• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navistar awarded 1300 truck contract

NFLD Sapper said:
Some how I doubt we would be getting the A-Frame as a pic of the MND from the news conference shows the trucks with a brush guard on the front. Something like we had on the old Ford and GMC Dump trucks but it does appear that they will have winch's though.

VL2009-0002-06.jpg

This bring up a point that I would like to make. The MSVS MILCOTS seems as though it will be a good addition to meet our needs in Canada. What bugs me though, is that it probably won't have this A frame that is handy to have or a even a winch. 1 in 20 trucks might have a winch. There just never seems to be enough.

I remember when we LUVW MILCOTS were being talked about and there were photos with radio installations and winches being sent around on the MILCOTS. The ones we received didn't have radios and i haven't seen any LUVW MILCOTS with winches.

If the trucks are designed to have them, put them on. Even if it was every second one.

Just a thought.

If this vehicle is intended to replace the MLVW, then it should have a winch.  Not all of em - but a good number of them.

And WRT this A frame you are refering to... do you mean the Brush guard that protects the grill ?  Cause an "A" frame is usually a towing tool.... as in this

geo I think he means the towing A-Frame as seen in the US Models.

I could be wrong but the only ones authorized to use the A-Frames are the EME folks.

As seen in Afghanistan

IMG_0384_low.jpg

In Canada, the A frames would be of limited use... and would be subject to some abuse - given that you are supposed to dissengage the axels when towing....  don't think the EME types would be prepared to surrender responsibility over here.

These trucks aren't supposed to be for use in theatre - so the point about the A frames is somewhat moot... unless someone changes his mind & we get desparate for rolling stock.

Now comes the $10,000 question, do we have the right mounts on the stinger of the Wrecker to pick up these beast?

Dissengage the axels or the drive shaft geo?

uhh... whups... sorry - need to dissengage the driveline / shaft

Interesting looking at the pic of the truck I don't see any slave lines for the air system  :-\

geo said:
In Canada, the A frames would be of limited use... and would be subject to some abuse - given that you are supposed to dissengage the axels when towing....  don't think the EME types would be prepared to surrender responsibility over here.

These trucks aren't supposed to be for use in theatre - so the point about the A frames is somewhat moot... unless someone changes his mind & we get desparate for rolling stock.

Give them to the Artillery and bring back the L5.    >:D

L5 yes... I do remember the L5 packs with 5 RALC - ramps were hung on either side of the cargo box & the winch cable was run up and over, using an a frame - so as to winch the gun into ithe box... only saw a cable part ONCE - when the gun's trail got hung up on the floor and the winch operator wasn't paying attention... nice groove ;)

geo said:
L5 yes... I do remember the L5 packs with 5 RALC - ramps were hung on either side of the cargo box & the winch cable was run up and over, using an a frame - so as to winch the gun into ithe box... only saw a cable part ONCE - when the gun's trail got hung up on the floor and the winch operator wasn't paying attention... nice groove ;)

Why in gods name would you want to put a howtizer in the box of a truck ???

Lol.... yeah - didn't make much sense to me - just figured that all the 5 RALC drivers had failed their test at towing guns.... so the only way to move em around was in the back of a truck.

BTW - even if 105s they were itsy bitsy things... that went to the Airborne Regiment a little later in their service life

NFLD Sapper said:
Why in gods name would you want to put a howtizer in the box of a truck ???

DECEPTION.  Aerial photography easily identified Arty Units on the move by their TOWED pieces.  With the L5 inside, under the tarp, it took a skilled and knowledgeable analyst some expertice to identify a line of Deuce and a Half's with A Frames on their fronts as being Artillery on the move.

AND

The fact that the L5 Wheel bearings didn't allow for long road moves.  They burnt out easily.

geo said:
If this vehicle is intended to replace the MLVW, then it should have a winch.  Not all of em - but a good number of them.

And WRT this A frame you are referring to... do you mean the Brush guard that protects the grill ?  Cause an "A" frame is usually a towing tool.... as in this

Geo-My apologize for not being clear, what i meant regarding the A frames is that i will be surprised if any have them due to DND usually cutting costs. It would be limited quantity on each 5th - 10th truck for qualified pers to use them only. Hope this clarifies the issue.

With your comments above, I would not be surprised if DND cuts the bush guard out alltogether. We will have to wait and see.

TAC MP said:
Geo-My apologize for not being clear, what i meant regarding the A frames is that i will be surprised if any have them due to DND usually cutting costs. It would be limited quantity on each 5th - 10th truck for qualified pers to use them only. Hope this clarifies the issue.

With your comments above, I would not be surprised if DND cuts the bush guard out alltogether. We will have to wait and see.

Bush guard is part of the mandatory requirements.  A-frame and winch were listed as "TBC" in the version of the SOR I saw; no idea how it evolved.

From what I recall on my ML course (completed this week BTW), the instructor, who is a Veh Tech stated that the A-Frames were for recovery only now, and it would be the Veh Techs using them to yank you out of a sticky situation. However, with me not being a mechanic, I wouldn't know what else they use them for. Could be that each unit would get "X" amount of them for this purpose.

Chapeski... So far, In Canada, "A" frames have pert much always been the domain of the Veh Techs & possibly the Transport Section...  Given that we have never really had any experience with them - not getting em (remember - domestic ops vehicle) really shouldn't make any difference.

The driver's tool of choice would be tow chains and tow cables.

Found some pics in the Maple Leaf of the Navistar Truck.

12-05-13a.jpg

Looks like the Flat Rack variant.

12-05-13b.jpg

Cab interior.

Also found what the draft documents for the SMP Fleet.

Draft SMP Technical Specifications
Notice to Potential Bidders

The MSVS SMP project includes the acquisition of the SMP vehicle, comprising cargo, cargo with crane and load handling system variants, an armour protection system, and winch, as well as trailers. The draft technical specifications listed in the table below are published on this site with the intention to solicit industry feedback.

Industry is requested to provide comments using any standard MS Office Suite format referring to the documents listed below. To facilitate the process of making comments, potential bidders should download the draft documents that are available in Microsoft WORD format and include their comments in the applicable column. Comments and questions are to be sent to the following email address: NCR.MSVS@pwgsc.gc.ca

Although comments may be provided to Canada as commercial-in-confidence, Canada reserves the right to use the information submitted to assist in refining the documents for the MSVS SMP project.

Questions sent to the email address above may be answered by Canada should it be deemed appropriate to do so. In such a case, answers will not be sent directly to the originator. Instead, questions and answers will be posted on this website. The identity of the organization seeking clarifications will not be published. Enquiries should be submitted in a form that can be distributed to all potential bidders through this website.

This website will be regularly updated, hence it is recommended that potential bidders visit the website on a regular basis. Industry will be notified through MERX of any major development in regards to the MSVS SMP project. It is recommended to monitor MERX on a regular basis for notices containing announcements and information concerning the MSVS SMP project. Potential bidders should also refer to the Request for Proposal section of this website for very important information concerning security requirements.

LOCATED ON THAT SITE ARE NUMEROUS PDF/MS WORD/MS POWER POINT FILES.

geo said:
Chapeski... So far, In Canada, "A" frames have pert much always been the domain of the Veh Techs & possibly the Transport Section...  Given that we have never really had any experience with them - not getting em (remember - domestic ops vehicle) really shouldn't make any difference.

The driver's tool of choice would be tow chains and tow cables.

We used to use A frames for long distances towing, as cables and chains are not legal on the road, our reserve unit had 2 sets.

Could components of the Navistar trucks, such as cargo beds be quickly produced in Canada? They are simple and the company could contract that portion and fitting to a Canadian company, merely with the required specs and CAD drawings. It wouldn't interefere with delivery greatly and would ease some of the pain. Also some longer term contracts to provide certain spare parts sourced from Canadian companies would spread the wealth around.

EME types always felt the A frames were their domain while the cables and chains were for us combat arms types to use when we got our trucks stuck... they didn't want user units to tow on an A frame - for fear of our breaking something... (or muscling in on their work)

Back