• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CF helmet in testing

Slightly off-topic; I was watching the video and towards the end it shows a soldier firing. I was just curious as to the type of sight he has on his rifle. Image here:

Silverfire said:
Is anyone noticing the similarity to the HALO style helmets?

halo-odst-solidworks-25.jpg

maybe in the future Canada will be the home of the mjolnir project! haha

That weapon sight is an Eotech on some kind of kludged up mount. The helmet looks like it really messes up eye-relief.

0tto Destruct said:
So, there's a lighter version for the "more logistical trades", but come on...if there's a chance it's going to be needed, everyone will likely wind up having to wear the whole thing anyway.

Also, how much does that thing weigh? I wonder if they're going to include a pamphlet with special neck strengthening exercises.

If I've gotta wear something that heavy and awkward...ya might as well go with something a little more fetching...like a Batman cowl!
Perhaps its lighter than it looks.  One can hope so anyways.

It's not the weight that worries me, it's how cumbersome it looks to shoot with. I want a helmet that's high in the back and doesn't cover my ears. They gave me the opposite.

I failed to mention the helmet also gives the soldier the power to choke the living sh!t out of his opponents.

Jim Seggie said:
I failed to mention the helmet also gives the soldier the power to choke the living sh!t out of his opponents.

Without even touching them.  :nod:

Jim Seggie said:
My suggestion, see picture

first the helmet, next the walkers, eventually the death star the Canadians' time will come, and we will one day form the empire!

PMedMoe said:
Without even touching them.  :nod:

Yes.  Good point. It also works to change peoples minds - these aren't the drunk Imperial Storm Troops you're looking for.

just noticed the thread, was wondering what combat arms units were trialing these helmets and in what conditions, i really dont want another lsvw experience , especially when it comes to my skull.
PS, i miss the helmet that helped against scrapnel, i could use to help dig my shellscape in a hurry or the best....... holding my  shaving water !! 8)

twistedfang790 said:
just noticed the thread, was wondering what combat arms units were trialing these helmets and in what conditions, i really dont want another lsvw experience , especially when it comes to my skull.
PS, i miss the helmet that helped against scrapnel, i could use to help dig my shellscape in a hurry or the best....... holding my  shaving water !! 8)

Go back and watch the video that's linked in the very first post, where most people start reading from.

thanks recceguy, checked out the video , kinda surprised that only 24 people from one regiment of all 3 regiments of the infantry , never mind the rest of the combat arms were "invited " to test out the helmet. The reality of military testing of equipment for ground troops tend to be a bit more complicated then having politically chosen soldiers giving the green light for equipment while the rest of us have to suffer the"its approved and issued,thank us you have new kit"that doesnt quiet meet the soldiers"real" standards of survival. Just my opinion. I've only always been a working soldier and might be missing a bigger picture out of my ...paygrade .
The helmet itself does look pretty cool, even to an older guy like me. Mind you a helmet is a helmet when it comes to the work , whether you are infantry, clerk, cook arty,driver.Helmets will not stop bullets, they will help agains scrapnel and getting thrown against something harder than your head(at the right angle).
thats my 3 cents.

Re: testing

Eons ago, I ran into PPCLI soldiers in Wainwright doing trials on "new" gear.

One group was the control group with the usual Canadian issue "stuff" (C-1 rifles and C-2 automatic rifles, steel helmets etc.)

One group had FN-CAL 5.56mm rifles, FN Minimi LMG's and Israeli paratrooper helmets

The last group had PASGAT helmets (US Kevlar), M-16 rifles and FN Minimi LMG's (apparently the LMG was already finalized by that point)

The group with the FN-CAL rifles and Isreali paratrooper helmets were very pleased with the equipment. The ones with the PASGAT helmets and M-16's were far less pleased with that equipment. Needless to say, we never got FN-CAL rifles, Israeli or PASGAT helmets...(The C-7 is quite evolved from the M-16, so I'll give that one a pass).

I have no idea why the equipment the troops chose was rejected, although factors like price and politics comes to mind (maybe FN wasn'r willing to let us build their rifles here or something), but I doubt that straightforward questions that you or I would consider important are at the top of the list when making these decisions (the LSVW is perhaps the most notorious case in point).

Thucydides said:
I have no idea why the equipment the troops chose was rejected, although factors like price and politics comes to mind (maybe FN wasn'r willing to let us build their rifles here or something), but I doubt that straightforward questions that you or I would consider important are at the top of the list when making these decisions (the LSVW is perhaps the most notorious case in point).

There are several reasons - and you mentioned one. Licensing agreements are one, the potential to create jobs in Canada is another. If a corporation refuses to allow its technology to be transferred to a Canadian corporation to create jobs - then the liklihood of that equipment being bought is lessened.

Cost is another factor - and the lowest bidder does not always win - its who gives the best bang for the buck!

twistedfang790 said:
The reality of military testing of equipment for ground troops tend to be a bit more complicated then having politically chosen soldiers giving the green light for equipment while the rest of us have to suffer the"its approved and issued,thank us you have new kit"that doesnt quiet meet the soldiers"real" standards of survival. Just my opinion.

Politicaly chosen soldiers ?

The term is "shrapnel".........

Jim Seggie said:
There are several reasons - and you mentioned one. Licensing agreements are one, the potential to create jobs in Canada is another. If a corporation refuses to allow its technology to be transferred to a Canadian corporation to create jobs - then the liklihood of that equipment being bought is lessened.

Cost is another factor - and the lowest bidder does not always win - its who gives the best bang for the buck!

If I remember correctly the main reason Canada chose the M-16 was for interoperability with American forces. 

Let's stay on track folks. The thread is about new helmet trials.

Milnet.ca Staff

Back