• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPVs

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
From the Ottawa Citizen 12 July 2004 by our very own a journalist:

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=04d72eb9-8539-4a86-a07c-45c2afa279b6

High time we did this and very needed. If it goes through it will be interesting to see what we name them as we are kind of running out of city names lol.

They could always dust off the names of some of our more honoured corvettes from WWII.

Dragoon, how would you feel about serving with a crew of civilians and some military personnel? 

Or is the civies they're talking about like RCMP and DFO members? 

I have no problems serving with anyone as long as they can do their job and pull their weight.

DFO/CCG no mention of RCMP.

Dragoon, would you say that there would be conflict between navy personnel and the civilians on the ships, like the article says? Could you see this as a possibility? I am a civilian so my knowledge is limited, but I am pretty sure that several other countries have ships with mixed personnel and they have no problem. What are your thoughts?

I am unaware of any navy that sails with a mixed crew on a major or minor surface combatant, auuxillaries and suppport ships yes. Not saying it isn't possible and does not happen but right now I can't think of any nation that does so.

As I said before I would have no problem sailing with a civillian personnel as long as they pull their weight and do their jobs. A lot of peoples reluctance will comes through dealing with a union. Give you a case in point. One time during a period of dockside maintenance some equipment was left out in the flats, I aske4d nicely if it could be moved out of the way. The workers stopped worked and complained to their union rep who complained to my cox'n that I was creating a stressfull work enviroment for the dockyard mateys. I got a major blast needless to say. Moral of the story if civillians sail and they are part of a union then its going to cause problems. That being said, I have met some excellent CCG guys who will bend over backwards for you.

Here's a link to the Brit. R.F.A. ,and if you go to the link about the fleet you will note that R.N. pers. serve alongside civies on some of the ship's.

http://www.rfa.mod.uk/#

I am somewhat suspicious that the propsed OPV program will be executed on a 2 or 3 to 1 trade off for FFG's. I am concerned that the FFG fleet will be reduced to half strength, making FELEX more affordable while further accomplishing the unstated objective of eventual demilitarization by Canada. I would be very surprised to see the JSS or ASLV vessel see the light of day ... extremely influential special interest opposition is very strong against this ship, and there are several [tax payer funded] initiatives underway to persuade Cabinet to scuttle the program.  Without a replacement for the DDH, [and FELEX not representing a remotely suitable alternative for that capability] we are already well on the way to a coastal navy. Also, I am currently researching something that popped up on the CASR website under the SSK Vicotria section... is there a plan in the works for an SBS type unit in the CF? That is the impression I got from the site at :

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-navrhib.htm

I have not uncovered a single authoritative document to corroborate the claim made on the page- problem is the CASR website is extremely well researched and has an outstanding reputation as a highly reliable secondary source of intel. Anybody know the latest unclass scoop on this project?

extremely influential special interest opposition is very strong against this ship, and there are several [tax payer funded] initiatives underway to persuade Cabinet to scuttle the program.

OK W601, you've got my interest.  Care to elaborate?  What opposition, by whom and who is paying the bills? 

Don't you just hate teases? ;D

Cheers.

A good option for the OPVs i think would be a covette that the german navy.

Main characteristics ship platform:
Length, overall: 88.30 m
Beam, overall: 13.23 m
Design displacement: 1,650 t

Propulsion:
2 diesel engines 7,400 kW each
2 shafts with controllable pitch propellers
rudder roll stabilization system
Maximum speed > 26 kn
Range > 2,500 nm

Modules:
5 weapon modules

Crew :
Total: 65

The specification of the new Class 130 generation of corvettes for the German Navy, defined on a competitive basis, has been finalised with the discision of the German Ministry of Defence to open contractual negotiations with the ARGE K130 for the building of 5 corvettes. The ARGE K130 brings together the shipyards Friedrich Lürssen Werft (FLW) and Nordseewerke (NSW), under the overall control of Blohm + Voss (B+V). The building contract was signed on 13 December 2001.

The design concept of the ARGE K130 is based on the development of B+V's MEKO® Class A frigates and corvettes - a concept that has attracted significant interest on the international market - and on the latest FLW design concepts for export orders.

In important fields of technology, the developments that were begun for the Class 124 frigates, have been consistently followed through, for example in the area of on-board automation, in the computer and network technology and in the software for weapons and guidance systems.

In addition, the K130 incorporates numerous new developments and innovative proposals. As an example, the K130 will be the first naval ship in the world to be fitted with 2 drones for area reconnaissance and monitoring beyond the radar horizon. As far as the radar and infrared signature is concerned, the K130 has stealth properties. This permits deployment in coastal waters in particular within the remit of multinational rapid response forces.

A standard of accommodation and comfort hitherto unattained in naval vessels has been achieved. The accommodation is designed to take both male and female crews.

l

Having to be working in Stad where doctrine and tactics are fine tuned I can assure you there are no plans to get rid of any CPFs or leave the 280s unreplaced. The program has been overhauled becuase it just got too enormous for its own good. They are back to the basics again. The K130 while an excellent class is still a corvette and what DND wants is something that can do coastal patrols, the OPV. The navy has no intention in becoming a coastal navy hence the JSS project, if anything you will see CPFs deploy more and more (oh joy).

Well if you are looking for a OPV the HMS Tyne is the first of the new River Class Future Offshore Patrol Vessels (FOPV) It looks to be the right size that we are looking for.

you can find it at this url http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/3741.html

River class are nice but part of the requirements is for the OPV to be able do to 20-25 knots. The River is below that at 16-17 knots.

Janes has them listed to go 29+ knots, thats all I will say on a capability.

How about this OPV as an option

http://212.72.173.53/en/page.php?page_id=PG-96

Main characteristics ship platform:
Length, overall 91.10 m
Length, DWL 82.80 m
Beam 12.85 m
Max. draught incl. propeller 3.40 m
Full load displacement approx. 1,600 t
Range > 3,500 nm
Endurance 20 days

Propulsion:
2 diesel engines 4,750 kW each
2 generators 800 kVA each
+ 350 kVA emergency
2 shafts fitted with controllable pitch propellers
Speed at full load displacement 23 kn

Crew:
Total max. 70

Helicopter :
optional

The MEKO® 100 OPV hull is based on the MEKO® 100 design - six vessels are under current construction for the Royal Malaysian Navy - and the same principles form the baseline for the Polish corvettes. The all-steel hull is subdivided into nine watertight compartments and adopts the modular concept for the weapon and electronic systems. The ship service installations are mounted as packaged systems. Space and weight margins are provided for further mission modules, or for additional outfitting/upgrades at a later date.

Characteristic for the vessel is the large helicopter deck with flush fixation points for equipment and containers. The deck strength, size and hangar dimensions comply with the requirements for a 12-tonne helicopter.

A special feature taken from the MEKO® corvette design is the main engine and generator diesel side exhausts leading through the hull's side shell. This feature enables greater flexibility and more unobstructed space in the upper decks.
The structure is designed in such a way as to easily accommodate the necessary filters for a NBC citadel to protect the accommodation area and engine rooms. All machinery is distributed in three different watertight compartments.

As the vessel has been designed for prolonged periods at sea with a high availability, a simple, rugged, twin shaft CPP propulsion design with high speed diesels as the prime movers was selected. For extended loitering speeds below eight knots, a PTI-Electric-Loiter Drive unit complements the system and permits unlimited slow speeds between 0 - 8 knots.

Two main generators are installed in individual engine rooms for electric power generation and distribution. In addition, an emergency and harbour generator is installed on the 1st deck. The main generator capacities ensure 100% redundancy, and the emergency generator is dimensioned to serve harbour loads. Ubiquitous AC and DC nets are provided for power distribution. Converters and transformers take care of special consumers and systems.

All ship service systems are laid out according to good merchant marine standards and comply to the Germanischer Lloyd rules and provide adequate redundancy. Special emphasis has been given to a modern, effective fire fighting system. In addition to the general seawater system, a fixed CO2 as well as a foam system is provided to protect the engine rooms. A dry powder system is installed on the flight deck and two monitors protect the vessel against sea surface oil fires and can be used when fighting fires on other ships.

Certainly a nice and seemingly capable ship. I am kind of hoping they go for something based upon the Irish Navy's Eithne class. That class was designed for the weather in the North Atlantic in mind.

If they are smart they would split the building of the OPVs between Vancouver and Halifax shipyards keeping everyone happy that is if the project comes to light. ;D

Do we have shipyards that are capable of building warships now?  I always thought that the two operational yards were Davie and St. John Shipping (is that what they're called?) and if so, haven't they both closed down?

Davie's is open St. John is closed there are shipyards in Vancouver and Halifax big enough to build a OPV. :)

Back