• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

naval reserves or artillery

spock

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the process of applying to be an artillery gunner in the reserves here in the Beautiful British Columbia (15th field regiment), however, I'm still contemplating on whether to join the artillery or the HMCS Discovery.... And I have a question, is it possible to change enviroment in the future (ie: Army to Navy)?

Sure you could transfer from either army or navy to another element.

As for you decision between Artillery and naval reserve, first of all, those two elements are really different. Artillery, I imagine is much more demanding physically and it is a pure army trade. On the other hand, navy is more relaxed and the trades courses are not really demanding. The big difference is do you want to sail on a ship or prefer to hide in the forest :). A lot of naval reservists join this element because it's fairly easy but for most of them they hate to be on a ship, so you have to think about that.

I enjoyed being in the naval reserve and that's why I decided to join the reg force in that element. Some people hate that others like.

cheers

:salute: :cdn:

Then I suppose  for my reserve experience, I'll go with the artilleries, when I want to go Reg Force, then I'll go to the Navy. You don't get to sail much in the Naval Reserve anyways. One of my lifetime ambition has always been to become a naval officer, but I'm looking at a more administrative role when I get to it. Either working as logistic or legal officer, Jag.

Oh, and is the training and requirement for the naval reserves the same as the ones for the army reserve? If not, what's different?

Don't get to sail in  the reserves?  The MCDV's are out all the time...  Hmm...

T

Yeah but I'm not sure if the units in my area gets to sail though (HMCS Discovery is the only naval reserve unit in the greater vancouver area)

Spock, phone up each unit and ask for an opporunity to come to each armoury and find out what they do.  Make an informed decision based on facts not guesswork.  Either unit will be glad to get you and each is a fufilling trade.  Good luck in your choices.

To break down the Naval Reserves a bit for you; there is full-time and part-time reserves.  Part-time parade once a week at each Naval Reserve Divsion or NRD.  This is good if you have a full-time job or are going to school still.  HMCS Discovery is an NRD.  You can also be a full-time reserve and work on a contract from 1 month to 3 years.  During this time, you could be sailing alot on an MCDV as a ship's crew.

Back