• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer going NCM... does IAP BOTP CAP count for anything?

Brasidas said:
From what I've read of the TP, CAP/BMOQ(L) sounds an aweful lot like PLQ mod 6. Section attacks, defensives, and patrols. What do you see on there that are "sergeant level skills" that aren't covered in PLQ?

Nothing.  The table makes reference to PLQ, PLQ-L, JLC, CLC, BOTC and BMOQ.  There are no credits listed for any type of occupational training.  In the case of prior BOTC or BMOQ, you must first complete your NCM QL3 training (OFP).  Once qualified in the new occupation, then and only then are you to submit a PLAR for the PLQ qual...I don't believe it can be granted in advance of the OFP.

Hmm, maybe it is different for Officer -> NCM stuff, however on the NCM side, I know a mbr who CTd/OTd and the PLAR granted him his PLQ, and he was QL0 in his new MOC. 

Could be apples and oranges though.

Part of the CT process is a PLAR conducted by CDA to determine which reserve courses carry into the RegF. That would explain why it was done in advance of DP1 training in the new MOC. I don't think a PLAR is automatically done with just an OT.

Yes, but I was more leaning toward the "PLQ cannot be granted before being QL3 quald or at OFP [not all MOCs have their OFP at QL3].

Eye In The Sky said:
Yes, but I was more leaning toward the "PLQ cannot be granted before being QL3 quald or at OFP [not all MOCs have their OFP at QL3].

That's exactly what the PD Validation Matrix states "PLAR for PLQ to be submitted after reaching the OFP".

With BMOQ(L) done you should be credited BMQ(L), and once you hit OFP you should be able to have the entirety of the new Army-PLQ written off; the new system being comprised of Mods 1-4.

What MOS are you transferring from/to?

Brasidas said:
From what I've read of the TP, CAP/BMOQ(L) sounds an aweful lot like PLQ mod 6. Section attacks, defensives, and patrols. What do you see on there that are "sergeant level skills" that aren't covered in PLQ?

For a good comparison, read the QS for BMOQ-L, BMOQ, and PLQ.  You'll notice, mostly, they overlap but there are some areas where one course lacks elements of the other.  For example, instructional techniques isn't really present during BMOQ-L, nor do officers learn how to give a drill class.  On the other hand, PLQ only teaches up to function as an ARSO whereas BMOQ-L requires students to conduct a range.

It's the alignment of POs that permit easy PLARs. 

Brasidas said:

To be honest, I am not sure how it stacks up. I am referencing the old JLC/ISCC model, so I know it is out of date. My thought process is that it is a section commander's course and section commander are sgts. You also qualify as an RSO and have to do range orders and the like. Like I said, I am curious because I am having a hard time finding references. I will look at the CDA directive mentioned.

Not to derail, but I am currently trying to decide between pursuing the DEO or NCM route for infantry.  I was wondering what the OP (and others) reasons are for switching to NCM after attaining your commission?

goodreed said:
I was wondering what the OP (and others) reasons are for switching to NCM after attaining your commission?

Usually they have failed in training and have been told that if they wish to continue their service it will not be as an officer. It happens that some officers voluntarily relinquish commission, but it's rare, and normally they're moving into something quite specialized it they do.

Back