• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Out of Province Summer BMQ

leed24

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm almost done the whole recruiting process.  I'm just missing my PT test.  Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether an out of province summer BMQ is possible.  I live in Hamilton, Ontario.  The reason I am asking is that I hear that this year there will be less spots availible for summer BMQ and SQ due to the lack of instructors.  During my interview, I asked about this, and I was told that there MAY be a chance that the whole country will be lacking instructors this summer.  The truth is, I'm in school and I cannot afford to do weekend BMQ due to work and extracurricular activities.  I really want to do this though.  Has anyone had any experience with doing Basic in another province?  Or whether this is an option at all?

Thanks!

one question...what grade are you in, like university or highschool...?(dont take wrong way...not being sarcastic here)

Caleix

well... from the reports I just got, LFQA will have a similar problem this year.
It's an exciting time to be in the Forces, lots of things happening but our personnel resources are stretched somewhat thin at the present time. The local Reserve Bde will be pulling out of Regular & Reserve staff from it's armouries and headquarters to staff it's requirements (+/-)... but have serious doubts that there will be any room left for people from other regions to join the fun....

There's no reason why other regions can't do the same.

Hi,

I've also heard that you can get more money if you do the courses out of province (or long distance).  I live in Ontario but would like to do my Pres training in Quebec as I'm bilingual and wouldn't mind the extra cash.

Any word on if that's possible or if there's an out-of-province bonus?
Thanks

You don't get more money for doing a course out of province.  If you are on Class B (a full time course) in Ontario and are not going home at night, you will get the same amount of money if you did the course in AB.

BB...
If the BQ & SQ are conducted at the Home armoury, you get pay & some FOA
If you do the whole BQ, SQ thing away from home... you get pay & TD /FOA....
if TD is 17$ per day, it adds up.

geo said:
BB...

You cant draw TD and FOA at the same time though..........whats FOA worth these days ?

I think about $13 or $15 for FoA. (I remember this summer TD was actually more then FoA, which didn't make a lot of sense to me)

Anyway, if you're looking to do BMQ/SQ with the reserves this summer I'm from Hamilton and my unit (as the entire comm res does) sends their basic/sq candidates to CFB Shilo, MB.

If you're interested send me a PM I have a pretty good relationship with my unit recruiter and can get you in contact with them.

beach_bum said:
If you are on Class B (a full time course) in Ontario and are not going home at night, you will get the same amount of money if you did the course in AB.

geo said:
BB...

That is why I specified on Class B and not going home at night.  The mbr would be on TD, or if in the field in receipt of FOA.  Therefore, it doesn't matter what province the member is in. 

Thanks for the info guys, though I'm still a little confused ( TD & FOA? ).

BobDylan said:
Hi,

I've also heard that you can get more money if you do the courses out of province (or long distance).  I live in Ontario but would like to do my Pres training in Quebec as I'm bilingual and wouldn't mind the extra cash.

Any word on if that's possible or if there's an out-of-province bonus?
Thanks

If there's spots in Ontario to do your training that's where it will be done, they will not send you  out of the province to do any courses UNLESS they have to, because it cost the Unit extra cash that they could be using elsewhere.

BobDylan said:
Thanks for the info guys, though I'm still a little confused ( TD & FOA? ).
FOA = field ops allowance... a taxable allowance to compensate for hardship in the field.

TD = temporary duties, a non taxable allowance for incidental expenses while away from home - shampoo, laundromats and the like.

As TD is non taxable - TD is a better deal... IMHO

Back