• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Weapons Tech

carlos866

Inactive
Reaction score
    Hi there, i just got the call from the recuitment office and i got accepted into Naval Weapons Tech, which honestly, sounds really appealing to me, if there are any NWT's out there, any tips or advice would really be appreciated, I am really curious about what i would expect to be doing on a regular basis, and if i would actually be operating the armament or not.

I appologize in advance if this  has already been posted, i searched for something similar on this site for the better part of the evening to no avail.

Congrats on your call. I am not an NWT but I have seen my fair share of them. Its not too bad, its a long course and they seem to be back logged so you have to wait a while before you can get trained. Other than that... I hope you like playing cards and you may want to do a search on PAT platoon. There may be some interesting info on what you may be doing before your trianing...

NO WORK TODAY!

The NWT's I have worked with on ship are all a bunch of good guys, they have a good "union"!  It is an excellent trade, they do some interesting work, they seem to keep the seats warm in the cave too!  I will tell you this the NWT's on the Vic's work hard and long days IMHO they really earn their pay down there, an excellent trade overall!

But here is the question... As an NWT, with all your training, what can you do with it when you get out?

Union Job at one of the FMF's!!
Electrical and Electronics Technician -  Engineering Technologist and Technician - Electronic Equipment Service Technician
Industrial Instrument Technician and Mechanic - Industrial Electrician - Industrial Mechanic and Construction Millwright
Hydraulic Mechanic - Machine Fitter and Assembly Mechanic - Elevator Constructor and Mechanic - Electrical Mechanic
Gunsmith - Mechanical Installer and Services - Electronic Assembler - Fabricator - Inspector and Tester - Ammunition Worker,
Pneumatic Tool Repairman - Hydraulic Unit Repairman - Construction Equipment Mechanic - Millwright - Monograph

Those are related jobs from the recruiting website!

carlos866 said:
  ....    I am really curious ...  if i would actually be operating the armament or not.    

No, you just keep the weapons functional, and given the variety of high tech systems on a ship (missiles, robotic cannon, etc) it's a challenging job. But someone else actually pushes the button/steps on the pedal to make it go boom (or swish!).

And what is your naval background Roadracer?

'cause don't forget there has to be some key turning in there as well....;) 

Congrates man...Im trying to get into that program too!...I havent been accepted yet and wont know if i am for about 10 days now after 3 months of extra waiting because of a medical thingy. Curious are you taking the memorial marine istitute way or the regular fleet training carlos??... Chances are ill get accepted into NWT or (more likely) NET id be cool to know a couple people before i get up there ::)

Ex-Dragoon said:
... 'cause don't forget there has to be some key turning in there as well....;) 

;D True.

Remember however, one of our ships fired a torpedo within the last 4 years without any human interaction at all!!  :eek: 

Hence the importance of that maintainance.

i'm pretty sure i'll be going into regular fleet training because isn't the marine institute for the officer program? i also noticed that they keep a close eye of the NWT's mental status, because of the fact that i'll be dealing with many types of explosives, so should i expect a series of psychological evaluations? and if anyone would like to add me to msn, it would be really great to know some guys going in, carlo866@hotmail, i was also curious as to how basic training works, is it the same for the army, navy, air force? Or will i be doing something completely different? and also i know that the navy has a slightly different ranking system, ordinary seaman, etc... how would you compare those ranks, with those of the reg force, such as private, and so on,

I'm so excited to go!

carlos866 said:
i'm pretty sure i'll be going into regular fleet training because isn't the marine institute for the officer program? i also noticed that they keep a close eye of the NWT's mental status, because of the fact that i'll be dealing with many types of explosives, so should i expect a series of psychological evaluations? and if anyone would like to add me to msn, it would be really great to know some guys going in, carlo866@hotmail, i was also curious as to how basic training works, is it the same for the army, navy, air force? Or will i be doing something completely different? and also i know that the navy has a slightly different ranking system, ordinary seaman, etc... how would you compare those ranks, with those of the reg force, such as private, and so on,

I'm so excited to go!

If you do a search you will find a lot of the answers to your questions....start reading.

No its non commisioned, not officer...its a diploma program officers need a degree(pretty sure in most cases).

If your going NWT, I hope you realize that you will spend almost 2 years in school, with a couple hours of homework and study per evening.  I went through the mathematics pre-assessment with the NET's and NWT's and about half failed out because of not being able to handle the academics.
  But if you're up for the challenge, go for it!  It will be worth it in the end.
Cheers
Steve :cdn: 

Back