArriveCan contractor after learning CEO is a DND employee
Not new. He testified at the Committee before Christmas about this. He is also the check mark for Arrive Scam for Indigenous contribution.

Anecdotal. I know of one that lived out of the QM where he worked on class b. Wasn’t at an armouries though. Fire marshal i believe discovered it and he was kicked out. Another was clearly mental health related. Lived in low income public housing and borderline homeless.

But I think you are correct, most reservists have other things to support them. A good chunk are students and a good chunk still live with their parents.
I knew a guy who worked class B who secretly lived in the mess for a month. Never got caught. He had just been kicked out because of a break up.

This was also long before the housing crisis.

I knew a guy who worked class B who secretly lived in the mess for a month. Never got caught. He had just been kicked out because of a break up.

This was also long before the housing crisis.

I worked a unit that maintained 2 single rooms in one of their buildings for members to use when the got kicked out by the missus, or other reasons. Yup that's how common it was at that unit.

It wasn't uncommon for me to come it at 0600 and see folks sleeping on the couches as well.

FYI my two years at that unit were probably two of the three worst in my career.

Anecdotal. I know of one that lived out of the QM where he worked on class b. Wasn’t at an armouries though.
Also anecdotal — I heard the urban legend of a Regular Force Captain posted to the GTA on RSS who openly lived in his office in the armoury for the duration of the posting. That’s certainly a creative way to beat the cost of living crisis.

Be curious to see how he actually broke the contracting rules; there are plenty of companies that only exist to do the GoC RFP/paperwork as defence resellers and tack on 10% for parts because OEMs don't want to touch our bids or jump through the process hoops.

I think they are just annoyed that someone played the stupid system they built, but I also don't see how they can actually ban him from bidding on general contracts. The only legal/ethical issue is if he was bidding on projects where he was somehow involved in the requirements side or otherwise had inside knowledge of it. The fun bit here is if he met the contract terms and didn't do anything wrong, we are now probably liable for the payout of the profit.

Guessing this will probably mean yet another bullshit form for bidders and hoops for us to jump through to buy stuff on 10s of thousands of procurement because some BGHs were embarrassed, instead of actually just burning out the red tape to make it more feasible for a lot of legitimate companies to bid. A lot don't because the time and cost involved to put in a bid is not insignificant, and then there is a lot of reporting bloat that has nothing really to do with their core business, so it adds a lot of inefficiencies that make them uncompetitive for normal commercial work.

I worked a unit that maintained 2 single rooms in one of their buildings for members to use when the got kicked out by the missus, or other reasons. Yup that's how common it was at that unit.

It wasn't uncommon for me to come it at 0600 and see folks sleeping on the couches as well.

FYI my two years at that unit were probably two of the three worst in my career.
We had one RSS staff that for the last 3/4 of his final year in the CAF, moved his family back east and lived in the armoury. Basically used a small cot and barrack box in the back of stores. We also had a functioning kitchen in the building so he was able to cook there and he kept the place clean.

This DND employee found a way to deal with high rent in Ottawa, a second job.

DND suspends contracts with ArriveCan contractor after learning CEO is a DND employee

Anecdotal. I know of one that lived out of the QM where he worked on class b. Wasn’t at an armouries though. Fire marshal i believe discovered it and he was kicked out. Another was clearly mental health related. Lived in low income public housing and borderline homeless.

But I think you are correct, most reservists have other things to support them. A good chunk are students and a good chunk still live with their parents.

Yeah as much as we talk about citizen soldiers brining their skills to the army, half of the guys I was in the reserves with had class a as their only employment. It can be a weird way to exist and slipping through the cracks happens.

Be curious to see how he actually broke the contracting rules; there are plenty of companies that only exist to do the GoC RFP/paperwork as defence resellers and tack on 10% for parts because OEMs don't want to touch our bids or jump through the process hoops.

I think they are just annoyed that someone played the stupid system they built, but I also don't see how they can actually ban him from bidding on general contracts. The only legal/ethical issue is if he was bidding on projects where he was somehow involved in the requirements side or otherwise had inside knowledge of it. The fun bit here is if he met the contract terms and didn't do anything wrong, we are now probably liable for the payout of the profit.

Guessing this will probably mean yet another bullshit form for bidders and hoops for us to jump through to buy stuff on 10s of thousands of procurement because some BGHs were embarrassed, instead of actually just burning out the red tape to make it more feasible for a lot of legitimate companies to bid. A lot don't because the time and cost involved to put in a bid is not insignificant, and then there is a lot of reporting bloat that has nothing really to do with their core business, so it adds a lot of inefficiencies that make them uncompetitive for normal commercial work.
I think the problem could be that he is a government employee bidding on a government contract without identifying as such. I believe the hoops you are referring to are already in place just that he didn't follow them.

I wonder what the statistics on homeless Reservists would be. I'm sure a few people would be surprised of the number I've heard basically living at their armoury at one point or other dispute their chain-of-comands efforts to keep them out.
We had the opposite attitude from our Chain of Command.

We had 2 guys full on living in our armoury for about 2 months. They put them downstairs in a room that was seldom used, they had access to the gym, all the doors were locked minus a side door they used but had a key for - our RSM was a pretty solid dude, as was our CO & co.

The guys had brought their big TV's and GoogleChrome (didn't know what that even was until I saw one plugged into their TV) -- the only downfall to their setup was they spend a lot of money on food, as essentially every meal was via Skip the Dishes

(Our RSM was big into Rugby, and so were the 2 guys...and I think that had something to do with it. Because I didn't realize it at the time, but Rugby players & clubs are RIDICULOUSLY right!)

(Our RSM was big into Rugby, and so were the 2 guys...and I think that had something to do with it. Because I didn't realize it at the time, but Rugby players & clubs are RIDICULOUSLY right!)

Very tight knit.

We find people employment and housing all the time. When I played for the Toronto Nomads they got me work with a demolition company that was connected to the club.

A club member with a construction type company is a huge benefit.

We had 2 guys full on living in our armoury for about 2 months. They put them downstairs in a room that was seldom used, they had access to the gym, all the doors were locked minus a side door they used but had a key for - our RSM was a pretty solid dude, as was our CO & co.
That's a nice gesture but I'd see that similar to someone using an office in the armouries to run their personal business.

I use to work my day job, drive to my unit about hour and half away. Put in 5 hrs work usually unpaid. Crash on the couch in the gun pit, wake up In the morning head out to my civi job amd repeat.
It started out innocently for one or two days a week. Then it turned into 4 days steady then 5. Commuting costs were cutting into my beer drinking fund, not to mention most of my hours at the unit were volunteer hours.

We finally manged to get a few class A days spread over various people.
We secured some rooms at the Camp for nothing else then safety reason. Guys working long days having to commute home afterwards.

It happened and still happens. Back then it wasn't so.much a housing crises as more convenient and safe. Where now it's a necessity for some.

Back