• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My big yap

Lav968

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright guys, an apology is in order.  I posted some comments on this site that generalized and put down the Engineers.  It was wrong.  It was just bitterness and a bad day and a lack of restraint on my part.  I sincerely hope that I did not affect anyones views on 1 CER or any of my fellow Engineers.  If I could take my comments back I would but I hope a sincere apology will in part make up for them.  Sorry guys,
Chimo

So, in other words, you found out how small the Canadian Forces (and the internet) really is....

Actually, the main reason for the apology is the new Sappers in our unit.  These guys have been there only a few weeks and they listen to the bitter guys who have some time in rant and it is almost like they don't have a chance to enjoy their careers from jump.  It is almost fashionable nowadays to be bitter. 

I've also realized that by just bitching aimlessly and not coming up with any solutions I am contributing to the problems I bitch about.  So I have decided that if I have a gripe then I will word it much more diplomatically and also offer what I percieve as a solution, if possible.

I won't make excuses for what I said but I was not told to write an apology or anything like that - I just realized that I screwed up.  Plain and simple.  All I can say now is that I will try to make my posts constructive and that I won't compose anymore posts like I have.

Sapper477 said:
So I have decided that if I have a gripe then I will word it much more diplomatically and also offer what I percieve as a solution, if possible.
With a plan like that, you may fit in well here.  I look forward to seeing your solutions to some of the army's problems.

MCG said:
With a plan like that, you may fit in well here.   I look forward to seeing your solutions to some of the army's problems.

+1

Good on you Sapper477.

There' nothing bad about being bitter about where you work.  Everyone has gripes.  You can't always like where you work or the people you work with.  There is a high L.O.G. out there for a lot of us.  We just have to deal with it or get out.

Sapper,
Glad you got the "bent & twisted" parts out of your system and are prepared to go in for the next round...

Looking for a solution and figuring out the best way to deliver it is something I've done my damndest to accomplish - some skirmishes have been lost but a few victories make me come back again.

Chimo!

If you don't mind my asking, what is the primary source of your angst?  Transformation?  Op/Trg tempo (high or low)?  Personalities?  Location?

No names please, but from your perspective, what needs to be fixed?

MCG, I would say the hardest thing to get over is the Ops tempo.  I really do like being an Engineer.  The job is great.  You get your hands dirty and really feel a sense of accomplishment (in the field atleast).  There is a certain mentality it takes to be a soldier - especially from my perspective, an NCM - and the pride of knowing not everyone can do what we do is something few will truly realize.  RSM Hartford once told me "If its easy, anyone could do it."

That being said, it is getting to the point where guys are being asked - quite literally - to choose the trade over their families.  When guys are away from home for almost a year and then asked to go into the field again it eventually becomes too much.  In my opinion I think this is where a lot of the bitterness comes from.  How is a soldier to make that call?  When he has his hand forced to the point he has to say "No, I cannot go to the field because my wife and kids come first."  I know several guys who have been put in this prediciment and the stress has to be quite overwhelming.  This is only compounded when you factor in the inevitable marriage difficulties extended absence and whatever other variables life seems to throw at you (pregnancies, illnesses, depression, PTSD, etc.)  When you get the "your turning your back on your buddies" speech it only adds to it.

Now here is the tricky part and the part I am just coming to see recently.  Officers and senior NCOs need to put numbers of troops in the field to support ex's, deployments, etc. and courses on top of that because our retention is low.  I understand this.  When they explain this to you it takes the personal aspect of being a combat soldier out of the equation and makes the soldier feel more like a number than a valued asset to the unit and army as a whole. 

How do we get around or overcome this?  Well more soldiers obviously but that is out of our control and I don't think we can just knit up some new ones.  This is an important question that I am posing to our senior leadership out there or indeed to any of our more junior guys of any trade as to what can we do to fix the state we are in.  Does anyone have an short term or long term plans for this?  Is this the way its always been or is this a newer developement?

As for certain people in the regiment I don't see eye to eye with of course.  There are a few I don't like and some I just don't agree with.  That isn't the issue with me though, you get bosses and coworkers everywhere you go that you like/ don't like.

Whew, there is something for ya to chew on guys.  I am certainly looking forward to your suggestions or input.  Chimo

Well I can feel your pain however, the phrase is "If you dont like, you can always find a job somewhere else". The reality is that when I joined the Military, I joined for me, not for my family. My boss decides where I go and what I do, not my family. Perhaps those people who are having problems deciding about whether they should go to the field or spend the time with the family should be shown the door.

My 2 cents

Sapper477 said:
How do we get around or overcome this?   Well more soldiers obviously but that is out of our control and I don't think we can just knit up some new ones.   This is an important question that I am posing to our senior leadership out there or indeed to any of our more junior guys of any trade as to what can we do to fix the state we are in.   Does anyone have an short term or long term plans for this?   Is this the way its always been or is this a newer developement?
I think you've nailed the solution (more soldiers).   Doctrinally our field troops are four sections strong, but for the longest time they have only be established for three sections.   How do you sustain 4 section field troops on operations when they don't exist in Canada (we're even trying to put 5 section field troops overseas).   Fortunately, we have be told that our establishment will grow.   Hopefully it will grow enough to stop the burn out.   Unfortunately, it will not grow soon enough for some.

Sapper477 said:
Actually, the main reason for the apology is the new Sappers in our unit.   These guys have been there only a few weeks and they listen to the bitter guys who have some time in rant and it is almost like they don't have a chance to enjoy their careers from jump.   It is almost fashionable nowadays to be bitter.  

I've also realized that by just bitching aimlessly and not coming up with any solutions I am contributing to the problems I ***** about.   So I have decided that if I have a gripe then I will word it much more diplomatically and also offer what I percieve as a solution, if possible.

I won't make excuses for what I said but I was not told to write an apology or anything like that - I just realized that I screwed up.   Plain and simple.   All I can say now is that I will try to make my posts constructive and that I won't compose anymore posts like I have.

That's exactly what I was getting at in that earlier exchange.  The new Sappers deserve the truth - good and bad and certainly a balance between the two, and Leadership at the very least, from veterans like yourself.  They are like sponges and look up to the senior Cpls/MCpls for guidance.

I agree that the op tempo is brutal for the Engineers, especially for the Cpl-Sgt ranks.  Less so for the officers and Warrant Officers.  As McG has pointed out, the establishments for the CERs have been increased.  The problem is that the Recruiting and Training world can't catch up.  The government's decision to add 5000 new members (3000 to the Army) is taking a long time to realize.  The problems are many, but I think it starts with recruits (or lack of them) walking in to the CFRCs. 

Good to have you on board.  Look forward to hearing more of your comments.

Chimo!

S6.

Good on you Sapper477 for doing the right thing and apologising in this forum. I think your second explanation of the problem is well laid out and thoughtful. I am sure this little event will go down as a lesson learned. I gave you a point for admitting to your error and making amends.

Complaining and pointing out faults is useful in the right place done the right way. I also learned this the hard way. I am a sadder but wiser Sapper now.  :salute:

This is only one man's opinion, but as my dad used to say (and he was ex airforce too!),  if an engineer ain't complaing, he ain't happy!  So I applaud anyone who makes their grief's public!  How else can change happen?

Complaining and having some constructive ideas to solve said problem is the ticket IMHO...

Back