• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Designations

yoman said:
My unit is a Wing . We have 2 Squadron`s with 2 flights of about 30 cadets in each squadron and 1 band and 1 flag party for the hole wing. This is pretty new to me cause we were only designated a wing yesterday but when the WO1 calls us he says ''Wing'' instead of ''Squadron'' so maybe its called a wing on paper. All know more next week.

How large is the band?

4 flights about 30 each would mean 120 in ranks, 5 with flags, add in a few WO's...looking at what? 130 plus band? That's about the same size as 51...

I don't think the Corps/Squadrons are given their numbers according to when they were formed.  I know my corp is the oldest in BC (102 years) and our number is 2290 another corp in Vancouver is 72nd Seaforth Highlanders which came to about a decade or 2 later.  111 Pegasus is the oldest RCACS in Canada and there is other squadrons with smaller numbers.  As it looks I believe the Corps/Squadron numbers are random.

I know that in the army cadets corps numbers can be re issued just like uniforms if an older unit has closed and a new one starts the old number can and will be used.

The 72nd SHofC Cadets get their number from the  Reserve Battalion. They were originally the 72nd Vancouver Highlanders, Then became the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada.

When the Seaforths went overseas in WW1 they were the 72nd Batt Canadian Expeditionary Force

Burrows you are wrong. That was the original idea but over the years it changed. For example my sister corp is numbered  2402 and my corp, 748, split from them 25 years ago or something like that.

my72jeep said:
I know that in the army cadets corps numbers can be re issued just like uniforms if an older unit has closed and a new one starts the old number can and will be used.

Is this what happened possibly?

Not in my corp's case. We got our name from the streets surrounding our corp. They are Hwy. 7 and Hwy. 48 therefore 748

Our band is about 30 cadets and like 7 warrants plus a few extra Flight Seargents. I would say were about 160-170

Just wondering here...hoping the same wouldn't happen to 51, but we're 130ish so I don't see it happening.

Why wouldn't you want this to happen to 51? I like it, besides losing my flight seargent and the 2IC but in return got an other great flight seargent.

Frankly, I don't feel like having to deal with another major change in the organization of the sqn, I've seen a few in 5 years. They never seem to work out quite right and we end up back the way we were before...

Docherty said:
I don't think the Corps/Squadrons are given their numbers according to when they were formed. I know my corp is the oldest in BC (102 years) and our number is 2290 another corp in Vancouver is 72nd Seaforth Highlanders which came to about a decade or 2 later. 111 Pegasus is the oldest RCACS in Canada and there is other squadrons with smaller numbers. As it looks I believe the Corps/Squadron numbers are random.
On the air side there was an attempt to number in sequence - this soon rapidly fell apart.

Contrary to common belief 111 Sqn isn't the oldest. 6 Jim Whitecross Sqn is. Its been proven.

my72jeep said:
Air side this happens as well.

My unit has been around since 1944, i know their are older ones out their though.

PV

Oct 1938
6 Jim Whitecross Sqn - Winnipeg.Read more here.
Official Legue Charter - Sep 1941-  There are a few formed on this initial date of recognition.

PViddy said:
My unit has been around since 1944, i know their are older ones out their though.

PV

i am pretty sure that my corp has been around since 1911. but it is not the oldest either

Naturally you will find some Army Cadet Corps that have been around for quite awhile, longer than air units since the whole Airforce concept really came into conception around the WW2 era.

PV

The Term Squadron actually came from the Engineers in that the first aircraft in WW1 were actually maintained and operated by the Engineers before formation of the Canadian Air Force.  Hence the term Squadron was carried forward from the Engineers who are still organized in formations of Squadrons made up of Troops.

Back