• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opinions requested for the position I now find myself in.

jparkin

Inactive
Reaction score
Good evening everyone

Just to start off, Mods please feel free to move my thread to a different location if I chose a poor one. My question involves quite a few different topics, so I thought I would try it here.

Here's the situation. I am currently in the application process for joining the reserves as an infantryman. Today I went in to the RC to complete my physical, medical, and interview. Upon arriving at the RC, I was informed that my interview would be different than usual because of some things the captain interviewing me wanted to discuss. Both the physical and medical went without a hitch. When I was invited in for my interview, the captain told me that my backcheck had been cleared and that everything was going smoothly. He then told me that my file had been reviewed and he had been asked to ask me if I was interested in ROTP, as I had achieved a very good CFAT score and my application was very competitive. I was told that I am eligible to apply for any trade through ROTP.

He asked why I hadn't considered ROTP to begin with, as I am currently taking engineering at UBC. I explained to him that I felt that serving as a NCM in the reserves before joining the regular force and getting a commission would give me an understanding of how to lead best. He agreed that it was a good idea, but explained to me that ROTP would be the best way for me to go. He assured me that my file was extremely competitive and I would have no trouble getting accepted if I switched my application from reserves to ROTP. He explained that the deadline for me to decide if I wanted to switch my file or not was the end of this week.

Now this is where I would appreciate your opinions. I am very satisfied at UBC and would like to continue studying here, though I have no problems whatsoever with RMC. I was told by my interviewer that the chances of me being offered the opportunity to study at UBC were slim, as RMC would most likely want me to study there because of my marks. As I see it now, I have three options:

1) I stick to my guns and continue with the application for reserves. I wait until I get my BASc and then go for DEO.
2) I change my application to ROTP and take what they offer me, since it seems to be the best way to get into the military as a career.
3) I change my application to ROTP and only accept the offer if I am permitted to study at UBC. If I decline the offer, I switch my file back to reserve force, thereby delaying it by the time I took to apply for ROTP.

The reason I am feeling pressure to make a decision is the short deadline I was given. If I want to apply for ROTP, I need to get the application and interview done by Friday.

Cliffs:
-told that switching my file to ROTP would be best way to go
-like UBC, so unsure if switching to RMC would be worth it
-don't want to get stuck being somewhere I don't want to be, but don't want to be too picky (should I be picky?)
-deadline to decide approaching fast

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and reply!

Jonathan

Are you considering making the military a career?

If you want to be full time engineer and part time soldier then stay in BC and join the reserves as NCM and let your reserve career develope naturally.
If you want to join the reserves while you are in uni and then CT to regulars when your degree is done, then ROTP may be better choice. 
-Pros: More money in your pocket, pension earlier
-Cons: Moving to a university you might not like, signing on for a commitment you are unsure about

There are lots of threads about life at RMC.

The Recruiting Centre does not decide whether you got to RMC or stay at UBC.  Since it would be cheaper for you to stay at UBC, there is a reasonable possibility that you will be allowed to stay there.  You won't know unless you try.  There are many factors that will be considered before that decision is made.

It costs you nothing to apply.  I always advise folks to apply for everything and see what comes up.  It is always easier to turn down multiple offers than it is to live with the fact that you ended up with nothing because you put all your eggs in one basket and didn't get selected.

You have a bird in the hand.  Take advantage of it.  Although getting "experience" as a Reserve NCM is commendable, in the long run, I'm not convinced it's worth passing up an opportunity.

ROTP provides free tuition, a salary, benefits, free text books and supplies and is all pensionable time.  If you want to be in the CF anyway, it's a pretty sweet deal (NB:  if you don't want to be in the military, DON'T do it - it's not THAT sweet).

You need to think hard when opportunity knocks.  This is the kind of decision that leaders need to make.

Thank you for your responses. It is nice to get some feedback from experienced members. I have decided that, since being in the military full time is my goal after university, I may as well take advantage of the opportunity that I have to join through ROTP. Thanks again, Pusser and AmmoTech90.
Jonathan

Back