• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mukluks

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Quick (and probably very stupid) question:

What are CF Mukluks supposed to look like?  I had them issued to me a while back, and because I'm going on SERE soon, I finally took them out for a look and they:

a) don't have any liners (felt or mesh)
b) are an inch or so shorter than the duffle sock
c) are black

I've never seen mukluks before (the CF version at least) so any answers would help.  Otherwise, I'll be praying for warm weather!

I think you're looking at boots, rubber clumsy.

Mukluks are white, floppy, and canvas with about 6 loops for a lace about a metre long -- not zippered.

<a href="http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/images/product_images/Can%20MukWt_2.jpg">Muklucks</a>

... and here I thought Mukluks were winter gloves  :-X !

Shamrock said:
I think you're looking at boots, rubber clumsy.

Mukluks are white, floppy, and canvas with about 6 loops for a lace about a metre long -- not zippered.

....Or perhaps he has the Arctic Slippers.  Very light, flexible Black rubber slippers that you wear with Socks Wool Freeze. 

Dimsum,

Trust me. Get yourself some oversized goretex socks. Find a buddy who looks like he has big flippers and try his goretex socks on over your duffle socks and in the mukluks. If you can find a size that fits properly you'll still have to worry about sweat, but at least you're safe from wet snow.  Make sure you bring your spare set of duffle socks too. Rotate daily and set out to dry whenever possible.

Nothing makes me happier then fresh duffle socks. ;D

Wonderbread said:
Trust me. Get yourself some oversized goretex socks. Find a buddy who looks like he has big flippers and try his goretex socks on over your duffle socks and in the mukluks. If you can find a size that fits properly you'll still have to worry about sweat, but at least you're safe from wet snow.  Make sure you bring your spare set of duffle socks too. Rotate daily and set out to dry whenever possible.

Chiming in support of this statement.

In areas of heavy snowfall, regardless of temperature, expect water underneath, especially in the low ground.  Lots of snow puts pressure on the bottom snow, which squeezes it into water, which makes life miserable.  In a pinch, a pair of garbage bags can be passable, but properly fitted gor tex socks can save you a lot of grief.

Thanks for all the input.  So, between Cold Wet Weather Boots and Mukluks, what's better for warm(er) weather that may end up melting the snow?  Should I just leave the mukluks in the bag and go with the CWWBs?

Wonderbread said:
Get yourself some over sized goretex socks. Find a buddy who looks like he has big flippers and try his goretex socks on over your duffle socks and in the mukluks. If you can find a size that fits properly you'll still have to worry about sweat, but at least you're safe from wet snow.  Make sure you bring your spare set of duffle socks too. Rotate daily and set out to dry whenever possible.

I agree, I do this even if I'm just going out to the range for the day.  However, if you are entitled to Gore-tex socks, you shouldn't have to go begging and borrowing from buddies with big flippers.  Just go down to clothing and exchange them for a size 14 set.  Those will do ya unless your feet are actually size 14.  The bigger the better, if you get ones that fit over but are overly tight, you'll actually make your feet colder.  Even better, if your entitled to 2 pair, exchange one for over the duffle socks and the second to fit tight under your combat boots.  That way you can wear magnums in the field and still have dry socks.  ;)  For the love of god leave the CWWB "cripplers" at home, preferably in the trash!  Take your Mk III's or whatever and spare socks.  If its warm enough to melt snow, its warm enough for regular boots.  If your going on SERE I expect that you will be active enough to keep your tootsies warm anyways.

Wonderbread said:
Socks Will Wool Freeze...

- Actually: "Socks, Wool Frieze"

"Mens' Wool Frieze Duffle Sock
Designed to be worn inside Arctic-type boots, this sock is made of white wool frieze, moth proofed duffle cloth. The sock is 30.5 cm (12'') in height and has heels reinforced with white nylon. This sock actually incorporates two socks, one sock inside the other, sewn together around the top. Sizes: 5-14 "
- http://www.raberglove.com/products09.html

" frieze[1,noun]frieze[2,noun] 
Main Entry: 1frieze 
Pronunciation: \ˈfrēz or frē-ˈzā\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English frise, from Anglo-French, from Middle Dutch vriese
Date: 15th century
1 : a heavy durable coarse wool and shoddy fabric with a rough surface
2 : a pile surface of uncut loops or of patterned cut and uncut loops "
-http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/frieze

Dimsum said:
Quick (and probably very stupid) question:

What are CF Mukluks supposed to look like?  I had them issued to me a while back, and because I'm going on SERE soon, I finally took them out for a look and they:

a) don't have any liners (felt or mesh)
b) are an inch or so shorter than the duffle sock
c) are black

I've never seen mukluks before (the CF version at least) so any answers would help.  Otherwise, I'll be praying for warm weather!

What you have are not mukluks. They are the winter flying boot.

I was once issued those. I do not know if I still have them. I fly with the standard white mukluk as they work better in my environment. They will work better on your survival course as well.

You should have the same felt and mesh insoles that are issued for the mukluk as well.

RCR Grunt said:
If your going on SERE I expect that you will be active enough to keep your tootsies warm anyways.

Actually, if it's BSERE there is one Nav Ex, but he'll also be spending a couple of days sitting/standing around starving ...

Ah.  Since I've been issued with the wrong things and didn't know 'til now (tomorrow's the first day of the course), is there time to quickly go to Supply and pick up the kit?

IIRC, you might have a teeny chance first thing (tell the course staff ASAP: they'll be pissed, but that's better than not having the nec. kit) ... once you get on the bus, there's no going back!

Have a great course!

Got back from SERE last week.  The black mukluks (finally got them explained to me that they were "pilot" mukluks, with a strap to keep them on while on ejection seat a/c) worked surprisingly well; I had zero problems with leaking/wet duffle socks, and that was w/o the mesh insole.  Anyone know the difference btwn "pilot" mukluks and the "Arctic slipper", just to satisfy my curiousity?

Arctic Slippers or better known as "Piss Boots" and Pilot Muckluks are one in the same.! Man did you do the Nav Ex in those? You feet were not trashed?

Back