• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy lifestyle

MasterInstructor

Inactive
Reaction score
I am thinking about joining the Navy as a Naval Comm. I just curious about a life style of a Naval Comm. I read that until you reach Leading Seaman, you serve at sea only. How much sea time are we talking here? Should I expect to be back at the base every few months? Every 6 months? How long would we stay at the base? I know there are no exact numbers but in average?

Also second question, I have read that after 4 years, you become a corporal. When does that 4 years start?

Thanks

Under the junior NCMs, I am not reading the word corperal. A simple google search does show the Canadian Navy does have Leading Seamen.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/acf-apfc/Insig/navy-marine-eng.asp

A simple search of the Navy.ca site for: Nav Comm provides three pages of reading to answer most of your questions.

Here is one thread - http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/53466/post-484229#msg484229

You can also search the site for topics like:
- Sea Duty
- Ship' Routine
- Duty Watches

To help you learn more about the Naval experience.

Master Instructor:
You could do all that OR...someone could take just as much time and just answer your question(s).
1. You will NOT be at sea your first 4 years, you will be posted to a ship - That ship will have sea time. The averages for any given 12-month period are:
High Readiness: 4 - 6 months;
Normal Readiness: 2 - 4 months; and
Reduced Readiness: Measured in weeks.
Keep in mind that due to manning shortages, you MAY be bounced from ship to ship but guaranteed, you will have some ‘me’ time – we actually have CANFORGENs/MARGENs etc (rules) to ensure this.
Now someone will chime in and say “I was on HMCS XXXXX and we were gone for 8 months one year.”  This happens VERY rarely and I believe the last time was CHARLOTTETOWN and possibly VANCOUVER in 2001-2002.
2. Kratz is correct - There is no such thing as Corporal in the Navy – some Captains actually used to insist that Corporals/Sergeants etc. in the support trades (Cooks, Clerks, Supply…) be called LS/PO2 etc once on a ship. To answer your question however, if you keep your nose clean (behave yourself in and out of uniform; at work and away from work), you will get your LS rank in 48 months, 36 if you are really keen and your supervisor(s) put you up for advance promotion. Hint here – This will be the ONLY promotion you will likely get ‘on time’.
Hope this helps!! And best of Luck!

Thanks Pat in Halifax. I did search the forums but most of the info I found was about rotations etc but not about ships routine.

When the ship is at home port, what is the working schedule & duties like?

I am still not very clear about the promotion to LS. I know it will be 48 months, however I am not sure when does that 48 months start. Upon enrolment? After BMQC? After you are posted to a ship?

Sorry about using corporal.. I will get used to it!

Thanks

I am betting if you do a good search of the Navy forums you will find a lot of your answers to your questions. I know daily routine in there as its been discused over again.

Again (I hate doing searches too - soooo slooowwww!) so I will take a moment out of my busy day (note the time!!)
1. Workday alongside (generally) is 0800-1600.
2. Duty rotation depends on your job on the duty watch but averages about once every 10 to 12 days. This is likely to increase out to about 1 in 20 as ships adopt the reduced duty watches.
3. Your time starts on your enrollment date and everything in your career is based on that date.
Again, hope this helps

PS. Having said all this, I suggest you go to the Navy recruiting website (I don't have it handy but I suspect you do) and 'research' your trade.

Pat in Halifax said:
2. Kratz is correct - There is no such thing as Corporal in the Navy

Not true.  There is a  "Corporal of the Gangway" on the Duty Watch.

Pat in Halifax said:
To answer your question however, if you keep your nose clean (behave yourself in and out of uniform; at work and away from work), you will get your LS rank in 48 months, 36 if you are really keen and your supervisor(s) put you up for advance promotion. Hint here – This will be the ONLY promotion you will likely get ‘on time’.

hehe funny...good to know :)

MasterInstructor said:
Thanks Pat in Halifax. I did search the forums but most of the info I found was about rotations etc but not about ships routine.

When the ship is at home port, what is the working schedule & duties like?

I am still not very clear about the promotion to LS. I know it will be 48 months, however I am not sure when does that 48 months start. Upon enrolment? After BMQC? After you are posted to a ship?

Sorry about using corporal.. I will get used to it!

Thanks

48 months from enrolment.  You must also meet all of the training requirements for your occupation.

Back