• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Berets

para

Inactive
Reaction score
This is a topic that has been kicked around my unit since we got back from be deployed overv seas.
It seems that some genius who I am sure has stock in a certain company has issued a new contractor to manufacture berets for the forces.
The people who did the sizing ( if they did any at all) must have loved The DUKE or watched to many old US army movies. Because these thing are f@#$ing huge.
I have only relized this because I lost my Jump position.
Check your local QM cause it not just green it‘s maroon,blue and black.
wich leads me to why I started this rant.
Are there any normal berets left out there?

I don‘t mind going back to the bigger berets, but I don‘t like how they aren‘t green anymore---sure, they call them green, but they‘re really a dusty greyish colour with the faintest hint of green once they‘ve been worn a bit. They appear more black than green! The new maroon berets look suspiciously like the ones my American friends get issued. The only place I‘ve found the old Dorothea Knitting Mills green berets has been in a bin at the army surplus store.

Just buy a Belgian beret from the PPCLI kitshop.

To SPACEMARINE
you are missing the point, I was at the point where I bought one of those berets but they cost $23.00
The regular issues cost $7.50
I had to dig up my old one from 5 years of not wearing it, dust it off and put the dam thing on! :crybaby: :crybaby:

Heck, don‘t worry about berets.

What you want to worry about is whether some cost-conscious individual might discover that the US now has a large stock of "covers" that they are willing to let go cheaply...

Well, I got a new beret today... and I‘ve got to say, I was lucky enough to get an old beret when I got my first one... these new ones are horrible!

In anycase, question is, when removing the liner (shhh ;) ) does one generally leave in that bit of grey wool around the edges of the leather band?

Hypothetically, I might have left some of that grey wool around the edge, if I were to ever cut out the liner.

Why would you cut out the liner? Isn‘t that an integral part of the beret?

Or is it ‘easier‘ to form without the liner.

You‘re quite right, it is an integral part of the beret, and you shouldn‘t cut it out. Naughty.

Go ahead and cut it out. It fits much better without it. That little grey strip of wool usually stays after cutting the inside liner out.

A better style of beret(IMO) is the belgian one with the cloth liner (where the leather one is on Canadian style). Better cut of cloth and design. A few dollars more but looks much better than four feet of beret hanging over your noodle.

Just a word of advice to any new recruits reading this...don‘t cut the liner out until you finish basic...the staff will get a little pissy if you do!

As an explanation, technically removing the liner is destroying DND property.

Modifying the **** issue equipment to make it functional/useful/comfortable.... yeah, that NEVER happens in the CF... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are rucksacks full of rules that we live by in the CF. Most are non negotiable. However, realistically (as opposed to technically) speaking there are some rules that can be bent. I am not suggesting that you run out and destroy DND kit especially if the beret is the first and only one that gets issued (thus military prop) but in the combined 63 (yes that was sixty three) years of military service in my section alone not one person has ever heard of anyone getting charged/extras/sh1t upon outside of recruit school. After the first beret you must purchase all subsequent berets. If you want to cut your liner after recruit school and trades training I would be comfortable in saying that you would be safe.

But like tree hugger said recruits may want to avoid bringing any unecessary doom on them during recruit school.

Isn‘t that an integral part of the beret?
Yes - and a very important part. Most people don‘t realize that the liner is the part of the beret that contains the "thought shields". These shields, of course, protect you from the telepathic information gathering equipment, used by our enemies - earthly, and otherwise.

Thank goodness I don‘t have to wear a beret anymore.

Originally posted by muskrat89:
[qb]
Isn‘t that an integral part of the beret?
Yes - and a very important part. Most people don‘t realize that the liner is the part of the beret that contains the "thought shields". These shields, of course, protect you from the telepathic information gathering equipment, used by our enemies - earthly, and otherwise. [/qb]
thats why I relined mine with tin foil :D

Just curious, why don‘t people get 2 berets?
your issued one and lets say a belgian?
One for everyday wear, one for ceremonial/course whatev?

Originally posted by RoyalHighlandFusilier:
[qb] Thank goodness I don‘t have to wear a beret anymore. [/qb]
Only the army could make a beret, tam, etc, manly. ;)

Back