• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oakely Laser Lens

They are lens that you can put on your M Frame Oakleys that prevent you from going blind if someone where to shoot a laser at you. green in colour.

Incase someone shoots a laser at you? Holy ****. Our enemies are using lasers?? I wonder if dimaco is designing a C7 laser rifle variant to keep up with the arms race. What if the laser hits you in the chest and not the eye, you‘ll need a whole anti-laser suit :)

Originally posted by Ghost778:
[qb] Incase someone shoots a laser at you? Holy ****. Our enemies are using lasers?? I wonder if dimaco is designing a C7 laser rifle variant to keep up with the arms race. What if the laser hits you in the chest and not the eye, you‘ll need a whole anti-laser suit :) [/qb]
We have been using lasers for the last thirty years. That is what we use for range finders and designators. Nothing new there.

GW

Oakley M Frame Laser Lens: 820-850nm, 1064nm

The manufacturer offers a page of tech data, but doesn‘t answer some basic questions:

Specifically which lasers, deployed by what countries, in what roles, do these lenses protect against? Laser light is not a simple threat that one type of lens treatment will defeat every laser that has been fielded. Also, what affect do the lenses have on normal vision, is there a loss of contrast or a colour shift that will degrade normal visual acuity, even slightly? At what ranges are they effective for the more dangerous Class III & IV lasers? How effective are they when the wearer is using magnification optics, which can increase the potential hazard of an intercepted leaser beam by the level of magnification? Are the odds of requiring the offered protection worth the potential risks?

Then again, who really cares, don‘t they look cool. ;-)

"It‘s OK Sergeant-Major, they‘re not issued, but they protect me from lasers."

Just offering some food for thought.

Mike

I know, we use lasers for a lot of things but spending what would likely be a large sum of cash on sunglasses that protect you from ‘lasers‘ is a waste of money. The chances of you getting hit in the eye with a laser range finder is pretty nill.

The bino‘s we use that have the protective coating on are a joke in my opinion as well, if someones looking through them they can be seen a mile away with the green reflective light.

Save your money CFL, chances are you wouldnt be allowed sun glasses in the field anyways

They would mainly be employed by snipers.

The US has a system that detects optic reflections and fires a laser at it, taking out a persons retinas rendering them ineffective.

Just keeping my options open. I need a new set of shades and I‘m thinking of getting something like the M Frame where I can change the lenses between say clear, regular, yellow for low light, and possible laser.
Anyone know of if any ballistic protection these provide. I remember the story of how some lenses can withsatnd a shot by a shot gun from 40 feet away with buckshot. Any truth to that.

The only ballistic protection you‘ll get is probably from your buddies fingers. Extra bonus if your hand is inbetween them.

In order to protect against all forms of laser‘s you‘d need glasses that protect against all wavelengths of light. If you had that you wouldn‘t be able to see :(

lol
I mean if you get a blast to the face from a shot gun with 00 buck and your shades don‘t break, thats money well spent :)

If your getting sunglasses for the field just buy cheap oakley imitation ones. They work just as good and it‘s $10 instead of $300.

Don‘t listen to stories either, god thats scarry.

Oakley offers the best ballistic protection and visual acuity in the world. Yes, M-Frames will stop pellets from a shotgun blast. I‘m not positive of the distance or size of shot. I had the info but I used it in a pitch to the RSM to allow the troops to use M-frames in lieu of those crappy so called ballistic glasses that they issue us now. Let me tell you they are worth the money. They defiantly work, I know from experience...
The laser lens is expensive though. I wouldn‘t buy one unless I was positive that I would need it, even though I only pay half price...

Back