• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OP Athena boonie hat mods

SHELLDRAKE!!

Inactive
Reaction score
This post is adressed towards the members of ROTO 0 in Afghanistan who felt the current issue boonie hat was not stylish enough.I would suggest that if you feel that a piece of your uniform does not make you attractive to the BURKA clad locals of Kabul, maybee you should reconsider your employment in the CF.The cutting of the hat brim was conducted by hundreds of soldiers on this tour including company OC's and even though an order was passed that members would be fined, they continued to wear the modified hats.In my day if you had the wrong headress(modified headress) you wore your helmet until it was sorted out.The excuse of, "I cant see through my sight with a big brim" is about the most pathetic one ive heard.They are boony hats not sombreros.Again these members are more concerned about their "rambo" image than maintaining the discipline that holds the Canadian Military as one of the most respected forces in the world.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
This post is adressed towards the members of ROTO 0 in Afghanistan who felt the current issue boonie hat was not stylish enough.I would suggest that if you feel that a piece of your uniform does not make you attractive to the BURKA clad locals of Kabul, maybee you should reconsider your employment in the CF.The cutting of the hat brim was conducted by hundreds of soldiers on this tour including company OC's and even though an order was passed that members would be fined, they continued to wear the modified hats.In my day if you had the wrong headress(modified headress) you wore your helmet until it was sorted out.The excuse of, "I cant see through my sight with a big brim" is about the most pathetic one ive heard.They are boony hats not sombreros.Again these members are more concerned about their "rambo" image than maintaining the discipline that holds the Canadian Military as one of the most respected forces in the world.

Right.  

Only ever wear issue kit.   Never propose an alternate solution.   Let us have an army full of drones.    "FORM SQUARE"

I wasn't on Athena 0, so I can't comment too much, other than I know many who were, and while being excellent, smart, tough soldiers, they certainly weren't "Rambo" types.

Sounds like you might have some baggage here.  

If it is therapeutic please continue to vent.

Appologies if my term "Rambo" was misinterpreted, I was there and found that there were those who felt they needed to stand out.Take for instance the wearing of the triangular bandage as an aunt jemimah look.In the 80's it was an accepted field headdress(accepted not authorized) however if you walked into any base tim hortons and saw that I would hope words would be said.So if its not alright to do it in Canada, why would you do it overseas in the eye of world media which portrays the CF badly as it is.

This has already been covered:

Here:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/19518.0.html

and here:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/18831.0.html

There are also numerous threads on why the guys modified their kit. Please search for them.

There is also plenty of guys here that were on ROTO 0, humping through the mountains, etc that would love to rebutt the arrogant attitude you showed up here with. Voicing your opinion is one thing, charging in with the opening tirade you used is quite another. Cool it for awhile, I'm not letting this turn into a flame war.

Wow,I am flabbergasted at the utter stupidity of Sheldrake's post..So in your vast experience and mastery of field craft please explain how the oversized brim was both effective and required on Roto 0,explain how the wide brim was an asset on recce patrols,observation duties and the like.Or were you a hanger on REMF that never left the camp except for the odd trip to the market day,or maybe the ranges?? If you had actually been out in the boonies conducting patrols you would see why the brim was cut. In short go and f#ck your self!! :salute:

Back